ESPNs David Hale doesn't hold back his opinion on Syracuse Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPNs David Hale doesn't hold back his opinion on Syracuse Football

Allen is not irreplaceable, or shouldn't be. OG is another story.
Allen and players like him are irreplaceable when they're amongst your best players and you lose a couple of them annually. We'll see what happens, with him a few others after the season, but we can't keep losing starters every year and think we can replace them with P5 backups or lower level starters.

Gadsden’s remaining at Syracuse despite significant NIL offers to pull him elsewhere is a counter argument itself.

Its not NIL imo, its the fact our coach is unfortunately poor at coaching.

Every family is different. OG’s dad played in the NFL.

If you are OG's father how would you counsel him?

We don’t have a lot of NIL but I’m sure we’d use a lot of it to try to keep our best player like we’ve done in the past. That’s why a player like Tucker has stayed in the past.

Other than that, pretending to know the ins and outs and guess how I’d counsel him if I was his dad……. No clue. Also not what I was responding to directly.

But wouldn't every acc school has those expenses too? While also not having a full house of fans?
No. Syracuse and Duke (by choice) were the only two ACC schools to play with no fans the entire season. And the NYS testing and screening protocols were much more strict than any other state with ACC teams. In fact those testing protocols and vaccine verification requirements also impacted 2021. As stated above the player testing alone was well into the high seven figures and while the general University bore a portion of that cost, the additional testing required by the conference and in response to player concerns - IIRC correctly three times a week - fell on athletics.

In terms of on field impacts every school dealt with opt outs and spring practice disruption, but not complete cancellation of spring ball, two new coordinators that installed completely different systems largely via Zoom meetings, and practices restricted to no more than 10 player pods until two weeks before their opener.

No P5 program was impacted by Covid as significantly as Syracuse and it’s not close.

OG staying or not will depend on what SU has for a quarterback. As of now, they don’t have one. Why would he stay if there is no one here to throw him the ball. The next coach is going to have to be very convincing and he better have funds to back it up.
OG won’t be back unless Dino is back. Certainly not a reason to keep Dino, just reality of the situation. For all his faults much of the roster is here and still playing hard because of him and La Familia. Won’t be a Colorado level roster turnover but will be significant. Thankfully with the lifting of the 25 scholarships per year limit and the transfer portal the time to rebuild a roster will be less than with previous coaching changes.

Correct my man! Again, Tennessee spent 8 million dollars on a top QB recruit.

Here’s just a sample of what we are up against:

We don’t need to have a collective of 10MM, but getting it closer to being competitive would be a nice start.

Correct my man! Again, Tennessee spent 8 million dollars on a top QB recruit.

Here’s just a sample of what we are up against:

We don’t need to have a collective of 10MM, but getting it closer to being competitive would be a nice start.
Yeah some serious hurdles here to get over, the issues are still the issues whether people want to admit them or not. Pounding into your keyboard that Syracuse isn't serious football isn't going to change anything. The problem is they have stunk for so long that nobody really cares anymore. They are behind the times, spend the $ to at least catch up facilities wise now they need more $ for NIL and are behind the 8 ball once again. We need a better donor base but said donor base doesn't care and it sick of stinking and I kind of feel the same way

This doesn't change anything that Dino needs to be replaced because the problems are only going to start getting better if you can win more games. It's the constant chicken vs egg argument

No. Syracuse and Duke (by choice) were the only two ACC schools to play with no fans the entire season. And the NYS testing and screening protocols were much more strict than any other state with ACC teams. In fact those testing protocols and vaccine verification requirements also impacted 2021. As stated above the player testing alone was well into the high seven figures and while the general University bore a portion of that cost, the additional testing required by the conference and in response to player concerns - IIRC correctly three times a week - fell on athletics.

In terms of on field impacts every school dealt with opt outs and spring practice disruption, but not complete cancellation of spring ball, two new coordinators that installed completely different systems largely via Zoom meetings, and practices restricted to no more than 10 player pods until two weeks before their opener.

No P5 program was impacted by Covid as significantly as Syracuse and it’s not close.
BC allowed fans in Newton?

I do respect the fact that David Hale is carrying water for Dino. Admirable person who deserves a counter argument to the groundswell. It's acceptable imo.

I just counter the counter with the perpetual excuses since turn of the century.

Yeah some serious hurdles here to get over, the issues are still the issues whether people want to admit them or not. Pounding into your keyboard that Syracuse isn't serious football isn't going to change anything. The problem is they have stunk for so long that nobody really cares anymore. They are behind the times, spend the $ to at least catch up facilities wise now they need more $ for NIL and are behind the 8 ball once again. We need a better donor base but said donor base doesn't care and it sick of stinking and I kind of feel the same way

This doesn't change anything that Dino needs to be replaced because the problems are only going to start getting better if you can win more games. It's the constant chicken vs egg argument
Yup. Also if every folk who complained about NIL (plus season ticket holders) joined one of the levels of the new collective, we'd raise millions.

I do respect the fact that David Hale is carrying water for Dino. Admirable person who deserves a counter argument to the groundswell. It's acceptable imo.

I just counter the counter with the perpetual excuses since turn of the century.
I'm not even sure if he's carrying water vs. just crapping on the job for the next person.

It sounds like a lot of excuses... At the end of the day, he's paid well, and has enough resources to field a bowl eligible team, and a competitive one. He just isn't getting the job done. It's time to move on. He's been given a great amount of time to fix it.

Allen and players like him are irreplaceable when they're amongst your best players and you lose a couple of them annually. We'll see what happens, with him a few others after the season, but we can't keep losing starters every year and think we can replace them with P5 backups or lower level starters.
RB is - or should be - the easiest position to replace. Also he is a good player but he is not Warrick Dunn. Quality RB's will be available.

It sounds like a lot of excuses... At the end of the day, he's paid well, and has enough resources to field a bowl eligible team, and a competitive one. He just isn't getting the job done. It's time to move on. He's been given a great amount of time to fix it.

he isn't getting the job done but those aren't excuses either, they are real issues holding the program back in many ways. It's still time for a change

RB is - or should be - the easiest position to replace. Also he is a good player but he is not Warrick Dunn. Quality RB's will be available.
It doesn't matter what position you're talking about. This isn't the NFL where talent is much more even and we're not a school that can just select players. When we have a good starter, we can't lose him and expect to just plug someone else in that's just as good. We need all of the talent we can get/keep, both on the 1st string and with back ups.

That video just shows how little Syracuse invested into the program. Those locker rooms were a complete joke. I remember hearing a story about su in the 70. The coach brought recruits in at night so they couldn’t see how bad the facilities were. I’m guessing that hasn’t changed much 50 years later.
Shame is a powerful tool.

I get that we don't have the facilities to compete with the top 15 schools, but where I disagree with Hale is that for 8 years, we have stunk by week 6, and Friday was the definition of that. Dino has not been able to coach us up to victories we can and should have. On top of that, we can't have an offense that simply does not move the ball at home against a very mediocre at best BC team with a QB who throws 4 ints. Regardless of how many players we have lost to the portal or are hurt, that is unacceptable. We need to move on, and I don't think we are expecting to be on Bama's level. We are looking to hold court at home against BC. That should be attainable right now.

Both can be true. Hale and Bud Elliot also mentioned this after Dino mentioned depth and players being bought away.

I don’t understand.

Have we really lost that much talent due to insufficient NIL?

I wouldn’t put outgoing transfers in the top 3 of the problems I think this staff has.

The lack of competitive NIL opportunities not only affects players who might want to leave, but it also affect the quality of player you can attract to your program.

In summer of 2022 Syracuse entertained several d-line transfer prospects but were unable to land a single d-line transfer despite the clear opportunity to play. Why? Then in 2023 we lost two more d-linemen. One was not a good fit for the 3.3.5, but the other was young and in the rotation. We did pick up one d-lineman who was a restoration project and is just starting to come around.

It’s not just what you lose, but also what you’re not able to pick up.

I would put the inability to recruit talent as a top problem.