Expectations | Syracusefan.com

Expectations

Cuse House

All American
As I am sitting here reading the board, it just boggles my mind that the expectations were so high this year. We win a couple games in March last year and everyone forgets that we weren’t a good team last season. It is never a bad thing to have tournament success, but making long runs as a double digit or high seed just isn’t something that can be replicated that often and is no indication that we would be a top 10 squad. Let’s face it, we had two outstanding final four runs that masked a ton of issues. If we based the preseason expectations on the total body of work from last year, we got basically what we were going to get from this group. Stagnant offense, and a defense that had the ability to be very good or very bad depending on the day. This squad just doesn’t mesh that well, it was missing key basketball skills and IQ all along.

I disagree, I think it was reasonable to expect:

- Darius Bazley to have a huge impact.

- Chukwu to have a great chance to develop into a defensive monster anchoring the zone.

- Dolezaj to bulk up a bit and become a more consistent contributor.

- Brissett to improve on last year's 15 & 9.

- Tyus to do as well as last year, if not a little better (19.2 pts, 32% from three)

- Howard to improve at least a little bit as well. (14.4 pts, 4.7 assists)

- Either Tyus (32.2% to 31.5%) or Frank (32.7% to 33.8%) to develop more of an outside shot

Instead:

- Bazley decommitted.

- Chukwu went from 5.4 pts, 6.8 reb, 2.5 blk to 4.3 pts, 5.4 reb, 1.8 blk

- Dolezaj went from 5.8 pts, 4.8 reb to 4.1 pts, 3.6 reb. He grew an inch but is listed at the same weight (and some reports say he lost weight).

- Brissett went backwards to 12 & 8

- Tyus went backwards in scoring and three point shooting.

- Howard went backwards in scoring and assists.

- Tyus got worse from long range and Frank only improved slightly.

I mean, when's the last time all five key returning players got worse? Or anyone decommitted to go to the G-league and sign a shoe deal with... New Balance?

I mean, shoot, when you're losing players to New Balance... That's not a good sign.

But if Bazley played for us this year and two of the other five or six things happened, that would have had to be worth at least three or four regular season wins, which probably would have probably put us in the top-15 and on one of the top four lines in the bracket. If Bazley showed and like three or four of the other five or six things happened, we could have been right up there with Duke, UNC and UVA at the top of the ACC and battling for a 1 or 2-seed.

It was a tragic convergence of bad luck to have NONE of that stuff work out this year. This time last year, 2018-19 really was setting up to be a great year for 'Cuse hoops.

Next year looks terrible, but hey, maybe we'll get really lucky and have some stuff fall our way.

By the way, when you have a bunch of starters/contributors returning and every single one of them gets worse, you don't blame the players, you blame the coaches. It's unacceptable.

It's a big enough deal that Boeheim should at least re-evaluate his assistants and their strengths and weaknesses, and what went wrong in that regard.

As I am sitting here reading the board, it just boggles my mind that the expectations were so high this year. We win a couple games in March last year and everyone forgets that we weren’t a good team last season. It is never a bad thing to have tournament success, but making long runs as a double digit or high seed just isn’t something that can be replicated that often and is no indication that we would be a top 10 squad. Let’s face it, we had two outstanding final four runs that masked a ton of issues. If we based the preseason expectations on the total body of work from last year, we got basically what we were going to get from this group. Stagnant offense, and a defense that had the ability to be very good or very bad depending on the day. This squad just doesn’t mesh that well, it was missing key basketball skills and IQ all along.

The expectations weren't only high on this board. Nine of the 31 writers/commentators on ESPNs expert panel had Syracuse in the Final Four. They were a KenPom top 10 program. Started the season ranked 15. The expectations were high from many outside of Syracuse fans for good reason. This is a low point for SU basketball. No one should be satisfied with just making the tournament. The standard is much higher at Syracuse and this group of players failed to live up to what putting that jersey on means.

By the way, when you have a bunch of starters/contributors returning and every single one of them gets worse, you don't blame the players, you blame the coaches. It's unacceptable.

It's a big enough deal that Boeheim should at least re-evaluate his assistants and their strengths and weaknesses, and what went wrong in that regard.

It's two fold. I haven't been a fan of the staff when it comes to recruiting and development. With that said, the people Oshae and Tyus worked with made them worse players.

We were the only team in a P5 to have our entire starting 5 return from the previous and added Buddy, Hughes, and Carey.
Holy revisionist history this thread OP is conducting. We were preseason 4 in the ACC polls by the coaches and ranked 16th in the polls.
JB said this was our best team in 5 years.

Expectations were reasonable this year. I mean the only solace was we played mediocre the entire year and just lost in the first round if we were great in the regular season and then flamed out in the first round it would have been worse.

...and all our key players were all over the place "working" out on their own last summer. The focus seemed off to me on this whole season right from the start.

They never had chemistry from the moment they stepped on the court. I’ve been calling it all season. That’s a locker room divided, guaranteed.

Found this post from about a month into the season and I think it still basically sums up my thoughts:
To be clear, I have no problem with anyone saying that this program has been mediocre recently and that it's unacceptable. I agree 100% with that. It's disappointing that we can't field a good or great team anymore. My point is simply that I never thought the preseason expectations made sense. Returning all of your players from a pretty bad team without a significant influx of talent isn't really a reason to expect this team to suddenly be great IMO. In particular, the guy that we count on the most showed zero improvement or possibly regression last year and we came into the season expecting a massive leap from him? It always defied logic in my opinion. The simple fact of the matter is that this team isn't very talented and is also glued to an offensive system that exacerbates their issues. A heavy pick-and-roll offense is a great thing if you have the personnel to run it: guards that can finish at the rim, shoot if the defense goes under the screen, and make good passes out of it; wings that can shoot or make backside cuts; and big men that can set good screens, catch the pass as the roll/pop man, and finish. This team has none of those pieces. I don't really get how anyone looked at the makeup of this team and thought that they'd be great.

Edit: I think there's a difference between expectations for the program and expectations for each year's individual team. This program is performing at an unacceptable level IMO. This team is performing pretty much exactly as I think we should have expected this year.

I disagree with the idea that some people have that returning all 5 starters from a bad team is a good thing. Part of the downside of this scenario is that there's never guarantees that guys will improve. I don't think it was really reasonable to expect much improvement from Battle, Howard, or Chukwu. I do think it was reasonable to expect improvement out of Brissett and Dolezaj though, as well as the influx of Hughes.

Battle was coming off a year in which he had shown zero improvement and yet people were projecting a massive leap into the All-American picture for him...it never made any sense. He did end up showing at least a little improvement this year, improving his scoring efficiency a little bit, cutting down on turnovers, and improving his playmaking a little bit (though this was always maybe his biggest flaw).

Howard just didn't look right for the majority of the season.

Brissett became a better, though still bad, finisher at the rim. I have no idea what happened to his free throw shooting and 3 point shot though. He remains a flat out bad basketball player that continues to soak up a ton of minutes. His lack of meaningful improvement is a major disappointment.

In some ways, Dolezaj became a different player, and in other ways, he remained the same. As a freshman, 6.7% of his shots came from 3 point range. That increased in a gigantic way this year, up to almost 30% of his shots, and he converted them at a high rate too. He improved his shooting percentages pretty significantly at all 3 levels of the court as well. He also showed a little more ability handling the ball than he did as a freshman, relying a little less on others to create for him. Unfortunately, his passive nature did not improve this season. I think Dolezaj is a player that we need to utilize more moving forwards, and also think that he would likely impact games far more if he had teammates that could create and pass.

The other guys were all basically newbies. Hughes was a nice addition and exceeded my expectations. Boeheim showed flashes of what might end up being a strong college career. Braswell showed a lot in the few minutes he received. Carey looked like a trainwreck. And Sidibe just never looked healthy.

Moving forwards, PG and C are the obvious holes; of the three things I mentioned that are necessary for Boeheim's "offense" to work, we should finally have the shooting box checked next season. The other two remain major flaws.

If you rewind back to the summer, no one could have ever anticipated all the events that would unfold. It reads like a Russian tragic novel. Bazley, Howard (twice!), Jimmy's accident, etc. Some of it was just totally random. Some of it was failure to perform. The team isn't blameless because they didn't improve or gel

But damn it was an exhausting year. I'm ready to take a break. Just don't think about bball for 4 months

I think we all learned to temper expectations. Maybe we can be pleasantly surprised next year.

Before the season JB told all the SU optimists to temper their feelings. Last team into the NCAA tournament. 3 close wins won primarily by tough defense. I saw the same thing. In order for the team to become one of the top teams in the country the returning players had to improve and they did not. The incoming players were inconsistent all year long. Carey had a wasted year. Hughes and Boeheim disappeared often. Bazley not showing up did not help but we were still highly ranked preseason without him. What disappointed me most on this year's team was the defense. So many wide open 3s by Baylor yesterday. In my opinion, 34 games played and only 3 quality wins -- Ohio State, Duke, and Louisville. Right now I don't see much positive for next season.

...and all our key players were all over the place "working" out on their own last summer. The focus seemed off to me on this whole season right from the start.

Can't happen this off-season.

Oshae is interesting because he was never supposed to be a three year guy. Two years, tops. He’ll be back because he still wants to be on that NBA track. I don’t see him getting forced out, a la Devo/Harris. But the staff better handcuff him to the Melo center this summer and make sure he doesn’t leave the 315. He went off gallivanting last summer and didn’t do jack to improve his game. Thus, what we saw this year.

I think Brissett knows that he was on the NBA track, is now in the weeds, and needs to put in the work to get back to where he wants to be. My money is on him to do just that and put up a fantastic junior season for us next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom