ESPN's Ranking the Sweet 16 Article | Syracusefan.com

ESPN's Ranking the Sweet 16 Article

UBCuse89

Walk On
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas.../ncaa-tournament-2012-sweet-16-power-rankings

I don't understand his justification of UNC, they lose Marshall but I mean that isn't a huge deal...the guy only averaged 9.8 assists per game and is really their only pg they have used for the second half of the season; it's UNC they don't need a pg. But hey we lose Melo and almost lose to UNCA, KSU wasn't a hundred percent so lets push SU to 8th. Our loss is just as big as KSU's and we still beat them big. Dumb article, I can understand if UNC and SU were ranked closer together but come on and on top of that he picks OSU #2.

How on earth can he justify saying there isn't a better transition team in the country than Marquette? I realize they are good in transition, but I'll take our transition offense over anyone's. That's the one thing we do better than anyone.

Abso
How on earth can he justify saying there isn't a better transition team in the country than Marquette? I realize they are good in transition, but I'll take our transition offense over anyone's. That's the one thing we do better than anyone.

Absolutely we are better then Marquette in that area. But they will be able to demonstrate more against Florida then we will against Wisconsin.

The more people say that other teams are better in very areas that got us here, the more I like this team's chances to win. SU is totally forgotten about. This is the third straight game we're facing out "kryptonite"

Idiotic but good...SU is much better in the underdog role. This type of stuff only lights a fire under the team.

The more people say that other teams are better in very areas that got us here, the more I like this team's chances to win. SU is totally forgotten about. This is the third straight game we're facing out "kryptonite"

its hysterical that everyone is saying wisconsin is our "kryptonite", when before the tourny started everyone was saying vandy was our kryptonite. ohio st/cincy will also be our kryptonite if we get there. sullinger/yates will cause problems with no fab, they got 3 pt shooters, etc. :eek:

We just have to win games. The last four will be against four very good teams. What matters is who plays their game better.

probably because Marquette is still running,but SU's transition game is sputtering.

Through the first 20 games, SU had scored 472 points off turnovers (23.6 per game) and 345 fast break points (17.3 per game).

Since then, the Orange have scored just 226 points off turnovers (15.1 ppg) and only 128 fast break points (8.5 per game, half the earlier output).

Marquette doesn't have the hype that Syracuse did, and, by and large, teams are still playing into their style. As a function of their lengthy stay in the top 2, though, Syracuse has been analyzed and dissected, and everyone knows to slow the game down, take care of the ball, and hustle back on defense.

Until it meets a Kentucky or North Carolina that thinks it can outrun us, Syracuse will live or die on its ability to efficiently score in the half court.

Since "everyone has the blueprint" on how to beat us, I'm not surprised. It should be quite easy to beat SU.:blah:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas.../ncaa-tournament-2012-sweet-16-power-rankings

I don't understand his justification of UNC, they lose Marshall but I mean that isn't a huge deal...the guy only averaged 9.8 assists per game and is really their only pg they have used for the second half of the season; it's UNC they don't need a pg. But hey we lose Melo and almost lose to UNCA, KSU wasn't a hundred percent so lets push SU to 8th. Our loss is just as big as KSU's and we still beat them big. Dumb article, I can understand if UNC and SU were ranked closer together but come on and on top of that he picks OSU #2.
Check out this doozy from before the tournament
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...00/10-bold-predictions-about-the-ncaa-tourney
ESPN writers like King and Medcalf show if you want to be a writer all you need is a pulse and a connection. This guy stunk out the joint worse than any I could remember from. Marquette as the #2 is a hilariously bad. They didn't win the BET and were AWFUL against Murray State. I get it was a road game, but they weren't impressive at all and neither was Ohio State against Gonzaga. While we struggled against UNC-Asheville we played really well the second half against K-State while Ohio St-Gonzaga was tied with 3:30 left. Only writer I take seriously from ESPN is Andy Katz who actually does his homework.

That works for me. In 2010 we were probably ranked 1 or 2 in these meaningless polls and look where that got us.

I'm sorry, I'm getting tired of seeing the UNC-A game being referred to as a "near-loss" (as King and many others have described it).

In the final 5:41, the lead was under 4 points on only two occasions. And UNC-A never had possession when they were down 3 points. Yes, the out of bounds play was a bad call. But they still needed to make a shot to tie.

Call it a scare, fine. Call it a close call. But it was NOT a near-loss. That would imply either UNCA missed a GW shot, or Syracuse made one.

Yep. You don't hear anyone saying OSU had a "near loss" against Gonzaga.

Or that Kansas had a near loss to Purdue.

I'm sorry, I'm getting tired of seeing the UNC-A game being referred to as a "near-loss" (as King and many others have described it).

In the final 5:41, the lead was under 4 points on only two occasions. And UNC-A never had possession when they were down 3 points. Yes, the out of bounds play was a bad call. But they still needed to make a shot to tie.

Call it a scare, fine. Call it a close call. But it was NOT a near-loss. That would imply either UNCA missed a GW shot, or Syracuse made one.

It's funny, I re-watched the last 10 mins last night as I was deleting it from my DVR...I just wanted to rewatch with a clear head...see how it looked now.

The reason it was so bad is because they were a 16 and we were a #1 and it was relatively close...that's it. As you said, we were up by 6+ the majority of the time. They had 2 possessions down 5 twice where they bricked 3s and we played outstanding D. NO REFS THERE..wha happened?? Never heard about those missed shots, just that they were screwed. If they drill a 3, they are down 2. But they MISSED...TWICE

We were CLEARLY the better team. We were getting wide open shots, they hit like 3 half court 3s.

It's so stupid that this was some national outrage.

Yep. You don't hear anyone saying OSU had a "near loss" against Gonzaga.

Or that Kansas had a near loss to Purdue.

true.. but those scenarios weren't a #1 seed against #16 seed

It's funny, I re-watched the last 10 mins last night as I was deleting it from my DVR...I just wanted to rewatch with a clear head...see how it looked now.

The reason it was so bad is because they were a 16 and we were a #1 and it was relatively close...that's it. As you said, we were up by 6+ the majority of the time. They had 2 possessions down 5 twice where they bricked 3s and we played outstanding D. NO REFS THERE..wha happened?? Never heard about those missed shots, just that they were screwed. If they drill a 3, they are down 2. But they MISSED...TWICE

We were CLEARLY the better team. We were getting wide open shots, they hit like 3 half court 3s.

It's so stupid that this was some national outrage.

OH..and also that the goons on commentary added to the outrage by not knowing the FT violation rules. They went on and on about that for 2 minutes.

true.. but those scenarios weren't a #1 seed against #16 seed

which goes to show how they pick and choose the frame of it.

i, for one, am all for the mainly negative view of this team. JB always gets the most out of disrespected and overlooked squads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom