Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate

To me, its probably more of a grass is greener sort of thing. Scafer has jumped around and been canned from a few jobs, not HC material i think. But honestly, he has done a great job here. That being said, his resume looks like many others, actually more impressive than any others thrown out on this board...

1991–1992 Indiana (GA)
1993–1995 Rhode Island (DB)
1996–1999 Northern Illinois (DB)[1]
2000–2003 Northern Illinois (DC)
2004 Illinois (DB)[2]
2005–2006 Western Michigan (DC)[3]
2007 Stanford (DC/AHC) [4]
2008 Michigan (DC)[5]
2009–present Syracuse (DC)
That being said, if you cant get Diaco, then I would be ok with Schaf​

He was canned at Michigan as a scapegoat as Rodriguez forced him to run RichRod's defense rather than his own.

Because people are insane. No program does that unless the head coach is nearing retirement.
We don't have a head coach but we know who our next one after that is

If we had brought Shafer in as HC 4 years ago instead of Marrone, what would everyone's reaction have been? Now in theory our brand is in theory stronger and theoretically we have more money and all of the sudden Shafer is top choice? We need to be aiming for the stars here to build on the momentum Marrone and our ACC acceptance created. I'm ok with Shafer as a fallback if all our go for the gold guys passed.

Just reading the resume makes me like this guy:

Bob Diaco, defensive coordinator, Notre Dame – Diaco has quickly emerged as one of college football’s top assistant coaches and is ready for a chance to run his own program. The New Jersey native has never worked as a head coach but worked as an assistant at Iowa, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Virginia, Cincinnati and since 2010 with Notre Dame. Under Diaco’s leadership, the Fighting Irish have shown big improvement on defense, ranking first nationally in points allowed and fifth in total defense before the national championship. Diaco won the Broyles Award for the top assistant coach in the nation this year and despite his lack of head coaching experience, he should be near the top of Syracuse’s short list to replace Marrone.

I know he is. I meant, why do people think he is a realistic possibility? Why do people think Miami is going to let a fellow ACC school talk to him?

1. We're not an ACC school yet.
2. Ignoring #1, we're in a different division, and it's a 14 team league, so we'll hardly play each other. Big reason why NC State backed down from their non compete with TOB. Settle for less money, and he won't really get in the way at UVA.
3. If Miami doesn't let him at least talk to people, then he's not going to stay at Miami.

Why do you make Hackett coach in waiting?

If you make Shafer the coach, he deserves full confidence.

Agree, coach in waiting makes no sense. Associate head coach, that can work.

We're not keeping Hackett forever. I think (hope) everyone knows that. But if we don't give him HC, but we give him more money and a Associate Head Coach title for his resume, we can hold onto him a little longer.

Or we could just make him HC I guess. But the school needs to do a lot of vetting, hopefully with Marrone offering thoughts on it. Again, assuming he's still an alum who has the best interest of the program in his heart.

If they hire Shafer without interviewing Diaco I will be very upset.

We have an former Alabama Defensive linemen on our staff, he said nobody can stand Saban. Not anything about his coaching because he is obviously a very good coach. Alot of great coaches dont have alot of friends while they are in the business.
Nick and i were neighbors in East Lansing MI. I had purchased a company in Okemos and built a home in White Hills Woods. As a side note the builder was an ex Michigan State Bball player. Anyway directly across the street was Nick. This was around the time we recruited the RB kids out of Conn as i remember Nick giving me when they selected cuse over Michigan State. Anyway he was very reserved very intense and very ecentric. His wife forgot her name was a gem and his kids were nice. I only lived by him for a year or so as we sold the company and i moved to KC. Nice guy but couldnt stand being around people. Kinda reminds me of Bill B. I always thought that he would make a great coach in the NFL as i knew that he hated recruiting. Oh i also met the Oline coach forget his name but he was at a party one time at Nicks seemed like a good guy but i remember his wife telling Kate that she hated the fact that he was gone all the time because of recruiting...

Nick and i were neighbors in East Lansing MI. I had purchased a company in Okemos and built a home in White Hills Woods. As a side note the builder was an ex Michigan State Bball player. Anyway directly across the street was Nick. This was around the time we recruited the RB kids out of Conn as i remember Nick giving me **** when they selected cuse over Michigan State. Anyway he was very reserved very intense and very ecentric. His wife forgot her name was a gem and his kids were nice. I only lived by him for a year or so as we sold the company and i moved to KC. Nice guy but couldnt stand being around people. Kinda reminds me of Bill B. I always thought that he would make a great coach in the NFL as i knew that he hated recruiting. Oh i also met the Oline coach forget his name but he was at a party one time at Nicks seemed like a good guy but i remember his wife telling Kate that she hated the fact that he was gone all the time because of recruiting...
I wonder how much "on-the-road" recruiting a coach like Saban actually does now? I would guess that he delegates most of the travel to his assistants and primarily makes in home visits when necessary.

I wonder how much "on-the-road" recruiting a coach like Saban actually does now? I would guess that he delegates most of the travel to his assistants and primarily makes in home visits when necessary.

Probably not much. The bulk of the on the road recruiting is done by the assistants.

If we had brought Shafer in as HC 4 years ago instead of Marrone, what would everyone's reaction have been? Now in theory our brand is in theory stronger and theoretically we have more money and all of the sudden Shafer is top choice? We need to be aiming for the stars here to build on the momentum Marrone and our ACC acceptance created. I'm ok with Shafer as a fallback if all our go for the gold guys passed.
This is exactly right.

Why are so many people down on him as HC? Sincere question, I have no opinion.

It seems like the least expensive choice.

I like Shafer a lot, and think he would do a good job as HC. If I had to choose between him and Hackett, I would chose Hackett because I think good offensive minds are harder to find than good defensive ones. Really like where our offense is now and want it to continue.

If Shafer becomes HC and Hackett is retained as the OC, at a significant pay raise, I would be happy. Personally, I think DM will go after Hackett hard and the only way to retain him is to make him the HC.

If this turns out to be true, I would hire Hackett as HC.

Because of the timing, there are no really appealing candidates out there in our price range, even if the HC salary is expanded to 2 million/year. I am fine with making a search now, seeing if anyone qualified is out there and interested, but it shouldn't last for 2 or 3 weeks. A few days should be more than sufficient to see what other options are out there besides hiring from the inside.

The spring semester starts next week. IMHO, we need a new HC in place before then.

Do we really know that Hackett is that good of an offensive mind? It seems like they stumbled onto the hurry up offense almost by accident at the beginning of the season (implemented only 2 weeks before the first game), and then you add in that they refocused the offense from pass-first to ground game in mid-season. I see a young guy who can change course, but if you look back at the 3 years he has been here, it's not a sensational body of work, in terms of how productive our offense has been, until about halfway through this last year.

Only Tress Can Fix This Mess!

No. Way.

Doug left this program on an upwards trajectory. Tress crapped all over himself as OSU... They are still cleaning.

Im hoping for Golden, Diaco or whatever keeps BOTH Shafer and Hackett. If we just keep one as HC and the other bolts, im kind of iffy on it.

Surprised I'm this far into this thread and no one has brought up Jagodzinski. He did a great job at BC.

Best choice is Shafer as head coach, make Hackett coach in waiting try to keep staff together with raises for all, and bring in a strong recruiter.

Shafer's not that old that he is going to retire anytime soon. Hackett would be gone long before Shafer "retired".

I hope Gross wrote into Marrone's contract that he would be required to leave his binder behind if he ever left.

Just reading the resume makes me like this guy:

Bob Diaco, defensive coordinator, Notre Dame – Diaco has quickly emerged as one of college football’s top assistant coaches and is ready for a chance to run his own program. The New Jersey native has never worked as a head coach but worked as an assistant at Iowa, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Virginia, Cincinnati and since 2010 with Notre Dame. Under Diaco’s leadership, the Fighting Irish have shown big improvement on defense, ranking first nationally in points allowed and fifth in total defense before the national championship. Diaco won the Broyles Award for the top assistant coach in the nation this year and despite his lack of head coaching experience, he should be near the top of Syracuse’s short list to replace Marrone.

Shafer has essentially the same resume.

Do we really know that Hackett is that good of an offensive mind? It seems like they stumbled onto the hurry up offense almost by accident at the beginning of the season (implemented only 2 weeks before the first game), and then you add in that they refocused the offense from pass-first to ground game in mid-season. I see a young guy who can change course, but if you look back at the 3 years he has been here, it's not a sensational body of work, in terms of how productive our offense has been, until about halfway through this last year.

Half way through the season? They scored 41 pts and 596yds the first game of the season.

Shafer has essentially the same resume.

Shafer is not coaching the number 1 team in the nation and the team in the national title game. That stuff matters to the perception of recruits and national media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom