ESPN / Bilas on "the flop" | Syracusefan.com

ESPN / Bilas on "the flop"

SBU72

All Conference
Did you people see the Game Day piece on the flop in basketball. They were showing examples as Bilas was talking about it and one they showed was CJ's charge at Duke last year! WOW.

Did they? I was watching it and looking out for it, but I didn't see it. Must have left the room briefly.

Did you people see the Game Day piece on the flop in basketball. They were showing examples as Bilas was talking about it and one they showed was CJ's charge at Duke last year! WOW.

Without naming names Bilas singled that whole sequence out as what's wrong with the call.

In their discussion, they made no mention of offensive players pushing their way to the basket without charges being called. A defensive player can be in good position but refs allow the guy with the ball to push his way in or clear space.

In their discussion, they made no mention of offensive players pushing their way to the basket without charges being called. A defensive player can be in good position but refs allow the guy with the ball to push his way in or clear space.
Except our players it seems - called on on Joseph today that looked pretty minor. Nothing like the way Rak gets shoved around down low.

Bilas made an excellent point the other night regarding the charge. The instances where primary defenders SHOULD be getting charges called is too low, the instances where the help defenders get credited with charges is too high.

having a man get beat and then just sliding a dude over in preordained flop positioning is not basketball

Bilas made an excellent point the other night regarding the charge. The instances where primary defenders SHOULD be getting charges called is too low, the instances where the help defenders get credited with charges is too high.

having a man get beat and then just sliding a dude over in preordained flop positioning is not basketball
An interpretation I have heard (and agree with) is that a help defender cannot take a charge. The primary defender can get the charge call if he beats the dribbler to the spot, but the help defender must make a "basketball play"--a block or strip.

An interpretation I have heard (and agree with) is that a help defender cannot take a charge. The primary defender can get the charge call if he beats the dribbler to the spot, but the help defender must make a "basketball play"--a block or strip.

I believe that's the correct interpretation inside the semi-circle. Outside, I don't think so.

I believe that's the correct interpretation inside the semi-circle. Outside, I don't think so.
Didn't make it clear--I would like that to be the interpretation. Make a play on the ball. Since when has standing like a statue been part of the game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom