Favorite NYS Orange | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite NYS Orange

Maurice Jackson and Ashton Broyld went to my alma mater of John Marshall HS in the city of Rochester.
Broyld then transferred to Rush-Henrietta HS in the suburbs.

Got Riley. but I forgot Donny was from Brooklyn!

Don McPherson. Dunno where he grew up but know he went to West Hempstead HS on Long Island. Was a mentor of mine during HS in the mid to late 90s and 1 reason I was interested in attending SU. He and other former pro athletes formed a group called Athletes Helping Athletes and they’d mentor and train HS student-athletes to speak to and with younger kids about drugs, alcohol, sex, and other growing up subjects. Idea was that by the time a kid is in 8th or 9th grade, it’s likely too little too late to get through to them. Don and Mookie Wilson were my favorites during the program. Recall sitting next to Amos Zereoue during a lecture and workshop at Shea Stadium thinking, “This kid’s muscles have muscles.”

Don would come to my HS’s “chapter” and work with us. Couldn’t have been a more selfless guy with his time and always offered up thoughts and opinions that’d make this HS kid question or think about 100 other things.

PS: 1 year that we made the Nassau County “Big 4” Playoffs, Freeport beat us 54-6 in the regular season and then we made it close in the playoffs only losing 46-0. Think Clifton Smith was either a sophomore or junior on that team. The best player in the county, aside from “famous” Amos, was Brandon Moore; a kid who somehow wasn’t recruited by SU from what I know even though brother Rob was a “decent” WR at Syracuse and the NY Jets. Brandon also went on to the NFL after going to Oklahoma.

Don McPherson. Dunno where he grew up but know he went to West Hempstead HS on Long Island. Was a mentor of mine during HS in the mid to late 90s and 1 reason I was interested in attending SU. He and other former pro athletes formed a group called Athletes Helping Athletes and they’d mentor and train HS student-athletes to speak to and with younger kids about drugs, alcohol, s e x, and other growing up subjects. Idea was that by the time a kid is in 8th or 9th grade, it’s likely too little too late to get through to them. Don and Mookie Wilson were my favorites during the program. Recall sitting next to Amos Zereoue during a lecture and workshop at Shea Stadium thinking, “This kid’s muscles have muscles.”

Don would come to my HS’s “chapter” and work with us. Couldn’t have been a more selfless guy with his time and always offered up thoughts and opinions that’d make this HS kid question or think about 100 other things.

PS: 1 year that we made the Nassau County “Big 4” Playoffs, Freeport beat us 54-6 in the regular season and then we made it close in the playoffs only losing 46-0. Think Clifton Smith was either a sophomore or junior on that team. The best player in the county, aside from “famous” Amos, was Brandon Moore; a kid who somehow wasn’t recruited by SU from what I know even though brother Rob was a “decent” WR at Syracuse and the NY Jets. Brandon also went on to the NFL after going to Oklahoma.
We missed on some serious LI talent in those years that could have made a difference