ESPNs David Hale doesn't hold back his opinion on Syracuse Football | Syracusefan.com

ESPNs David Hale doesn't hold back his opinion on Syracuse Football

He’s not wrong. Until the university decides to truly invest in the program anyone will be hard pressed to consistently win six games. Wildhack has made some progress, but the kinds of things we’re investing in or increasing now are things other teams did 5-10 years ago.

University did invest in assistant coaching and support staff salaries. Look at the staff directory for 2017 vs. today. Both in number and coaches resumes. And Wildhack got that done despite financial struggles from covid that Hale points out.

Nothing the school can do on NIL. That’s on us. And unless you’ve contributed to one of the collectives including SyraCRUZ you haven’t become part of the solution yet.

What's he mean by upended 20-21 due to COVID?
Last I checked we played, we didn't win much except for the gtech game but is he saying with no fans we lost gate money that hurt us financially? I don't see the impact that has on NIl today. I wish he could elaborate.

I don’t understand.

Have we really lost that much talent due to insufficient NIL?

I wouldn’t put outgoing transfers in the top 3 of the problems I think this staff has.
Defense has done well despite losing duce, jahad Carter, steve Linton and jatius geer. Those guys would help but they aren't the reason we are losing. It's oline, Shrader arm didn't heal after surgery, gasden injury, poor wr core.

University did invest in assistant coaching and support staff salaries. Look at the staff directory for 2017 vs. today. Both in number and coaches resumes. And Wildhack got that done despite financial struggles from covid that Hale points out.

Nothing the school can do on NIL. That’s on us. And unless you’ve contributed to one of the collectives including SyraCRUZ you haven’t become part of the solution yet.
They invested because their hand was forced. That speech after the Clemson win at the Dome exposed how little SU thought and still thinks of the football program. The administration had no choice but to start pouring money into something they viewed as an afterthought.

What's he mean by upended 20-21 due to COVID?
Last I checked we played, we didn't win much except for the gtech game but is he saying with no fans we lost gate money that hurt us financially? I don't see the impact that has on NIl today. I wish he could elaborate.

The Athletic Department dumped I believe into seven figures on testing and "protocols." Clearly not budgeted for and $$$ not coming in the door.

The COVID year comment only makes sense in the regard of lost revenue from tickets, merch, etc.

But everyone lost that, that year.

And in regards to Allen and Gadsden leaving, they weren't going to be here forever.

It's the staffs responsibility to find dudes to replace them, or coach up kids to offset their lost impact.

It's year 8. That's on the staff. Like so much that ills the program.

They invested because their hand was forced. That speech after the Clemson win at the Dome exposed how little SU thought and still thinks of the football program. The administration had no choice but to start pouring money into something they viewed as an afterthought.
That video just shows how little Syracuse invested into the program. Those locker rooms were a complete joke. I remember hearing a story about su in the 70. The coach brought recruits in at night so they couldn’t see how bad the facilities were. I’m guessing that hasn’t changed much 50 years later.