Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate | Syracusefan.com

Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate

Personally, he's not my first choice but it is what it is.

I'm good with him. I would also gauge interest from Golden and Diaco and see if they could be lured. It's gonna cost them, but its time for SU to decide if they want to go big time or go home.

Why are so many people down on him as HC? Sincere question, I have no opinion.

If hiring Schafer means keeping Hackett, I'm all in. I think it is critically important to keep Hackett mainly from a recruiting standpoint. He was an important figure with the high school offensive recruits (Allen, Wilson, Edwards and Smith).

I'll go on record saying I would support this move. I agree with others that we need a gambling kind of defense, and Scott brings that in spades. If Hackett stays and the offense continues to perform well after 3 years, I would also be fine with naming NH head coach in waiting. Give recruits a sense of continuity and take as much doubt out of the situation as possible.

@BFeldmanCBS
Hearing that Syracuse defensive coordinator Scott Shafer has emerged as a strong candidate for Cuse HC vacancy.
I like Shafer a lot, and think he would do a good job as HC. If I had to choose between him and Hackett, I would chose Hackett because I think good offensive minds are harder to find than good defensive ones. Really like where our offense is now and want it to continue.

If Shafer becomes HC and Hackett is retained as the OC, at a significant pay raise, I would be happy. Personally, I think DM will go after Hackett hard and the only way to retain him is to make him the HC.

If this turns out to be true, I would hire Hackett as HC.

Because of the timing, there are no really appealing candidates out there in our price range, even if the HC salary is expanded to 2 million/year. I am fine with making a search now, seeing if anyone qualified is out there and interested, but it shouldn't last for 2 or 3 weeks. A few days should be more than sufficient to see what other options are out there besides hiring from the inside.

The spring semester starts next week. IMHO, we need a new HC in place before then.

2 bowl games in 4 years. Co-champs of our conference. Keep it in the family and keep Hackett.

I'm good with Shafer. Comes from a coaching family. College quarterback in a "run and shoot" offense. Stints at Rhode Island, Western Michigan, Stanford and Michigan before coming to Syracuse and we all know what he's done here. He and his family also seem to like living in Syracuse. I think Hack goes back to the Bills with Doug, but if he doesn't he could be given "Assistant Head Coach" duties in addition to OC ressponsibilities and a nice bump in salary.

This could work.

I'm good with him. I would also gauge interest from Golden and Diaco and see if they could be lured. It's gonna cost them, but its time for SU to decide if they want to go big time or go home.

Golden is unrealistic in my opinion. Diaco on the other hand, would be a great choice. Many BC fans thought he was the guy until it was announced they "Settled" on Addazio.

I like Shafer a lot, and think he would do a good job as HC. If I had to choose between him and Hackett, I would chose Hackett because I think good offensive minds are harder to find than good defensive ones. Really like where our offense is now and want it to continue.

If Shafer becomes HC and Hackett is retained as the OC, at a significant pay raise, I would be happy. Personally, I think DM will go after Hackett hard and the only way to retain him is to make him the HC.

Because of the timing, there are no really appealing candidates out there in our price range, even if the HC salary is expanded to 2 million/year. I am fine with making a search now, seeing if anyone qualified is out there and interested, but it shouldn't last for 2 or 3 weeks. A few days should be more than sufficient to see what other options are out there besides hiring from the inside.

The spring semester starts next week. IMHO, we need a new HC in place before then.

Tom...have you or anyone here ever had any talks with Shafer regarding his future plans and if being a HC was something he wanted to do? What type of coach he would be?

Shafer would be about 7th or 8th on my list. Would not like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

isn't hackett a few years removed from high school? too fresh faced to be considered for a HC job at this point.

isn't hackett a few years removed from high school? too fresh faced to be considered for a HC job at this point.

If 16 or so years is just out of high school then yes.

To me, its probably more of a grass is greener sort of thing. Scafer has jumped around and been canned from a few jobs, not HC material i think. But honestly, he has done a great job here. That being said, his resume looks like many others, actually more impressive than any others thrown out on this board...

1991–1992 Indiana (GA)
1993–1995 Rhode Island (DB)
1996–1999 Northern Illinois (DB)[1]
2000–2003 Northern Illinois (DC)
2004 Illinois (DB)[2]
2005–2006 Western Michigan (DC)[3]
2007 Stanford (DC/AHC) [4]
2008 Michigan (DC)[5]
2009–present Syracuse (DC)
That being said, if you cant get Diaco, then I would be ok with Schaf​

Shafer screams lifetime coordinator to me and imo would be the ultimate "settle" hire.

He doesn't seem to be very energetic or motivated to further his career. Not a good recruiter. Just doesn't come across as head coach material at all.

A fine coordinator, but head coach is a completely different breed, and I just don't see Shafer as having that "it" factor at all.

We can do better. There are many good candidates out there. Tom Herman (Ohio State), Shawn Watson (Louisville), Phil Montgomery (Baylor), Dameyune Craig (Florida State, now Auburn), Chad Morris (Clemson).

If we were to promote someone, it has to be Hackett. Bring in Raegan as OC. Try to keep Shafer as DC, if he wants to leave so be it. We'll find someone to replace him. Defense is all about talent.

While I'm sure there are better candidates out there, I support this move from a continuity point of view. If this helps to maintain the late season momentum into the ACC, so be it.

Not sure why people are so high on Golden. Intraconference head coaching moves are rare and frowned upon. Besides, if Golden builds up Miami to what it once was, he can replace Bill O'Brien when he leaves for the NFL eventually.

It sounds like Marrone will have his staff selected for him, and apparently that is common for a rookie NFL head coach (might also indicate why so many rookie HCs don't make it in this meathead, power grab sport that I love so much). So I doubt the Bills are going to allow him to bring in an OC that's so young. Good for SU if true. Double his salary (at least) to be OC, associate HC, should Shafer be named HC.

Tom...have you or anyone here ever had any talks with Shafer regarding his future plans and if being a HC was something he wanted to do? What type of coach he would be?
My understanding is that he has had the chance to be a HC in the MAC at least twice in the past and turned it down.

I know the kids he coaches like and respect him. I think he is a good, not great X and O guy. I think he would recruit reasonably well, but he is not a NE guy and never will be and I don't see the presence a great HC has when he enters a room. Won't be great with alums, fans and the media...not an out going Coach Mac style guy.

I know he wants to be a HC but is willing to wait for a good situation where he thinks he can be successful.

I want someone who is coaching in college right now, has experience recruiting in the East, and has at least has been a coordinator coaching at a high level school or program.

My list:

Golden
Diaco
Hackett
Shafer

I am 99.9% sure we cannot get Golden from Miami and I openly doubt we will pay Diaco and his staff enough to get him to come here. Would love to be proven wrong on either count.

Not sure why people are so high on Golden. Intraconference head coaching moves are rare and frowned upon. Besides, if Golden builds up Miami to what it once was, he can replace Bill O'Brien when he leaves for the NFL eventually.

Because he's a phenomenal recruiter with strong northeastern ties.

@BFeldmanCBS
Hearing that Syracuse defensive coordinator Scott Shafer has emerged as a strong candidate for Cuse HC vacancy.

Fine with me. People act like it's the end of the world if we don't do an exhaustive search right now.

I prefer a more humble approach. We don't have time, we don't have our together at all, we have assistants who have done just fine. Trade doubts about future recruiting for increased security for this year's recruiting. Keep him on a short leash and if we need to do an exhaustive search in a couple years, well, then we'll be more prepared.

If some obvious candidate approaches you, then great

Well, being high on Golden, and thinking it's realistic are two different things.

I think he's one of the first calls you make. If/when he says no, you move on. But unless you ask, you'll never know.

I think moving from Miami to Syracuse will be the biggest obstacle. Honey, can you come home from the beach, I have great news!

As far as PSU, if O'Brien didn't move now when he had the chance, it's more likely he settles in as a college guy. At least that's what I'd be thinking if my dream job was running the Pedophile U's football program.

Shafer -HC
Hackett - OC
Daoust - DC
Wheatley -RB/Offensive assistant
Bring in a good special teams coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online