Ennis headed back to the D-League. 2 questions ? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis headed back to the D-League. 2 questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.5 or whatever, the government gets it's share, agent, etc gets their share. Not a ton left over if he doesn't get that second contract. He's basically a AAAA player now. If that was a good plan so be it. To me more investment in college could've yielded a better reward for both of those guys.
Agents get 2-4% of player's contract salaries depending on the agent. Agents make their $$$ off athletes endorsements.

Your opinion is fine but it is tilted to what is best for JB, SU hoops, and us fans. Ennis doesn't have to go to class, do his class work and can work on his craft more easily not playing college hoops. Playing 2-3 zone another year does not help Ennis get better prepared for the NBA it helps SU/JB/Us fans.

Every player who decides to leave early makes the right decision because they want to become professionals. Playing college basketball is fun I am sure but on the first and fifteenth you don't get huge checks.

We agree on Grant - it's almost dumb luck he landed with Philly but good for him.

I don't buy the argument that Ennis should leave before he gets exposed (Do McAdoo and Thomas get that second contract for leaving early or is the argument to get over on a team and GM before you get run off?). A stronger Ennis would get himself into a better position to stick long term. That won't happen obviously so we'll see in a couple of years how this plays out.

Well McAdoo and Thomas didn't get the first contract, so advantage Ennis on that one. He's not a full-time D League player- he's been in Bakersfield for about a week this season.

Agents get 2-4% of player's contract salaries depending on the agent. Agents make their $$$ off athletes endorsements.

Your opinion is fine but it is tilted to what is best for JB, SU hoops, and us fans. Ennis doesn't have to go to class, do his class work and can work on his craft more easily not playing college hoops. Playing 2-3 zone another year does not help Ennis get better prepared for the NBA it helps SU/JB/Us fans.

Every player who decides to leave early makes the right decision because they want to become professionals. Playing college basketball is fun I am sure but on the first and fifteenth you don't get huge checks.

I'll trade off the zone argument for meaningful big time game experience. Ennis isn't getting that right now.

It came up earlier - how does the D-league, extended road trips, etc make access easier to hoop than living across the street from a dedicated NBA level facility for the SU players? Not sure bouncing back and forth and all that time on the road is a better option.

It's a clear difference of opinion - they should of course want to be professionals but they should be ready. The spot Ennis is in - not sure that is an enviable one.

Where are all the quality Melo Center workouts coming with SU's schedule, classes, travel, tutoring/study table, and the 20/hr a week NCAA rule? I mean in theory, development in college can occur in summer, but during the season, a D1 player has less time to work on their game than any NBA guy does- even with the 82 game schedule.

Bayside44 said:
In Bakersfield and D League road games (or NBA road trips for that matter)? Those kids at SU have the key to Melo 24-7.

Grants in the NBA and Ennis is going back and forth while being with the big club during training camp and the preseason. I'm willing to bet that both of them have worked out more since they were drafted then they ever have before. No school work, no guarding Griffin Hoffman at practice, and I'm sorry, Melo center isn't close to an NBA facility.

Grants in the NBA and Ennis is going back and forth while being with the big club during training camp and the preseason. I'm willing to bet that both of them have worked out more since they were drafted then they ever have before. No school work, no guarding Griffin Hoffman at practice, and I'm sorry, Melo center isn't close to an NBA facility.

I'd venture a guess that the trainers/nutritionists are superior as well...just by looking at Grant with the Sixers.

http://www.stack.com/video/1875277529/phoenix-suns-facility-tour/

But does he get to use these facilities in the D-league?

It is a real shame people want to make it seem like Ennis made a bad decision. These college players are not getting paid they are student-athletes Ennis wanted to turn pro. It sucks we only got him for 1 year but if Jim Boeheim used his scholarships different it would not matter to these fans criticizing Ennis. If we had a stud PG right now these complaints are not likely.

Grant and Ennis left early we had an extra scholly besides those two that JB didn't use. Why didn't JB recruit a JUCO or 1 year 5th yr senior with that extra scholarship?

Who cares if Ennis went 11th or 19th he difference in money is not that much. Ennis wanted to play pro ball. Basketball draft is all about potential. McCollough is gone I wish it was a different era but these posts talking about Ennis using the Melo Center are flat out hilarious. Do people completely ignore the academic requirements of these players.

I can recognize that a valid argument can be made that TE should've stayed (not that I'd agree)

But using the stints in the dLeague as some indictment of his decision making is not one.

I can recognize that a valid argument can be made that TE should've stayed (not that I'd agree)

But using the stints in the dLeague as some indictment of his decision making is not one.
I agree with this. I wish selfishly he stayed for our program to win but his decision wasn't bad because he is in the D-league rookies in the NBA don't typically flourish right away.

I'll trade off the zone argument for meaningful big time game experience. Ennis isn't getting that right now.

It came up earlier - how does the D-league, extended road trips, etc make access easier to hoop than living across the street from a dedicated NBA level facility for the SU players? Not sure bouncing back and forth and all that time on the road is a better option.

It's a clear difference of opinion - they should of course want to be professionals but they should be ready. The spot Ennis is in - not sure that is an enviable one.

The D-League is just a part of the player development program... not the team the player is on.

The Raptors will only send Bruno Caboclo down to D-League twice this season. The specific dates were determined before the regular season started. He would only get sent down twice and they would be both worked around 2 extended road trips. The rest of the time assistants are available at the facilities multiple times a week... as well as practices. He stays with the team - better coaches, trainers, players, and if he is dedicated to the craft more time to work on his skills and body than if he were in the NCAA.

As I said before it really comes down to if a player is mature enough to work on development outside of game play. It can work for both players... to me there is no 100% right way every time. But I don't think NCAA game play is the end all.

I always find it hilarious that some of these folks think that the NBA doesn't have better facilities, coaches, and trainers for their players needs.

The league only grossed around $5 billion last year, so you can see where people might think they don't have the same kind of money that Syracuse does to provide for their players.

The league only grossed around $5 billion last year, so you can see where people might think they don't have the same kind of money that Syracuse does to provide for their players.

The melo center doe

You think an NBA staff is spending a ton of time working with the 15th or so guy on the roster when they need to win that night? Our guys get all the meals they want from the team, they aren't surviving on chicken wings.

Baseball has even changed, Triple A is for the guys that are subs, the talent goes from AA to the majors. This big time guys spend minimal time there.
They absolutely care about play
Knicks, how are you only coming up on 2000 likes? Doesn't make sense to me.

Melo is a very nice facility, but are NBA teams sharing their practice space with a WNBA team and Volleyball squad in-season? Have heard nothing but positives about Pike and Cabiles, but again most NBA teams have more than one trainer and S&C coach available.

Hornets coach when taking about Noah Vonley:

“It’s the speed of the game: To play consistent, regular minutes you have to have a comfort level with how the NBA game is played,” Clifford said. “Unfortunately once the season starts you only have certain stretches of the year where you can practice a lot.

I think it goes both ways..you can definitely get better through individual workouts on both the college and pro level. I think you still get more practice time in college than at the pro level.

you guys are holding out on me! keep them coming

Most sensible post in this arduous thread. Let me be the first to honor your request. Some of these guys slack on occasion, but I dont say that in a judgmental way.

Status
Not open for further replies.