everyone screaming fire coach shafer! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

everyone screaming fire coach shafer!

I would fire Shafer if we go 3-9. Thats when I would fire him, till then we have to hope he improves!! #BeatND

I would fire Shafer if we go 3-9. Thats when I would fire him, till then we have to hope he improves!! #BeatND

Who would you hire - and why would any sane person take a job that has a 2 year leash after a bowl win in year one - and the HC currently has a roster stacked with kids recruited by the previous guy?

This place kills me after a loss.

Who would you hire - and why would any sane person take a job that has a 2 year leash after a bowl win in year one - and the HC currently has a roster stacked with kids recruited by the previous guy?

This place kills me after a loss.
It kills me to. However, if we go 3-9 (we are not going 3-9) I think he should go.

I wonder about Tim Lester, he should at least be the OC imo.

I will take a 14 point loss like this instead of a 5o point beat down at the hands of Ga Tech any day. This game we were competitive if not the better team, which I think we are the score just didn't show it.

That Ga Tech game we were not competitive.

Bayside44 said:
Who would you hire - and why would any sane person take a job that has a 2 year leash after a bowl win in year one - and the HC currently has a roster stacked with kids recruited by the previous guy? This place kills me after a loss.
Like Shafer wouldn't have jumped at the chance in that situation

Fix the red zone should be ok. D line going to be an issue all year. Why after a loss do people instantly talk about coaching replacements. It's one loss at this point.

Maryland is a really even match up, we lost move on.

IthacaBarrel said:
Fix the red zone should be ok. D line going to be an issue all year. Why after a loss do people instantly talk about coaching replacements. It's one loss at this point. Maryland is a really even match up, we lost move on.
It's not the loss. Its the decisions. His whole schtick is a lie.

It's not the loss. Its the decisions. His whole schtick is a lie.

Who cares? Geeze. He should have gone for it on 4th. The game was lost with the poor execution in red zone. Sure, I disagree with the calls to punt doesn't mean I think the guy is incompetent or that he won't ever have success.

Like it or not, Shafer is still learning. He's been in situations and had to make decisions that he didn't have to deal with at the same magnitude as when he was a coordinator. Patience is going to be tough, but it's what we need to have at this point.

JSOrange97 said:
Like it or not, Shafer is still learning. He's been in situations and had to make decisions that he didn't have to deal with at the same magnitude as when he was a coordinator. Patience is going to be tough, but it's what we need to have at this point.
He's not young. Most of these guys are who they are.

Too soon for lanterns and pitchforks. Scott needs time to bring in his own players and this team can improve. Pull the plug after two years and it becomes that much harder to hire a better option (unless you are hiring for a prestige position with unlimited budget). Who is gonna take the HC job at SU if they know they only have 2 years? I'd argue that a guaranteed 5-year gig at a MAC school is better than a 2-and-done if you don't win at SU. Why? The football world follows MAC schools too and a good ambitious coach will get noticed if they develop over time. Canning the HC is too risky and he doesn't deserve it despite yesterday. Change the kicker, keep emotions under control on the sidelines, get some sac on 4th down, stick with what works on O -- all fixable.

Also, any fallout would really have to hit the AD if you truly think Shafer is a dud. Gross would have butchered the HC hire two out of three times. This is the most valuable sport. It's not ideal.

And on that happy note, 2-4 going into Wake is the most likely outcome and that's with Clemson right afterward. We need to figure out a way to win the Ville game and take care of business at Wake or else it's hard to see a path to winning year.

Like Shafer wouldn't have jumped at the chance in that situation

In your terminology you're shuffling the deck of gym teachers.

I think the guy (or any guy) needs his guys and his system. IF he flops then ok.

Millhouse said:

Ridiculous. Most of these coaches are young. You don't become a D1 coach without the ability to adjust schemes and philosophies.

I didn't say he was young, I said he is still learning. He is still relatively inexperienced as a head coach and he still can learn from what he's experienced thus far. I'll bet there are quite a few game situations that he's learned from over the past 2 years and will tweak what he does as a result.

Ridiculous. Most of these coaches are young. You don't become a D1 coach without the ability to adjust schemes and philosophies.
I agree. In any job or even just life in general, learning is a continuous thing.

JSOrange97 said:
I didn't say he was young, I said he is still learning. He is still relatively inexperienced as a head coach and he still can learn from what he's experienced thus far. I'll bet there are quite a few game situations that he's learned from over the past 2 years and will tweak what he does as a result.
Coaches rarely learn this stuff. Marrone still hasn't learned

Millhouse said:
Coaches rarely learn this stuff. Marrone still hasn't learned

Naw. Easier to find examples, sure. But there are clinics, visiting other teams. Professional development happens in near every field.

Judging whether a coach stays over the record of a single season being 3-9 vs 4-8 is kind of headscratcher.

The key should be can he teach. His knowledge of the game and just as important foresight. Any school would die to have a coach with great foresight. Can he build a program that has seasons where they are really well rounded? Do the younger kids get better in the course of a season? Can the team learn confidence to not get penalties( I really loved Marrones ability to stay away from the penalties his Bills really could have used that today). Can he make lots of kids hungry to get better in the offseason? Is there a 50/50 chance he can build the program into a top 40 program over time? Or is it less then 50/50?

Just consider what we have. This team is really lacking experienced linebackers and in the secondary they are young and just not ready in those positions. That alone is like a basketball team lacking both a center and power forward in basketball. Or a point guard and a forward who can shoot a jumpshot.

Heck we were kind of lucky to beat Nova. Why should 4-8 be good enough then? To say his job is safe if he wins two more games based on their missed 20 yard field goal, and our epic callapse on opening day really doesn't make much sense.

I give him lots of credit going out of the box and trying to build a real tough offensive line. We haven't had a real tough offensive line in what a decade? Glad to see he is willing to try to adjust to the hunger of the fans. Makes the journey more pleasurable.

Last edited:
I think the guy (or any guy) needs his guys and his system. IF he flops then ok.[/QUOTE]

I'm not posting this to be a troll; this really is a question -

How are the guys on the team who were recruited by Marrone impacting the Shafer's ability to implement his system?
Shouldn't Shafer's recruits be outperforming Marrone's guys and taking the starting spots?

In your terminology you're shuffling the deck of gym teachers.

I think the guy (or any guy) needs his guys and his system. IF he flops then ok.

How are the current players, all of them, not "his guys"?

It was an internal hire.

[QUOTE="orangefan13, post: 1137726,

Just consider what we have. This team is really lacking experienced linebackers and in the secondary they are young and just not ready in those positions. That alone is like a basketball team lacking both a center and power forward in basketball. Or a point guard and a forward who can shoot a jumpshot.

I give him lots of credit going out of the box and trying to build a real tough offensive line. We haven't had a real tough offensive line in what a decade? Glad to see he is willing to try to adjust to the hunger of the fans. Makes the journey more pleasurable.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you are saying. We have seniors in the secondary and at outside LB. The OL was recruited by Marrone/Adkins - nothing out of the box about the OL (except a juco center from the west coast).
The team had won 4 in a row coming into MD and lost due to mistakes. Need to see development of a wr or two and a better passing performance from Hunt. But posters swing from too optimistic to crazy enough to fire the entire staff after the first loss of a season. Hang in there - better days to come.

How are the current players, all of them, not "his guys"?

It was an internal hire.

How much input did he have on the guys we recruited on offense?

I wouldn't think much, but I don't know the answer.

I'm not posting this to be a troll; this really is a question -

How are the guys on the team who were recruited by Marrone impacting the Shafer's ability to implement his system?
Shouldn't Shafer's recruits be outperforming Marrone's guys and taking the starting spots?[/QUOTE]

This is Shafer's second season. Guys like West, Flemming are just more mature than some of the talent Shafer has out there that is still really raw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom