First SU Beats Duke at Cameron, Now Wegman's Is Taking Over NC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

First SU Beats Duke at Cameron, Now Wegman's Is Taking Over NC

I'm not obsessed but once you live near a Wegman's for a bunch of years and then move away you do find you miss it. It's head and shoulders better than anything else. Not cheaper, but better.
Subs - mmmm

Wegmans is obviously a very nice grocery store, but I kind of find people's obsession with it a bit much.

I think it's hysterical personally.

I think it's hysterical personally.
There's something to it. Price Chopper doesn't engender obsessions.

Funny - I grew up in Rochester, before Wegman's became 'World Class'. They weren't anything special. We used to call it Wegmo's.

There is a Wegmans coming to Brooklyn but it's somewhere in the Navy Yards which I, a native, have no idea how to get to. Subway to bus to trudging on foot I guess. I can probably get a friend to drive there but I have no idea what the parking situation will be like.

What's crazy is the people that are obsessed with Trader Joe's. There are a million more reasons to be obsessed with Wegman's than with Trader Joe's.
There are several Trader Joes in Manhattan and one is set to open in the fall four and a half blocks from me. It's gonna be a hell of a lot easier to get to than the Brooklyn Navy Yards for Wegmans.

Yeah, I don't get the whole Trader Joe's thing
They have some nice frozen meals that are different and tasty, but it's not a regular grocery store - which you will still need to go to.

Wegmans is obviously a very nice grocery store, but I kind of find people's obsession with it a bit much.
Agreed. Go to the one in Cicero when they are literally out of everything a normal person wants to buy and you wont feel the same about Wegmans. Im convinced it is the most poorly run store in their system.

I'm not obsessed but once you live near a Wegman's for a bunch of years and then move away you do find you miss it. It's head and shoulders better than anything else. Not cheaper, but better.

Ehhh, I lived in CNY for 25 years before I moved to South Florida which had Publix which I enjoyed just as much as Wegmans. I moved back to Syracuse 7 years later and found myself missing Publix. Now I'm in Las Vegas and realized how little I cared about the type and kind of grocery store I went into as long as it had the food I wanted which pretty much all of them do.

Publix is a fine store. Best grocery in my area. However, it is a second cousin to Wegmans. I also agree with the folks who die to go to Trader Joes. Why?

For what it's worth, Consumer Report has rated Wegmans the #1 grocer in the USA for several years.

Publix is a fine store. Best grocery in my area. However, it is a second cousin to Wegmans. I also agree with the folks who die to go to Trader Joes. Why?

For what it's worth, Consumer Report has rated Wegmans the #1 grocer in the USA for several years.
Yeah, I go to FL each year to visit the in-laws, and we always go to Publix. Someone earlier in this thread was putting them down, but I wish we had one where I live. Love it.

A 'very nice grocery store'?!?!:rolling:

That's like saying Vanessa Williams was "cute." Those of us with a Rochester background refer to it as "The Wegmans Experience." Walking into the Pittsford Motherstore is enough to give a Russian grandmother a heart attack! I haven't seen that much food in one place since the Sermon on the Mount. Where else can you walk in for a gallon of milk and walk out with a picnic table? And Weggies always rates first in Consumer Reports surveys. QED-VBOF

If you ever need to distract someone from Rochester (say you're in a meeting and are bored) just mention you don't see the big deal about Wegman's and that meeting will never get back on track. It's really quite fun.

If you ever need to distract someone from Rochester (say you're in a meeting and are bored) just mention you don't see the big deal about Wegman's and that meeting will never get back on track. It's really quite fun.

Then if you really want to get them flustered, tell them Garbage Plates are disgusting.

A 'very nice grocery store'?!?!:rolling:

That's like saying Vanessa Williams was "cute." Those of us with a Rochester background refer to it as "The Wegmans Experience." Walking into the Pittsford Motherstore is enough to give a Russian grandmother a heart attack! I haven't seen that much food in one place since the Sermon on the Mount. Where else can you walk in for a gallon of milk and walk out with a picnic table? And Weggies always rates first in Consumer Reports surveys. QED-VBOF
th

I live within 10 miles of the proposed Wegmans in Cary and my wife is very excited. We lived near the Dewitt store 15 years ago and she still talks about how nice that store was.

They are also building a new Publix store within walking distance to my house. I suspect Food Lion (ACC sponsor) will be the first chain to be run out, followed by Kroger. I think Harris Teeter will survive.

I looked on Wegmans website to find the kind of things I like to buy and was not especially impressed. But that's because I'm a vegetarian and on my good days a vegan so the things I get are pretty specific, and not the things Wegmans is likely known for. I'd probably check it out once with my friend with the car anyway but it'll be so inconvenient and stores in walking distance have most of the same items I want plus others that it would be unlikely I'd go back unless the prices were extraordinarily low too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom