Ennis to NBA per ESPN | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis to NBA per ESPN

TE announcing early might help SU get involved with a 5th year player/transfer/JUCO PG looking to get some immediate playing time.

Kaleb Joseph is going to need some help. It would be great if it came from a savvy veteran PG who has played college basketball at the highest level.
Good point.

Because it's not in the best interest of his draft stock to return with what next year's team will look like.

Next year's team - with Ennis and Grant - on paper looked much better than this year's team. It could have been 4 returning starters.

The opportunity to become a millionaire and play basketball at the highest level of competition on Earth?

If you're good enough to play in the NBA in the first place, with the way rookie contracts are structured now, it's all about the SECOND contract. A million dollars ain't what it used to be.

Thanks Ennis if this was your only year at SU, I will always remember you for your 7-21 choke job versus Dayton in the tourney.

Don't be hating. Ennis helped us to a 25-0 start and he never seemed like an egotistical kid. He was cool, never a showboat or a jerk to opponents. Good representative of the school. I think he's making a mistake. Even Jonny Flynn came back for a 2nd year. But Tyler isn't as explosive as Flynn, he doesn't really run the fast break. Mostly what he did for us was manage games and avoid turnovers. It wasn't until Maui that we really knew if he could be a clutch scorer.

He gave us a memorable season. He could have accomplished more. But with his lack of athleticism, maybe it was best to go before he gets "found out". Although it's not like you can hide in the NBA.

He's going to get a contract worth about $1.3M for 3 years, if he stays in the top half of the first round. Take out 50% for taxes and 15% for your agent, and that's $1.65M. That's not enough to truly change your life. Buy a house and you're down to $1M - $333,000 per year. Nice change, but that's not enough to retire on.
I mean, sure, it's not life changing at all by the time that contract ends to own a home free and clear and potentially have a bunch of cash in the bank, while your peers are just graduating, looking for their first job, and are some 50k in school debt.

:bat:

Ill be a contrarian here.. I think its good for tyler and good for SU. Mentally he is on an nba level and at times that resulted in his teammates being on a different page. As a pg you see things before your teammates sometimes but tyler was so far ahead that potential great plays ended up as turnovers. We had few guys who did well to fill the lane and thus negating the fast break. Tyler should thrive playing with guys dying to have a player see the cut they know to make and deliver it perfectly. One of the many reasons he worked so well with wiggins...

Next year we do need some help at pg but im not ready to sell mike g short yet. Also I think that aggressive players who make mistakes are sometimes better in the long run than cerebral players who try to find the exact right play. At times tyler seemed to look for the best play vs just attacking to make something happen. This slowed us down a bit. He is an awesome talent and seeing him play with roberson and cmac on the wings is something we will miss but I think it will work out best for both sides for our prospects next year. A 5th year guy would be great but I think mike g could still surprise.

exactly why he is going. grant can become a top 10 pick by coming back. ennis will only stay where he is at or be exposed.

i am really happy for him. brampton is not the best of areas. he can secure financial future of family. he kept his nose clean here.

now regarding how i think he will do. i hope awesome. my only hesitation is i think he fits in mode of marcus williams, ed cota, mateen cleeves, omar cook, kendal marshall. great players but games didn't transition w nba.

He won't "secure the financial future" of anyone if he doesn't get a second contract. Don't you realize how little rookies get paid, if you aren't in the top 5 or so?

I think his demeanor, floor general leadership, and passing are very above average in NBA scouts' minds. Very little risk in those important categories. Guys like Vasquez, Steve Blake, and certainly R Westbrook made their bodies stronger in the NBA. He probably is average at best in terms of athleticism and shooting but like someone mentioned, if Kendall Marshall can make it then Ennis can. Think if Ennis had more shooters and playmakers to work with here. His assist numbers would be through the roof!

Kendall Marshall played 4 years of college. He was better prepared than Ennis, IMO. Ennis can't run a fast break. Unless somebody had a clear lane to the rim, he always pulled the ball out. Our lack of easy points was an achilles heel for us this year.

Basically I'm sick of investing my fandom in players that come to the school for one year and then leave. It's tiring and frustrating, selfishly I want him to stay longer. Every year we look forward to the next only to see those key players leave just before dominating. That "next" year never seems to come to fruition.

Imagine being a Kentucky fan.

Don't be hating. Ennis helped us to a 25-0 start and he never seemed like an egotistical kid. He was cool, never a showboat or a jerk to opponents. Good representative of the school. I think he's making a mistake. Even Jonny Flynn came back for a 2nd year. But Tyler isn't as explosive as Flynn, he doesn't really run the fast break. Mostly what he did for us was manage games and avoid turnovers. It wasn't until Maui that we really knew if he could be a clutch scorer.

He gave us a memorable season. He could have accomplished more. But with his lack of athleticism, maybe it was best to go before he gets "found out". Although it's not like you can hide in the NBA.

What was so memorable about the season? We won Maui after that we didn't accomplish anything of value as a team. Didn't win our conference. Didn't win our conference tournament. Didn't get to the sweet sixteen. The only memorable thing about the season was his shot against PITT. Other than that nothing about this season will be remembered in 5 years.

I am not hating on him, I am sharing what my lasting impression is of him. A lot of players come up small in big games and go on to have big NBA careers. I made no mention of him as failing in the NBA. I didn't question the person he is or the talent he has. I said he chocked in the biggest game of the season for us that is a fact. That is fine nothing wrong with that everyone has there opinions.

If he can hit a three point shot at around 38-40% in the NBA then I think he will have a long career. If he still has the same jump shot in a couple years he will probably be playing overseas. His other skills will play in the league reminds me of a right handed Fisher. He can be a leader a ball mover but he has to be able to hit that three point shot.

Yes, but they don't have the same amount of available time on the court. The part that people always forget about is that you get so much better from playing in games, not just from practice. It's the spotlight, the pressure, learning how to win when it's YOU who makes the difference between winning and losing.

In that case, hopefully by next March Kaleb Joseph will be really good!

Ehhhh, for his size he isn't quick enough, doesn't push the ball, and isn't a great shooter. I really don't see him excelling in the nba. I honestly don't think he is a lottery pick. I think a lot of his flaws will show during the combine where MCW excelled.

Everyone knows how you feel. The people that write the checks disagree. It doesn't matter what you and others think. Just wish him the best.

IthacaMatt said:
If you're good enough to play in the NBA in the first place, with the way rookie contracts are structured now, it's all about the SECOND contract. A million dollars ain't what it used to be.

A million dollars if invested right is still 100k a year income. Plus that million isn't going to be his lifetime earnings playing basketball. Of course he could be like some and just piss it away.

In particular:

Boeheim, according to McIntyre, had hoped Ennis would return to Syracuse for his sophomore year, but the SU coach understood the decision.

"He was generally supportive,'' McIntyre said. "Obviously, he would've liked for him to come back for another year and work on some things like his body and his shot a little bit, but he was also more than comfortable with the decision.''

Interesting that Tyler's dad says JAB was "generally" supportive. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that phone conference.

I just hope he/they are getting the accurate NBA eval info. 7-15 draft range seems awfully optimistic for Tyler IMO

Good luck Tyler and thanks for a great year. IMO he will fall outside the lottery after he gets marked down in the skills combine sessions for speed, jumping ability, etc. But he should be in the 13-20 area. I still think Grant will return. Wouldn't be surprised if Mike G and Kaleb share the PG next season with Mike G starting. Joseph is not nearly as advanced as Tyler coming in. Anyone know if there is a 5th year senior transfer available at PG?

Other than that nothing about this season will be remembered in 5 years.
JIMMY-B-450x316.jpg

Kendall Marshall played 4 years of college. He was better prepared than Ennis, IMO. Ennis can't run a fast break. Unless somebody had a clear lane to the rim, he always pulled the ball out. Our lack of easy points was an achilles heel for us this year.

Marshall only played 2 years at UNC but he's also 6'4 which helps out.

He won't "secure the financial future" of anyone if he doesn't get a second contract. Don't you realize how little rookies get paid, if you aren't in the top 5 or so?

If he were to go 15th overall which is the low point that it seems is realistic, his guaranteed 3 years (based on this years rookie scale) would be
$1,493,800$1,561,000$1,628,300 with a 4th year option right around $3 million. Pretty nice little nest egg if you ask me.

A million dollars if invested right is still 100k a year income. Plus that million isn't going to be his lifetime earnings playing basketball. Of course he could be like some and just piss it away.

Really? $1M invested yields a 10 percent return nowadays, if diversified properly? Really? You in with Madoff's buddies? Standard equity and fund returns are much more like 6 - 8 percent at best. First of all, investing $1M is chicken feed these days for leverage--many of the high-yielding funds have minimums of 1/4 to 1/2 of that for starters, so you're $1M ante-stake isn't taking you very far. Secondly, buying a money manager of any quality requires a far larger opening stake than $1M. Thirdly, based on a long line of NBA rookies and veterans that came before Ennis, most fritter the money away in no time. How many Magic's does the league produce--guys that turn their pro careers into something enterprising afterwards? Hardly any. And, there aren't too many rookies out there socking the money away as has MCW. As for Ennis' lifetime earnings, if he's miscalculated his worth to the NBA--like many other one-and-done's have--then his first contract will constitute the majority of his earnings, unless he goes back to school and earns a degree. It takes a long time making 40 large a year coaching basketball to accumulate $1M.

too bad Whitehead isn't still available. If we are going to be one and done ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom