Exhaustion | Syracusefan.com

Exhaustion

OrangeJEM

Walk On
Some of you people don't realize how tired this team was that 2nd half. We got beat by our 4th game in 4 days with insufficient substitutions to keep us fresh. I watch enough boxing/mma to see when a fighter is staggered and out on their feet. Look at the activity difference between Trevor Cooney and the rest of the team when he came in, It reminded me of the end of the 6 OT game.

In 4 days of 40 minutes of game time this team probably burned the equivalent of 4 days of consecutive 10 mile runs, couple that with the emotional exhaustion that was felt after GTOWN, and you get the 2nd half we had.

Before this team I didn't know if this team had it, but this tournament showed me, if they want it, if they want it for Boeheim, they can get it.

Baloney. They played without heart and brains in the second half. Tired bodies? Not in the span of 5 minutes. They played scared and if you have watched as much basketball as a lot of us, you'd see that. It happens all the time and it happens in the middle of a season, as well. Trying to what you watch in MMA to what you see in basketball is silly. They really didn't look all that tired to me. To me, the problem was more mental. As soon as they started looking at the refs for help, they were done. The best teams figure out how to play through adversity and we tend to let things snowball.

Baloney. They played without heart and brains in the second half. Tired bodies? Not in the span of 5 minutes. They played scared and if you have watched as much basketball as a lot of us, you'd see that. It happens all the time and it happens in the middle of a season, as well. Trying to what you watch in MMA to what you see in basketball is silly. They really didn't look all that tired to me. To me, the problem was more mental. As soon as they started looking at the refs for help, they were done. The best teams figure out how to play through adversity and we tend to let things snowball.
They hit a wall. What are you going to do? There's no chance that exhaustion led to any of those mistakes or missed FT's, right?

We definitely got shook, I wont argue that point BUT to say exhaustion coupled with Ville being allowed to manhandle our already tired guards isnt what caused a complete meltdown is wrong. You could see MCW was about ready to lose his mind and with good reason. MCW was stellar until James went out and the Ville guards decided that was their chance to get back into the game and challenged the refs to call fouls. The refs didnt, we got tired and then MCW started turning it over. I dont think MCW just started sucking out of nowhere or just because he got scared. MCW is the one guy on this team who doesnt get scared, he may get frazzled but he doesnt get scared.

I can't remember seeing a team that looked more exhausted. Looked like the tank was completely empty.
\

people always tend to focus only on the physical aspect of playing 4 straight games. "well when i was young...". these kids are also under 4 days of constant stress and anxiety that doesn't stop at the buzzer. and mental stress can also break your body down probably more so than the pure aerobic aspects.

Suggest you all check the box score. They played one more guy than we did and he played 2 minutes. Silva played as much as MCW and played harder. Smith played as much as Triche and played harder. Time was dispersed almost equally among the two teams. Either they are in much better shape or it wasn't the factor so many think it was...

Louisville's pressure d is what turned the game around, sprinkle in some bad turnovers and bad calls and that decimated us. we were up 16 and lost by 17. that's a big swing in points. they stole our lunch money , punched us in the face and ran off.

i haven't been on the board much since the game, but this was very similar to the final in 09. We were up at halftime, not by as much, but 8 or 9, but we didn't have the legs in the second half. Lville's pressure wore us down

Suggest you all check the box score. They played one more guy than we did and he played 2 minutes. Silva played as much as MCW and played harder. Smith played as much as Triche and played harder. Time was dispersed almost equally among the two teams. Either they are in much better shape or it wasn't the factor so many think it was...

It wasn't their 4th game and they didn't play Pitt and GTown and their defenses.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Louisville & the other thugs in this league sold their souls to John Thompson, it's THAT SIMPLE.

These teams will all pay with their basketball souls...

The Catholic 7 rec league will become a glorified mid-major with a lack of good recruits, & Louisville will not be able to foul their way into prosperity in another conference.

Or they didn't play in the "biggest" matchup in BET history less than 24 hours previously which btw was against our most hated rival who also is a top 5 team and also the game went to OT. And btw they didn't play another top 25 team who also happens to be the most physical team in the conference the game before that game.

Some of the armchair qbs need to give it a rest... Your memories of playing 2 or three games in a day for a couple of days aren't even in the same galaxy as what our guys had to face this week. I've never seen three games in a row played with such intensity and physicality and where the game turned on every play. Think about it we played #17, #4 and #5 three nights in a row and for over two and a half of those we played like champs.

Last night our star player went out and we had to put a freshman in there who was not ready for that intensity and immediately gave up 5 points, then the refs did their thing and gave the cards another 4 points or so. At that point the pressure of the week caught up with these guys and they cracked and the floodgates opened. Does it sucked that happened, yeah because a true elite team would have bounced back but given what we know about these guys we are not an elite team... There are no GMACs on this team no matter how badly we want them to be that type of elite player. Given how poorly we were playing going into the week and how mentally weak we have been I am totally shocked and so proud of the way they played for 2.6 games against teams ranked higher than them. What happened in the last .4 of those games does nothing to detract from that.

I just hope JB learned that he needs to give his guards a bit more rest and let Cooney play through some mistakes because any one of our guards have he potential to have an in-game meltdown.

ive watched hoops close to as much as marsh( work late while at home ) and your completely off base on most of this. This was a tired team who lost their best offensive option and were being fouled on every possession without calls being made. Denying the mental and physical fatigue factor is such an armchair response and you cant watch as much hoops as you claim to and not see this group was fatigued. They were fatigued in the first half but the ville couldnt take advantage. That doesnt mean fatigued teams cannot win- but against a team using their arms to defend with refs that let it go and call flagrants erroneously- adding the biggest offensive threat had 4 fouls( 1 of which was committed by keita in the first half) .. that was the problem..iyiyi

Jesus, SU played Pitt and Gtown the two days prior with one more tacked on. Lville played ND and Nova. Not only did SU have to play four in three, they had to play the three toughest defenses in the league on three straight nites. Lville, not so much.

Jesus, SU played Pitt and Gtown the two days prior with one more tacked on. Lville played ND and Nova. Not only did SU have to play four in three, they had to play the three toughest defenses in the league on three straight nites. Lville, not so much.
I'm totally fine with the team you couldn't pick a worse time to have to play Louisville. tired, weak ball handling, horrendous officiating. perfect storm of awfulness. big east is dead to me, they beat Georgetown and can finally shoot again. next weekend will be fun and I'm glad

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I just disagree. Seen NBA teams play back to back to back and play hard even though tired. Those guys are older and the play/schedule is much more physical. I, myself, played at SU every Mon-Fri for 1 1/2 hours when I was between 35-45 years old. The guys played hard and there were few breaks. Not comparing the level of competition with D1, just saying that you shouldn't be that tired at 20 years old. I mean tired to the point of not being able to function. They got got flustered. You could see guys running away from the ball because they lost confidence. In short, I agree they were tired. So cry me a river. Many of the turnovers were unforced and the decision making was just awful.

Btw, I don't think this makes SU different from most teams. I do think it makes them different from elite teams.

and yet we were up 16 points in the 2nd half. throw that logic out the window. their pressure d and our lack of good ball handlers killed us.they forced us to make quick decisions to pass that ended up turnovers. these kids are pumped up for these games. i never buy the fatigue issue for this tournament. double buys are overrated.

and yet we were up 16 points in the 2nd half. throw that logic out the window. their pressure d and our lack of good ball handlers killed us.they forced us to make quick decisions to pass that ended up turnovers. these kids are pumped up for these games. i never buy the fatigue issue for this tournament. double buys are overrated.
they shot very well early to get the lead. fatigue plays in later

I just disagree. Seen NBA teams play back to back to back and play hard even though tired. Those guys are older and the play/schedule is much more physical. I, myself, played at SU every Mon-Fri for 1 1/2 hours when I was between 35-45 years old. The guys played hard and there were few breaks. Not comparing the level of competition with D1, just saying that you shouldn't be that tired at 20 years old. I mean tired to the point of not being able to function. They got got flustered. You could see guys running away from the ball because they lost confidence. In short, I agree they were tired. So cry me a river. Many of the turnovers were unforced and the decision making was just awful.

Btw, I don't think this makes SU different from most teams. I do think it makes them different from elite teams.
you weren't playing against siva and your ref probably called more fouls even though you didn't even have a ref

nba teams dont play 4 back to backs and play more players more minutes. ive played 4 straight hours at the age of 29 3 days in a row and it wouldnt compare as the speed and the mental aspects of the game do not compare.

i have played in such a situation at a younger age and i can tell you that every sign of fatigue was out there last night- you cannot make your body and mind function if its too exhausted to do so.. add the officiating and hand checking bs and that story was done.

you weren't playing against siva and your ref probably called more fouls even though you didn't even have a ref

You missed the point. I'm not surprised. At any level of condition, you reach a point of not being able to push. The better shape you're in, the harder and longer you can push. This isn't wrestling or MMA where there is no rest during the time you are competing. In basketball, especially with teams playing a zone, there is a lot of time spent at far less than 100% exertion. Watch the game again and see which guys have to work harder on defense. Not even close.

If fatigue wasn't a factor, why didnt L'ville just play the entire game like the final 15 mins and beat us 88-20?

I was expecting us to run out of gas after the Gtown game the day prior what I wasn't expecting was to have a big lead when that happened.

If fatigue wasn't a factor, why didnt L'ville just play the entire game like the final 15 mins and beat us 88-20?

I was expecting us to run out of gas after the Gtown game the day prior what I wasn't expecting was to have a big lead when that happened.
It was all a perfect storm, they got desperate and forced the refs to call fouls every possession by playing ultra thug ball when our biggest weapon went out with 4 fouls. By the time we got James back in the damage was already done.

You people can be asses. I never once said fatigue wasn't a factor. I said it wasn't THE factor. Read much? And I have never played Xbox or any other video sports games as I preferred the real thing. If you can't debate rationally, resort to insults. Seems like a administrator should be above that. You're all looking for excuses but the fact is we are not a mentally strong team and our back court is especially vulnerable. Since the college game is usually a guard's game, we are susceptible to collapses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom