Far from done with NCAA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Far from done with NCAA

Or at least a single reduction. I don't have any inside information, but if SU was really expecting to keep Ennis and Grant this year, there's two of the scholarships.
yeah they self imposed after they learned in April Ennis and Grant weren't coming back...lol Bet the NCAA loved that one

I hear ya. The good news is the report will be out soon and at least we will know where we stand and what our options are. Its unfortunate for sure especially when you consider if the whole Bernie Fine thing never happened none of this would be an issue right now but it is what it is.
That's exactly what I've been saying. Penn State begat Bernie Fine /ESPN begat NCAA looking for stuff.

I hear ya. The good news is the report will be out soon and at least we will know where we stand and what our options are. Its unfortunate for sure especially when you consider if the whole Bernie Fine thing never happened none of this would be an issue right now but it is what it is.

FWIW- I don't know much, but I was told this has nothing to do with Bernie.

MikeSU02 said:
Question for you - can the non-use of all our scholarships this year be something that can retroactively be leveraged in the future? For example, we get hit with scholarship reductions and we then apply this non-use of all 13 scholarships at that time?

Highly doubtful.

They fought for no post season ban. If they get it they are going for blood. Attorneys will make their $$$$
The up side is they could get no post season ban. The down side has a bright side, my school landing the first blow in the destruction of the NCAA

True, but usually the one with the best gpa is the best bet to stay eligible and graduate. It's really a poor measure of academics and encourages schools to put scholarship athletes in easier majors/courses.

This is an example of an unintended consequence of a rule enacted with good intentions.

When's the last time the basketball team had a kid major in something other than CRS or Child and Family Studies? Before the APR rule took effect, how many basketball players majored in either of those courses of study? (I don't know the answer, but I don't remember seeing those pop up until a couple years ago. Pretty clear what's going on there.)

This is an example of an unintended consequence of a rule enacted with good intentions.

When's the last time the basketball team had a kid major in something other than CRS or Child and Family Studies? Before the APR rule took effect, how many basketball players majored in either of those courses of study? (I don't know the answer, but I don't remember seeing those pop up until a couple years ago. Pretty clear what's going on there.)

As I remember, sociology was our go-to major back in the day.

I think those were both popular before APR (CRS was called Speech Communications), but SU has also raised GPA needed to switch majors. I know you need a 3.0 to get into a liberal arts major now, so that might limit some options that were available previously.

I think those were both popular before APR (CRS was called Speech Communications), but SU has also raised GPA needed to switch majors. I know you need a 3.0 to get into a liberal arts major now, so that might limit some options that were available previously.

Ah, I remember Speech Communications. Didn't know they changed the name.

Perusing the site is pretty depressing. http://vpa.syr.edu/crs/undergraduate

"Balance and flexibility make CRS a great major for the 21st century. Very few people will remain in the same career field throughout their professional lives, and most people will find that their own personal interests and ambitions will take them through a wide variety of professional and civic activities. But wherever you go and whatever profession you undertake, the core skills involved in the CRS program will help: the ability to listen, think critically, organize information, lead groups, and advocate for yourself and others."

All those things they list? Those are corollary benefits of taking real courses; you pick up those skills while also learning about something substantive. This is the worst of both worlds: a course of study that doesn't do anything to satisfy intellectual curiosity and, despite their claim, would never be viewed as an asset by an employer. Critical thinking? Take English or philosophy or political science or any other real major that enhances critical thinking skills.

Also, they misuse "comprise" on the curriculum page. The benefits of an education concentrating in communication and rhetoric, I suppose...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom