Final TD Enthusiasm, or lack thereof | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Final TD Enthusiasm, or lack thereof

This last half of the season makes me wonder if a call to Brennan Armstrong happens.
NC State would be my guess
I doubt he would come here with Shrader entrenched as the starter
Dinot is not the guy to call a kid up and say "come start, the keys are yours"

Sure seemed like some frustration throughout the game. Gadsen was shaking his head a bunch.
He’s a big baby.

My opinion of him changed drastically after the 6-0 start - as soon as things went south, so did his effort and attitude.

I don't believe it
You have all this talk about he is the go to guy when players have/had problems we've heard talk of them going to Shrader
They had an article this off season about how he was the teams mechanic and he drove to help teammates out with flat tires and oil changes
Yes think you’re right, thank you, I stand corrected on this part of my comments tonight.

Being at the game that was my in game impression watching the game action I saw as well as sideline doings, but with Missing a play here and a play there, talking with people walking around the stadium a bit, you end up missing a lot.

Just re-watched the game in it’s totality and in that totality of the game I was wrong, so I nuked that post because it wasn’t accurate. What is accurate though is that for greater successes he needs to be more of a vocal demonstrative leader, taking control of the team, making it HIS team.

Last edited:
This last half of the season makes me wonder if a call to Brennan Armstrong happens.
He was obviously injured and although he said he was healthy he still didn’t seem quite right running the ball. I think he would have taken off half of the time today when he tried extending plays looking down the field. If you’re asking for Armstrong you’re asking for the left handed version of Shrader. A healthy Shrader that is healthy and runs like he did in 2021 plus the improvements he made in 2022 is what we have to hope to see in 2023. With our lack of playmakers outside of Gadsen I would like to see him just tuck it and go a lot more.

He will absolutely be back but assuming he get's his degree in the spring or over the summer he could absolutely transfer without penalty anywhere.
True. But this is his second school and fourth or fifth OC. I don't see him transferring and I don't see him not being QB 1 next year.

Is it telling that only two players came over and congratulated Shrader after the final TD. Barely anyone tapped him on the sideline. Is it because the team felt they were out of the game or something more to do with Shrader? Just seemed off.

My opinion only -- it's because the game wasn't over, we needed to focus defensively to try to get the ball back, and the team seemed dialed in on that. Don't think it had anything to do with Shrader.

What about Oronde’s body language on the pick 6. Just threw his hands up at GS instead of immediately going after the guy that picked it off.
How do you know it was at GS? This comment is like the other comment about people not congratulating GS on the TD. Your making assumptions and those assumptions a week later turn into laughable "online facts " that GS has lost the team or something when there is no factual basis. Unless of course you spoke with Gadsden after the game and he was like "Yeah I am pissed at GS for throwing the INT and I am going to stand here in anger at him". If that happened then I admit wholeheartedly I am wrong.

We lost , as is usual people are reading way too much into every little blip. We’re going to be fine , Garrett had a what would have been a good day if you could pull back two plays . Move forward.
When he is healthy, his running makes him a good college QB.

His passing went from abysmal to decent from 2021 to 2022.

Hopefully he can take another step forward to “good” next year - if so, he’ll be an outstanding QB for Syracuse.

If he’s maxed out - he’ll still be a good SU QB when he’s healthy and can run. In that scenario, when he’s banged up and can’t run, we should have a number 2 that we can go with next year….either Wilson or Lamson. The potential to put a good QB on the field every week next year excites me. Upgrade the WR and TE spots too and we might avoid the November swoon.

Well, it took them too long. There wasn't enough time to realistically have a chance to win the game.

That idiot announcer who kept going on about trying for the 2 point conversion was missing the obvious point that there was only 2:30 left in the game. "Knowing if you need one score or two" is not a strategy to be recommended, when 1 first down allows them to run out the clock.

You have to keep it to one score and hope you get lucky.
And he was saying how SU should go for the “field goal” after the touchdown. Said it at least twice.

When he is healthy, his running makes him a good college QB.

His passing went from abysmal to decent from 2021 to 2022.

Hopefully he can take another step forward to “good” next year - if so, he’ll be an outstanding QB for Syracuse.

If he’s maxed out - he’ll still be a good SU QB when he’s healthy and can run. In that scenario, when he’s banged up and can’t run, we should have a number 2 that we can go with next year….either Wilson or Lamson. The potential to put a good QB on the field every week next year excites me. Upgrade the WR and TE spots too and we might avoid the November swoon.
He completed 63% of his passes yesterday for 330 yards. Take out the pick 6 and his performance would be looked at completely differently.

A QB's accuracy starts with footwork. IMO, yesterday's field conditions really effected GS in the first half. He made adjustments and played much better as the game went on. As others have mentioned, he still didn't look healthy to me. He didn't have any explosiveness when using his legs. Bottom line...we're lucky to have him.

Last edited:
He completed 63% of his passes yesterday for 330 yards. Take out the pick 6 and his performance would be looked at completely differently.

A QB's accuracy starts with footwork. IMO, the yesterday's field conditions really effected GS in the first half. He made adjustments and played much better as the game went on. As others have mentioned, he still didn't look healthy to me. He didn't have any explosiveness when using his legs. Bottom line...we're lucky to have him.
Yup. Since McNabb, he’s one of 3 QBs we’ve had who could carry the offense enough for us to win. Just need another guy (like TD in 2018), because it’s hard to keep a QB who plays like him healthy all year.

Yup. Since McNabb, he’s one of 3 QBs we’ve had who could carry the offense enough for us to win. Just need another guy (like TD in 2018), because it’s hard to keep a QB who plays like him healthy all year.
What we need is a 2018. Keep Shrader healthy all year as a senior with an experienced and deep defense coached by a legend. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Lequint will be better in this offense than Tuck was. His pass catching skills are so smooth and unlike any back I can remember. I didn’t see the next gear explosiveness Tucker has but that very well could have been the ice skating ring we were playing on. This team has a chance to be very good if we stay healthy, which is anything but a give in, and clean up the pre snap penalties that put us behind the chains.

What we need is a 2018. Keep Shrader healthy all year as a senior with an experienced and deep defense coached by a legend. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Lequint will be better in this offense than Tuck was. His pass catching skills are so smooth and unlike any back I can remember. I didn’t see the next gear explosiveness Tucker has but that very well could have been the ice skating ring we were playing on. This team has a chance to be very good if we stay healthy, which is anything but a give in, and clean up the pre snap penalties that put us behind the chains.
From what I saw, Allen looked impressive. And yeah, looks like a smooth receiver out of the backfield.

From what I saw, Allen looked impressive. And yeah, looks like a smooth receiver out of the backfield.
Also, what do we all think of a Damien Rhodes comparison for Allen?

Allen might have Joe Morris Speed, did get caught on that 90 yarder but probably because hadn't played much.

Randy Savage Wrestling GIF by WWE