Ennis, NBA "stock," and ??? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis, NBA "stock," and ???

Exactly.
It also leaves many of us in the precarious position for accusations of being "sunshine pumpers" or wearing "orange-colored glasses", when we speak up for players like TE, Donte Greene, Jonny Flynn, hell...almost every player who's been drafted in the last 10 years, and from OUR OWN FANS!
As a personal observation, it seems like that "take" is more prevalent on this forum than others. There seems to be a pervasive theme that somehow if one of our players gets drafted, that he pulled something over on the NBA, or he didn't really "deserve" to go that high, or he'll be "exposed" soon enough at the next level. TE getting sent to the D-League is greeted with a multi-page "I told you so thread", same with any negative issues involving Donte, Jonny, MCW, etc. The negatives are emphasized, whereas the positives are minimized, rationalized, and picked apart.
I don't get why the constant nit-picking of our own guys shines anything other than a negative light on some of our fanbase. We can be hard on ourselves w/out seemingly acknowledging every negative aspect involving the player(s)...just to make a point.
No one wants to be a blind follower, and message boards are places for diverse opinions obviously. But the constant pessimistic emphasis towards former SU players seems a little bizarre. JMHO
I'm probably one of the bigger sunshine pumpers up in here. Couldn't stop gushing about what TE was doing last year. He was a tremendous college freshman PG. I was only trying to (and apparently failing to) express that where he went in last year's draft seemed (to me) to be a bit out of whack compared to other comparable players this year. I can concede now that Perrantes and Jackson aren't the best examples - I had just quick grabbed them off the top of my head, because they definitely pass the "eye test." I would maintain there are certainly other fitting examples around the country to use, however.
I think it's very much possible to discuss such things on this board, while still not denigrating our players.

Really? You do?
Monte Morris
Delon Wright
Isiah Taylor
Melo Trimble
Andrew Harrison
Fred VanVleet
Juwan Staten
Keifer Sykes
Frank Mason
Olivier Hanlan
Travis Trice
Nic Moore

Monte Morris
Delon Wright
Isiah Taylor
Melo Trimble
Andrew Harrison
Fred VanVleet
Juwan Staten
Keifer Sykes
Frank Mason
Olivier Hanlan
Travis Trice
Nic Moore
Let's see how many of these, better than Ennis players, even get drafted.

Monte Morris
Delon Wright
Isiah Taylor
Melo Trimble
Andrew Harrison
Fred VanVleet
Juwan Staten
Keifer Sykes
Frank Mason (really?)
Olivier Hanlan
Travis Trice (really really?)
Nic Moore

How many of these guys are freshman? Trimble is anyone else? So you are saying 2nd, 3rd, 4th year guys are better in college than Ennis was in his 1 and only year. And I'd say most of those are pretty debatable especially if you are talking about running a team as a PG and not just scoring. I love you pearl31 but I have to say I think you have missed the boat by miles on this one. Ennis was a stud from day one on a major program.

Edit: Some of those are OMG really really, you really think that?

This is the problem with the current state of college hoops. I really feel like Tyler Ennis was the type of PG that would have won us a national championship if he was here 4 years. Could say the same about MCW. Imagine those guys as seniors. It's painful to accept being so transient.

In this fantasy is everyone else's talent still leaving early?

Oh man.
A) Ennis was a really good college point guard, but (in my opinion) seemed to get drafted higher than his true value/ability/upside would dictate.
B) There are a bunch of really good college point guards this year (regardless of class) who (apparently) will not get drafted anywhere near where Ennis did.
C) I'm trying to reconcile A+B.

How many of these guys are freshman? Trimble is anyone else? So you are saying 2nd, 3rd, 4th year guys are better in college than Ennis was in his 1 and only year. And I'd say most of those are pretty debatable especially if you are talking about running a team as a PG and not just scoring. I love you pearl31 but I have to say I think you have missed the boat by miles on this one. Ennis was a stud from day one on a major program.

Edit: Some of those are OMG really really, you really think that?
dunno man, they pass the numbers test and the eye test for me. some of them it might be a bit hard to say as they're not on a good team, or are not asked to do everything Ennis was for us.

Monte Morris
Delon Wright
Isiah Taylor
Melo Trimble
Andrew Harrison
Fred VanVleet
Juwan Staten
Keifer Sykes
Frank Mason
Olivier Hanlan
Travis Trice
Nic Moore
a lot of names. Let's see how many get drafted where Ennis did. I bet you haven't watched half of those guys play two games. I just know you are joking about Hanlan.

a lot of names. Let's see how many get drafted where Ennis did. I bet you haven't watched half of those guys play two games. I just know you are joking about Hanlan.
Whatever you say, man

I'm honestly quite confused why so many people hate on Ennis for leaving early and being drafted higher than one might've thought. What he did last year for us was spectacular and led us on a run that absolutely no one would have believed that we would have been able to make. As a freshman, he ran this team to a 25 game win streak right off the bat and did it with poise and maturity and had less freshman moments than most seniors out there. The kid was great and left to better his life and follow his life long dream of playing in the NBA. I will never be caught dead bad talking a kid's decision to try to support himself and his family when he can.

Also all of this aside, I don't get why people feel that they need to live in the past. Focus on this year's team and let Ennis and Grant live their lives in the NBA.
I know this thread isn't about Grant, but I just got so sick of thread after thread being about him leaving.

Lots of people 'round here seem to have reading comprehension issues. Whatevs. Mods, feel free to nuke this thread

OK, so a year later I'm still a bit mystified at how scouts, GMs, talking heads came to the conclusion that TE was a borderline lotto pick last year...
and my confusion is only compounded when I look around at various seemingly similar prospects this year - let's take two in the ACC for example - Demetrius Jackson of ND and London Perrantes of UVa... both sophomores and both having terrific years running the point for their highly ranked teams. Perrantes isn't as athletic as TE, but certainly has the "poise" thing in spades, is an unflappable quarterback of their offense and is considerably better shooter than TE... Jackson is very athletic, a much better shooter and is also a very good on-ball defender... and both have an extra year of experience under their belts...
and yet, as far as I've been able to tell in looking around at mock drafts, neither is projected anywhere at all in the upcoming draft.
I just don't get it, and don't think I ever will.

The assumption that general mangers know what they are doing is just that. :noidea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Miličić

just to revisit this. Perrantes, in my view, was the best player on the court tonight. He is an excellent point guard who can do pretty much anything Bennett asks of him. He is every bit the player Ennis was.

and you are still the only one who thinks it

congrats?

Monte Morris
Delon Wright
Isiah Taylor
Melo Trimble
Andrew Harrison
Fred VanVleet
Juwan Staten
Keifer Sykes
Frank Mason
Olivier Hanlan
Travis Trice
Nic Moore
I can see Delon Wright sticking around in the league due to his length/quickness, but I'm not seeing the others. PG in the NBA is the most talented position in the league right now, just look at the Western conference. Majority of this list won't be drafted and will be playing in Europe throughout their careers.

and you are still the only one who thinks it

congrats?
no, dude, congrats to YOU!! for winning best arguer and reading comprehender of the year!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom