First game and a half | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

First game and a half

I realize it's not the point but Wright has had no interest to come back into coaching that I've seen anyway. There have been some serious job opportunities out there... the fact he said no - it would take a big check even if he wanted back. Unless I missed him stating he did.

Yeah - for a guy like that (and he might be the only guy like that) it's basically ransom money.

I don't think there is an aura of impatience among the fanbase right now. Absent that, I can't get onboard with any argument that Red is or will be treated unfairly by fans.

The point about Wright is moot, but if Villanova could afford Wright, Syracuse could afford Wright. He didn't give Nova much/any of a discount for his services. If it did come down to boosters, Syracuse's alumni dwarfs Nova's and Nova isn't exactly a prestigious school with a high proportion of very wealthy alums. Again, this point is moot and not at the crux of the point to be made, but Syracuse has the pockets to get a high-level coach if it wanted to. The NIL stuff would all have to be under the table because the schools are not supposed to be involved in the funding of that. My understanding is that they couldn't put a line a contract that says anything like, 'we're going to guarantee X dollars per year for recruit NIL deals.'

Definitely not impatience in general I agree. There is a small segment that is which was the banter back and forth.

You are underestimating how much Syracuse makes, imo. With inflation factored in, that Villanova salary his last year would be approaching $5.5 million. So it's a $1.5 million jump you're talking about. I think that's comfortably in Syracuse's range.

There's usually the perception that public universities can outspend private universities in these instances but that tends not be to the case.

I just disagree but not the hill I'll die on :)

You are underestimating how much Syracuse makes, imo. With inflation factored in, that Villanova salary his last year would be approaching $5.5 million. So it's a $1.5 million jump you're talking about. I think that's comfortably in Syracuse's range.

There's usually the perception that public universities can outspend private universities in these instances but that tends not be to the case.

So you are hitting on what likely gets into University politics/strategy etc. on how they decide to manage those revenues and spread them across non revenue sports, deploy to direct expenses etc. That gets into a far larger discussion and all the stuff around super conferences etc. In a vacuum your point warrants debate with certainly valid points on either side but as we know it's not in a vacuum so... :)

Right. If we are going to be better somehow more than expected and a solid tourney team it's up to guys we really didn't know enough about to make that happen. It's their year to do so.. or the future will include the kids he's recruited and portal guys who can get it done.

Right now it's up in the air.
I don’t see how the tournament happens without a few ooc victories. The ACC is awful and I’m not sure we’re ready for the ooc.

Pitino took jobs where they were already running a similar system to what he runs. Iona played a pressing defense before him and then the same coming to St Johns. It's far less of a transition than it would be coming to SU where you have Red attempting to deploy a mtm system that has yet to showcase the more aggressive elements. Pitino is a great coach I agree but he's also racing the clock with father time. I don't doubt for a second he took the last two jobs knowing the transition would be far less drastic than trying to build it from scratch again
Totally disagree. Most of the St John’s roster has been completely overhauled from last year outside of Soriano. And Mike Anderson’s 40 minutes of hell pressing-all-game-long style is not the same as the pressure defense that Pitino runs or the press that he employs. Pitino shifts his system based on the personnel.

Nah the large majority is on board and supportive and gets this takes time and nothing is guaranteed. Some just can't get their expectations not being met immediately. It's far from an SU fan thing or sports in general. Those certain folks tend to be the most vocal and persistent demanding their point be heard.

Also not always but sometimes those most critical and impatient support the program the least too. Entitlement etc etc or whatever we want to call it.
You’re right. It’s more of expectations. Not negativity. That’s what I was looking to say.

Gonna be honest my first thoughts about this team and coaching:
Sloppy, undisciplined, unfocused, too much 1v1 on offense, defense leaves a lot to be desired and no energy.

We better fix a lot of this before Maui or we are gonna get smacked around. Judah is playing with no energy or hustle. It’s weird.

Much of the Defense our guys are just getting blown by and it doesn’t look like guys know where to be and where to slide.

Our offense there is no rhythm or flow. It’s just a lot of standing around, and 1v1.

Autry has a lot to work on with these guys. There’s a lot of talent here, he’s gotta put it together
Yeah, this is accurate. Looked good on paper, but not looking good.

I'm trying to understand the offensive flow... they form up around the arc and someone Chucks a difficult 3 w 20 seconds on the clock, or someone drives and takes a difficult shot w 15 seconds left on the clock.

Getting blown by on D

Soft on rebounds

Cuffe constantly getting pulled

Mintz & Starling, hoping to see what this becomes

It's early yet and Autry has taken over for our forever coach when the program had degraded, so give him time, but I am struggling to see what they are even trying to do

Yeah, this is accurate. Looked good on paper, but not looking good.

I'm trying to understand the offensive flow... they form up around the arc and someone Chucks a difficult 3 w 20 seconds on the clock, or someone drives and takes a difficult shot w 15 seconds left on the clock.

Getting blown by on D

Soft on rebounds

Cuffe constantly getting pulled

Mintz & Starling, hoping to see what this becomes

It's early yet and Autry has taken over for our forever coach when the program had degraded, so give him time, but I am struggling to see what they are even trying to do
Win

Judah isn’t fighting over the screens and we also have no real forwards to help tag the roller at the moment. Youre expecting JT and Chris Bell to defend one on one with the roller on the help. Hopefully Benny will be better.
I’ve seen a lot of switching on screens instead of fighting over them. But it has led to confusion at times. Hoping they improve soon at whatever they are trying to do.

Never understood the hate on Girard when he was our top scorer and playmaker. I miss his flare
Never understood the hate on Girard when he was our top scorer and playmaker. I miss his flare
Best shooter yes. Not best playmaker, nor defender, rebounder etc. Nobody hated on him, but most felt he should be a 6 or 7 man and come off the bench for instant offense, or to bust a zone.

It’s early in the season . We are undefeated. We will get better.. Can we enjoy watching the team grow?
Don't let my (& others) commenting on things one can plainly see detract from your viewing experience. Just ignore the posts that you don't like.

I hope to see the teams identity, & soon. It's not evident on O or D. Might be more difficult than expected to unlearn some of our zone habits.

Don't let my (& others) commenting on things one can plainly see detract from your viewing experience. Just ignore the posts that you don't like.

I hope to see the teams identity, & soon. It's not evident on O or D. Might be more difficult than expected to unlearn some of our zone habits.
Allen knows how to teach man to man. They had a great defense when he was at Dayton..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom