Exhibition games and freshmen | Syracusefan.com

Exhibition games and freshmen

bevosu

Hall of Fame
Lots of early speculation about expectations concerning the frosh. Too early imo.

Last year the first exhibition game we played..Carleton, arguably a better team than this years Le Moyne team...

Kaleb Joseph - 19 points (7-9)...4 assists...1 turnover, in 26 minutes.

200.gif

Yes, I see your point about the frosh. And you are being practical and cautionary. But here's what I remember: last year I felt uneasy, and this year I feel perky.

Of course, I may have gotten that all wrong in my memory, and I may not have given voice to it at the time. But it was lodged in my sub-conscious that they did not play well together. As with the rest of you, I watched in horror at the MSG debacle, but I think my unease began earlier than that.

Probably I'm just remembering what I want to remember. Let's see how they do on Sunday.

Last years Kaleb Joseph is a bad example in that reguard. He blew by his men at will last year all year long, in the lane at will. He wasn't ready to shoot midrange or from three. 35% from 2 and 20% were his 2 point and three point numbers.

Kaleb needs to learn to score from the midrange and from three. I say this about every point. Even Flynn, MCW, Ennis never really got it rolling and look where they are. I think we tell our point guards instead of shooting 6-8 ten footers, to take it to the rim so guys like Roberson, Lydon, and Dajaun can get the offensive board. And it makes sense.

He had a excellent play where he got baseline and drew the contact in the air for the foul shielding the ball, but hes going to learn where getting 2-3 of those a game will be such a gift to have. Then on the other side of the spectrum he went flying in to end the first half and jumped into two guys arms outstretched and got swalled up like a black hole. Its never going to be easy to take it inside at this level teams pack the paint especially against a team like syracuse we love to pound the offensive boards especially for smaller guards.

Southerland I don't know what happened, but he came out got good looks for two years and was just missing them. He got some 1-9 looks early season the next few years and it wasn't like a defender was draped all over him. I don't remember him running screens to shoot early on though like Malachi is he was more just spotting up I believe. That will help Malachi as Cooney can always pull up off the dribble for 3-4 of his attempts.

Something to realize about Malachi and Howard they dribble the ball high that keeps them a consistant threat to pullup, and both of them can pull into that jumper spotting up and off the dribble upper chest level. They don't need to bring it back down waist level, or keep slouched over with it preventing their pullup. On malachis first bucket we saw this example he faked he was going inside the guy bit the fake and he was able to dribble the ball high and pullup.

Main point though, Last years Kaleb,Southerland, it wasn't about the opposing defenses as much as it is about being ready to put the ball in the basket.

Last edited:
Craig Forth had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 8 blocks in his first exhibition game. I thought he's immediately be the star of the team.

Actually, Carmelo Antony scored 37 points in his first exhibitions game. I thought Dave Bing's records would be toast. I suppose they might have been if hesd stayed four years but he didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom