everyone screaming fire coach shafer! | Syracusefan.com

everyone screaming fire coach shafer!

zjscuse

All Conference
needs to grow up and be ashamed of themselves. your ganna lose games it happens, yes i was there and i was more frustrated than anybody else. i think people fail to relize that we had 589 yards to their 369 if anything we shot ourselves in the foot . by no means does this game mean the entire coaching staff should be fired .. should the bubble screen gameplan be thrown out? your damn straight but you all fail to relize no matter how much it sucked to watch what happend, their still were positives. we need cut the penaltys and somebody catch the ball! (o and a new damn field goal kicker) but by no means is this season over

I'm not screaming that but today was the clearest example of a poorly coached team that I've ever seen. Not saying he's a bad coach but he's had some brutal losses in his tenure so far.

zjscuse said:
needs to grow up and be ashamed of themselves. your ganna lose games it happens, yes i was there and i was more frustrated than anybody else. i think people fail to relize that we had 589 yards to their 369 if anything we shot ourselves in the foot . by no means does this game mean the entire coaching staff should be fired .. should the bubble screen gameplan be thrown out? your damn straight but you all fail to relize no matter how much it sucked to watch what happend, their still were positives. we need cut the penaltys and somebody catch the ball! (o and a new damn field goal kicker) but by no means is this season over
I offered to buy their tickets! They keep waffling. Don't be a puss! I can afford it and not joking.

I'm not screaming that but today was the clearest example of a poorly coached team that I've ever seen. Not saying he's a bad coach but he's had some brutal losses in his tenure so far.
no no no unc was the clearest example of a poorly coached team that I've ever seen today lol im just telling everyone stay positive we have things to build on we can do it we have the talent to turn some heads we just need to execute which has always been i feel cuses biggest problem if anything i hope today showed kj that we need him very badly

no no no unc was the clearest example of a poorly coached team that I've ever seen today lol im just telling everyone stay positive we have things to build on we can do it we have the talent to turn some heads we just need to execute which has always been i feel cuses biggest problem if anything i hope today showed kj that we need him very badly
I agree we have the talent to compete. Our running game is sick, defense ok but I need to see better discipline and execution and that's on the coaches. You can't have games where you out gain the opponent by 220 yards yet barely be in the game due to mistake after mistake after mistake.

I am getting tired of this fire everyone sh**. The same thing was said about Marrone and Hackett in 2012. Now they are geniuses. The grass is always greener with SU "fans". Today was frustrating as hell but let's stop this fire everyone nonsense.

I think frustrated fans are looking for someone to blame, and the coaches are an easy target. It reminds me of parents who blame the teacher when little Johnnie fails his exam at school.

At least Joe Adam (whipping boy when hired) gets a pass after the OL and Hunt put up big numbers, on the ground. Maybe Smith is OK as well?

We had a four game winning streak coming into MD. The team can rebound if key guys stay healthy and avoid some of the big mistakes - blocked punt and INT.

lets see. so far we have
1) hunt cant throw and is slow
2) rcvrs cant get deep and drop balls
3) rb cant take it to the house
4) DL is avg so we have to blitz
5) ST lack play makers
6) punter sucks
7) FG kicker sucks

yet everyone agrees i think talent is up a huge amount from 8 years ago, depth is much better, offense is moving in the right direction, punter has become a weapon at times.

we are losing games we should be winning, not losing games we have no shot at.

But how do we not recruit a better kicker, thats poor coaching.. ask clemson and a dozen other teams that lost yesterday cause they cant kick like WSU.

We have all these warts it cant possible be coaching getting them into position to win cause the coaches all stink.

I am sure Randy went home going great job boys you couldnt move the ball for 45 min or stop the other team all day but great coaching got us a win.

kids brain farted on a punt protection and a bubble screen pass and one play call, but they executed on 100 other plays pretty well. coaching gets no credit for that.

again its all about the players.. you could put gulley at the end of the screen pass and he doesnt score like the maryland player did. you could put west in for the first Maryland td pass and he doesnt get open.

coaching is the reason we are competing with glaring areas of need. in 5-6 years we have gone from god awful to competing with 95% of the teams we face and winning over half of the 50/50 games.

we can feel bad about losing a winnable game, but the kids/coaches feel worse

Those punts didn't cost them the game but they exposed Shafer. You're going to have weird games but you don't have to have such pure stupidity on top of it. They're never going to out recruit such dumb punts and dopey drive killing screens. Discouragement goes way beyond one weird game.

Is it too much to ask to not get your doors blown off before halftime whenever you play a team with at least slightly above average talent?

I thought I read that we need to give Shafer an extension so he wouldn't leave after this season. BTW, Maryland had the same number of penalties as SU.

The question is are you okay with mediocrity? If your okay being average then their is no reason to complain if you want to strive for a better future then complaining with reason is fair. I don't want Shafer fired, but unless he or McDonald recruit really high end talent to Syracuse like 4 star athletes and more 3 star athletes we are going to contiunue down the path from Marrone. 1 bad year 2009, 3 mediocre years 2010-2012. I don't expect 9 wins a season, but expect to see improvements which I am willing to give the guy thru next year just to be fair. However, you don't think this staff has "it" I wouldn't wait if I was Gross.

I think your comment about Randy is probably spot on. I can see him thinking I won in spite of you all.

The question is are you okay with mediocrity? If your okay being average then their is no reason to complain if you want to strive for a better future then complaining with reason is fair. I don't want Shafer fired, but unless he or McDonald recruit really high end talent to Syracuse like 4 star athletes and more 3 star athletes we are going to contiunue down the path from Marrone. 1 bad year 2009, 3 mediocre years 2010-2012. I don't expect 9 wins a season, but expect to see improvements which I am willing to give the guy thru next year just to be fair. However, you don't think this staff has "it" I wouldn't wait if I was Gross.
I agree. Id absolutely give the staff this year and next year but I'm not cool with nonstop 6-6 seasons ending in the "Nobody Cares Bowl".

coaching is the reason we are competing with glaring areas of need. in 5-6 years we have gone from god awful to competing with 95% of the teams we face and winning over half of the 50/50 games.

we can feel bad about losing a winnable game, but the kids/coaches feel worse

There have been more than 3 blowouts in the last 60 games - there were four 20+ point losses last year alone. Competing doesn't really matter or how many yards you rack up when you don't win.

We have also benefited from being in one of the weakest football conferences in the last five years. If SU was in the SEC or PAC12 we would be lucky to get two conference wins each season. We would be Vanderbilt.

Georgia Tech, Clemson, Northwestern, Florida State all embarrassed us last season. 4 of the 13 games last year we got destroyed not exactly 3 blowouts in 60 games.

The Marrone ERA outside of the Penn State game in 2009 we were never really completely embarrassed on the field. Shafer isn't Marrone in terms of game planing and scheming to keep the game close. However, SS is going to get thru next year with Gross to turn this around.

Shafer isn't getting fired. He would have to lose every game the rest of the season to lose his job. And that won't happen.

Alsacs said:
Georgia Tech, Clemson, Northwestern, Florida State all embarrassed us last season. 4 of the 13 games last year we got destroyed not exactly 3 blowouts in 60 games.

The Marrone ERA outside of the Penn State game in 2009 we were never really completely embarrassed on the field. Shafer isn't Marrone in terms of game planing and scheming to keep the game close. However, SS is going to get thru next year with Gross to turn this around.

UConn 09, Pitt 2010, Minnesota 12 (not a blowout but a horrible loss), 7 straight losses to end 2011 and start of 12, 2nd half of Washington in 10, 09 Louisville debacle, UConn and BC 10.

There were plenty of terrible losses under Doug. He also never played anyone as good as FSU and Clemson last year.

Shafer is a good coach. He's not as good as Marrone, but the one thing I like about him is that he has managed to get the team to move past horrible losses. And to be fair, Doug needed two miracle finishes against a bad USF and a meh Missouri to get to a bowl game with our best team since 01. Doug was a great coach in terms of what he did, but people seem to forget the bad when comparing his years with the current staff. If not for those two last second wins in 2013 he would probably still be here.

UConn 09, Pitt 2010, Minnesota 12 (not a blowout but a horrible loss), 7 straight losses to end 2011 and start of 12, 2nd half of Washington in 10, 09 Louisville debacle, UConn and BC 10.

There were plenty of terrible losses under Doug. He also never played anyone as good as FSU and Clemson last year.

Shafer is a good coach. He's not as good as Marrone, but the one thing I like about him is that he has managed to get the team to move past horrible losses. And to be fair, Doug needed two miracle finishes against a bad USF and a meh Missouri to get to a bowl game with our best team since 01. Doug was a great coach in terms of what he did, but people seem to forget the bad when comparing his years with the current staff. If not for those two last second wins in 2013 he would probably still be here.
I will be consistent I was pissed at Marrone in 2012 and after the Minnesota loss wanted him on the hot seat if he didn't turn it around and he did turn it around.
Marrone was better at game planning and preparing the team. Marrone's teams had stupid penalties and mistakes during all 4 years just like Shafer has had. Marrone leaving so late in 2012 caused us to lose Steve Addazio in 2012 who now would have been the perfect the hire.

There have been more than 3 blowouts in the last 60 games - there were four 20+ point losses last year alone. Competing doesn't really matter or how many yards you rack up when you don't win.

We have also benefited from being in one of the weakest football conferences in the last five years. If SU was in the SEC or PAC12 we would be lucky to get two conference wins each season. We would be Vanderbilt.

Here's a suggestion, just quit watching.

Another no context viewer. SU was the worst team in D-1 by far when Marrone took over. It's now 5 + 3 games in. They have managed to take the program from worst of the worst to 3 bowls in 5 years, .500 vs .210 under the prior regime.

It is incredibly hard to dig out of under the disaster this program was in the best of circumstances, let alone an underfunded private northeastern university. There has been a tremendous amount of good work done to rebuild the program, and there is still plenty to do.

Save yourself the pain and go cheer for FSU or Bama or prepare yourself for a lifetime of unmet expectations.

Alsacs said:

Wrong question. Better question: are we headed up in recruiting and on the field? I still think the answer is yes. This game was not fun - but were very competitive and looked better on O than any time in the last two seasons (excluding Wagner).

Wrong question. Better question: are we headed up in recruiting and on the field? I still think the answer is yes. This game was not fun - but were very competitive and looked better on O than any time in the last two seasons (excluding Wagner).
I trust anomander more than anybody on this board about football recruiting. He said our 2015 class is nothing special. I don't see blue chippers on this team. We have more depth on this team but we lack high end talent. That is where recruiting gets the job done.

I trust anomander more than anybody on this board about football recruiting. He said our 2015 class is nothing special. I don't see blue chippers on this team. We have more depth on this team but we lack high end talent. That is where recruiting gets the job done.

This is very funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom