Extra Time out for GT. | Syracusefan.com

Extra Time out for GT.

SBU72

All Conference
GT got an extra time out those last few seconds of the game. Their coach asked the refs to check the time on the clock and when they did, called his players over for instructions. JB almost went ballistic. This should not be allowed. Players should be forced to stay on the court and not huddle with the coach. The same for when a players fouls out. The team essentially gets an extra TO. The time the coach gets to insert a new player was not meant to be a team TO.

GT got an extra time out those last few seconds of the game. Their coach asked the refs to check the time on the clock and when they did, called his players over for instructions. JB almost went ballistic. This should not be allowed. Players should be forced to stay on the court and not huddle with the coach. The same for when a players fouls out. The team essentially gets an extra TO. The time the coach gets to insert a new player was not meant to be a team TO.

I don't have a problem with the players and coaches huddling when the refs go to the monitors. Why shouldn't they be able to? What probably shouldn't be allowed is for a coach to make the request for the refs to go to the monitor for something. If the 3 refs don't see the need, then don't do it.

I don't have a problem with the players and coaches huddling when the refs go to the monitors. Why shouldn't they be able to? What probably shouldn't be allowed is for a coach to make the request for the refs to go to the monitor for something. If the 3 refs don't see the need, then don't do it.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. JB huddled with our guys when DC fouled out.

You get 30 secs to make a substitution when a player fouls out and you are allowed to discuss it with your team.

Requesting that the refs "check the monitor and clock" then gathering your team together is definitely Belichick-ing it.

Okay, that's funny. You win this one. I'm with you.

agree. you're allowed to huddle up after someone fouls out. if a coach however requests a review players should be directed to retire to a neutral corner.

I think its a Huge deal especially considering the first 3 seconds JB started talking to the team the ref ran over and said get back on the court. Not as big of a deal as those awful late whistles though.

Good point.

During the game when a coach makes a substitution he doesn't gather the whole team over to discuss what he wants. why should a guy fouling out really be different. The guy who is "expelled" sits down and the sub comes in. during the game the players stay on the court, they should then too.

no coach can possibly predict when a player will pick up a fifth foul. thus a brief timeout has always been granted to set a new lineup and brief strategy.
calling for a review however IMO falls into a totally different category. you can still send the same players out on the floor. it's a ploy that's getting abused,

You get 30 secs to make a substitution when a player fouls out and you are allowed to discuss it with your team.

Requesting that the refs "check the monitor and clock" then gathering your team together is definitely Belichick-ing it.
I thought it was John Thompson-esque. GT likes to huddle more than the Redskins.

If there is truly a problem with coaches getting extra timeouts, then allow them to do whatever they want, but when the referees are ready to resume the action they put the ball on the floor and start the five count. If the offensive team is ready they inbound against no defense. That way coaches can't extend the length of the stoppage by calling their team over and then being slow to break the huddle, but not letting them talk to each other just seems dumb to me.

If there is truly a problem with coaches getting extra timeouts, then allow them to do whatever they want, but when the referees are ready to resume the action they put the ball on the floor and start the five count. If the offensive team is ready they inbound against no defense. That way coaches can't extend the length of the stoppage by calling their team over and then being slow to break the huddle, but not letting them talk to each other just seems dumb to me.
I was going to suggest that teams could not come over to bench during the review but coaches could instruct a bench player what to tell the rest of the team and make a replacement on the floor. But after seeing your comment, I like it much better, it is simpler now just make sure the referees execute it in a timely manner.

no coach can possibly predict when a player will pick up a fifth foul. thus a brief timeout has always been granted to set a new lineup and brief strategy.
calling for a review however IMO falls into a totally different category. you can still send the same players out on the floor. it's a ploy that's getting abused,
Coleman fouls out and Lydon is going to replace him. What is there to discuss? Its a substitution during a game that is made all the time without discussion EXCEPT when Coleman fouls out. Lydon then fouls out, and JB decides to go real small with Roberson in the middle. Not a usual substitution but still the players should know what to do. The coaches call defenses and offensive plays all the time from the bench, why should this be any different.

Not to belabor the point. I can go with a huddle when replacing a player fouling out but not for asking for a review JUST TO GET AN EXTRA timeout. That to me boarders on a TO offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom