Fargo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fargo

Fargo has been amazing this season, and I didn't think they could beat the first season. The writing may be second to none on cable TV.

I really liked the first season too, loved Billy Bob's character.

True Detective season 1 was really, really good, and with McConaughey and Harrelson it had top notch A list acting - that's why it had so much buzz. But season 2 was such a burnt turd that I think the buzz around that show has pretty much dried up.
Agree, the Fargo writing is great. True Detective sucks this season.

Crusty said:
Agree, the Fargo writing is great. True Detective sucks this season.

I think True Detective always kind of sucked. You got pulled into it because of the cast, the last line in the first episode and of course the incredible shoot out single camera scene. But the rest of it was kind of awful. Or maybe I'm just so down on it because of the 2nd season.

Fargo is just incredible though.

I think True Detective always kind of sucked. You got pulled into it because of the cast, the last line in the first episode and of course the incredible shoot out single camera scene. But the rest of it was kind of awful. Or maybe I'm just so down on it because of the 2nd season.

Good point. My wife dropped out early last year and I hung in there figuring it had to get better, but it didn't until the very end. Not even in the same league with Justified and Fargo.

Good point. My wife dropped out early last year and I hung in there figuring it had to get better, but it didn't until the very end. Not even in the same league with Justified and Fargo.

I think the peaks and valleys feel is just part of what True Detective is. A lot of time spent setting the table for the big crescendo.

The beauty of Fargo is that it is a weave of different stories all coming to the same conclusion, similar to TD, but there are enough subplots that conclude prior to the main plot that it always keeps you interested. And they do a fantastic job developing their characters. Maybe the best I've seen.

That whole bizarre line about Paper Mache that Vince Vaughn was mumbling about - that pretty much was the end for me with that season. And I was really looking forward to seeing him play a role that is totally out of his comfort zone. The worst part about TD season 2 is that I felt they did a horrid job developing the characters.

Slow, boring and weird writing. That was TD season two. Oh and a lot of panning overhead shots of LA freeways lol.

True Detective was only solid in the first season because of a few things: 1) McConaughey and Harrelson were just so damn good, 2) there was enough mystery to keep you intrigued, 3) it had some fantastic action direction - like that 6 minute single shot shootout/chase/escape through that crappy neighborhood midway through the season, and 4) Alexandra Daddario's, ahem, assets in the second episode and the hope that they might reappear at another point in the season.

tep624 said:
I think the peaks and valleys feel is just part of what True Detective is. A lot of time spent setting the table for the big crescendo.

The beauty of Fargo is that it is a weave of different stories all coming to the same conclusion, similar to TD, but there are enough subplots that conclude prior to the main plot that it always keeps you interested. And they do a fantastic job developing their characters. Maybe the best I've seen.

TD characters seem like cartoons and they are such cliches. The dirty cop...with a dark past! The tough woman cop...with a dark past. The decorated veteran turned cop..who is secretly gay. The thug who wants to go legit...but can't.

With Fargo, I'm interested in getting to know all the characters. And you get to know them without being beaten over the head.

Take Betsy Solverson. I think her first scene had her telling Lou that she could handle getting Molly to bed because "she's six, not Pol Pot." That one line told me that she's clever, funny, smart...and you could see right away that she was a real person. Like I can imagine her existing and that conversation happening in real life between a loving couple.

TD characters seem like cartoons and they are such cliches. The dirty cop...with a dark past! The tough woman cop...with a dark past. The decorated veteran turned cop..who is secretly gay. The thug who wants to go legit...but can't.

With Fargo, I'm interested in getting to know all the characters. And you get to know them without being beaten over the head.

Take Betsy Solverson. I think her first scene had her telling Lou that she could handle getting Molly to bed because "she's six, not Pol Pot." That one line told me that she's clever, funny, smart...and you could see right away that she was a real person. Like I can imagine her existing and that conversation happening in real life between a loving couple.

The cliché stuff was especially bad in the second season of TD. It was very disjointed from start to finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom