First Four history | Syracusefan.com

First Four history

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
The “First Four” games played in Dayton first started in 2010 when the field expanded to 68 teams. Two of the games are pit the lowest 16 seeds against each other so they can fight who will be the sacrificial lamb for a 1 seed.

The other two games pit the last four at large bids against each other. This is a virtual “bubble play-in” game. Most would think of these games as an afterthought. You don’t even get to partake in becoming an actual team on everyone’s bracket office pool games. Instead the teams are relegated to “the slash” (ASU/SYR). You don’t event have to pick Syracuse to win, you just have to pick ASU/SYR to beat TCU, so you get the best of both worlds!! ;)

However, I did a little digging and it seems the play-in at-large teams actually do fairly well. Every year since inception, an at-large first four team went on to win their next game. The best performance from a first four team came from VCU in 2010, making it all the way to the Final Four. There were other decent runs: LaSalle made it to the Sweet 16 as a 13 seed.

All in all there’s hope. I’d love it if this team could pull off a couple wins. It would the cherry on top of a successful season, and build for a great 2018-19 season.

The “First Four” games played in Dayton first started in 2010 when the field expanded to 68 teams. Two of the games are pit the lowest 16 seeds against each other so they can fight who will be the sacrificial lamb for a 1 seed.

The other two games pit the last four at large bids against each other. This is a virtual “bubble play-in” game. Most would think of these games as an afterthought. You don’t even get to partake in becoming an actual team on everyone’s bracket office pool games. Instead the teams are relegated to “the slash” (ASU/SYR). You don’t event have to pick Syracuse to win, you just have to pick ASU/SYR to beat TCU, so you get the best of both worlds!! ;)

However, I did a little digging and it seems the play-in at-large teams actually do fairly well. Every year since inception, an at-large first four team went on to win their next game. The best performance from a first four team came from VCU in 2010, making it all the way to the Final Four. There were other decent runs: LaSalle made it to the Sweet 16 as a 13 seed.

All in all there’s hope. I’d love it if this team could pull off a couple wins. It would the cherry on top of a successful season, and build for a great 2018-19 season.
Dakich giving Cuse's big 3 some love. Talking how they would match up vs Sparty. Not even discussing TCU.

I got no issue with this. I’m a little annoyed at Donna Ditotta for saying they weren’t “really” in.

“Syracuse, perched precariously on the NCAA Tournament bubble, made the field on Selection Sunday. Well, sort of. The Orange will need to play its way in, meeting Arizona State at 9:10 p.m. on Wednesday in Dayton. The winner of the game seizes the 11 seed and goes on to play TCU (and Jamie Dixon) in a Midwest region first-round game in Detroit.”
Syracuse basketball players elated at NCAA Tournament news: 'It's an amazing feeling'

Stop it. The first four counts. You’re on the bracket. You’re in the field.

She’s being snooty because her Bonnies made it for the first time in like 30 years.

I wonder if the success is due in some part to keeping the momentum going, including getting right back to practice, and not having to wait as long to get into a true game situation.

I'd love to play and beat Sparty just so our own fans would shut up about them falling flat on their face in 2016 as an excuse why our Final Four was a fluke.

Yeah that’s such a stupid point. If we had lost the next game to Gonzaga, then maybe they could sorta have a point. But we beat Gonzaga and Virginia after that.

Cuse “fans” who try to diminish a final four run. Lol, friggin Costanzas.

Good post. That's where I am. With such a thin team, I don't expect them to win through the weekend. But if they were to win two and play on Sunday it'd be hard to argue that it's not a nice little season for this group.

I like being in the First Four. Something different for us in an odd year. We obviously don’t want to keep being on the bubble, though.

Yeah, generally those teams don’t do much. I think only USC, Florida Gulf Coast, Tennessee, VCU, Dayton, Wichita St., and La Salle are the only teams to win an additional game after Dayton out of all the particpants since 2011.

If you win that game you're hopefully in rhythm and have already stated off the pressure of elimination once. I've got to think there is a mental edge there.

Plus, it’s likely the easiest game you’re going to see in your bracket that year, assuming a high seed doesn’t get upset (o hai Sparty!) before you play them.

For this year’s team, you couldn’t have drawn it up much better.
I like our chances to win at least 1, maybe 2.
And then... who knows?

Yeah that’s such a stupid point. If we had lost the next game to Gonzaga, then maybe they could sorta have a point. But we beat Gonzaga and Virginia after that.

Cuse “fans” who try to diminish a final four run. Lol, friggin Costanzas.
Serenity now

Plus, it’s likely the easiest game you’re going to see in your bracket that year, assuming a high seed doesn’t get upset (o hai Sparty!) before you play them.

For this year’s team, you couldn’t have drawn it up much better.
I like our chances to win at least 1, maybe 2.
And then... who knows?
I know dixon is the coach but I fear asu more than I do tcu.

I like being in the First Four. Something different for us in an odd year. We obviously don’t want to keep being on the bubble, though.

Yeah, generally those teams don’t do much. I think only USC, Florida Gulf Coast, Tennessee, VCU, Dayton, Wichita St., and La Salle are the only teams to win an additional game after Dayton out of all the particpants since 2011.
Actually that's quite a few teams :)

Streak of 1 First Four team making the round of 32 continues. Glad it was us that did it!

Jamie Dixon made an interesting point in his postgame conference. The 6 seed that gets the First Four 11 may get a more tired opponent but they don't have the advantage of more prep time because they don't know who they'll play. All the other 6 seeds have a week to prepare. You can kind of see why the First Four has always produced an upset.

Jamie Dixon made an interesting point in his postgame conference. The 6 seed that gets the First Four 11 may get a more tired opponent but they don't have the advantage of more prep time because they don't know who they'll play. All the other 6 seeds have a week to prepare. You can kind of see why the First Four has always produced an upset.
I don't feel bad for Jamie. Not one iota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom