Fitting end to the game | Syracusefan.com

Fitting end to the game

That was excruciating. And was watching in court on my laptop and the connection got fuzzy and looked like it was in for a split second. Just awful that G didn't have the chance to take that.

That was excruciating. And was watching in court on my laptop and the connection got fuzzy and looked like it was in for a split second. Just awful that G didn't have the chance to take that.

i would've preferred G take the shot blindfolded and backwards from half court. You just knew when Cooney checked into the game he'd take the shot. I did my best to will it in but Cooney being a hero was just not meant to be. I'm just glad that last year and this year are finally over.

As stated -- fitting end to the game. As soon as Cooney got the inbounds pass I knew it was game over. Why didn't Boeheim have Cooney, or Roberson, inbound the ball? I would have preferred Richardson going the length of the court over Cooney. Oh, well. We do not deserve to be in the NCAA tournament after losing 5 of 6 but I'm still hoping.

Once Cooney caught the inbounds pass I knew the ball would disappear into the vortex. Selfish hero ball

Really? I highly doubt it was that. Kid took a shot, missed. I didn't see a ton of options and I'm not a Cooney apologist. In fact I went mid evil igor two years on Cooney and was stoned for it. He's just not a great ball player and an average shooter who keeps getting worse because his form keeps getting worse. I don't think Trevor is selfish though but he is JB's pet for sure. Sit ubu sit.

Square up Trevor! No legs but JB keeps running him out there like some ultra marathoner

I watched the replay, and as trying to figure out who was "in the wrong spot/not in position". All I can figure is Richardson, who was inexplicably drifting around well beyond the 3 pt arc. Or maybe he was supposed to draw his defender away from the basket to allow Gbinje to drive the lane? Just hard to tell what we were trying to do there.

I would have rather seen Gbinje take it to the hoop where 3 of the 4 options are all good: (a) make the shot (b) miss and Roberson or Lydon have a chance for a put-back (c) get fouled with a chance to tie or win at the FT line, or (d) miss/get blocked. Cooney's shot is hit or miss for the W, and the odds are no better than 30-40%. I guess it was an improvisation under the circumstances.

just stick a fork in this brief few year era and let's move on to next year with new blood.
When my wife got home from work, and I told her "not good" and her first question was "How did Cooney play?". I think she is ready to move on to the next era.

I watched the replay, and as trying to figure out who was "in the wrong spot/not in position". All I can figure is Richardson, who was inexplicably drifting around well beyond the 3 pt arc. Or maybe he was supposed to draw his defender away from the basket to allow Gbinje to drive the lane? Just hard to tell what we were trying to do there.

I would have rather seen Gbinje take it to the hoop where 3 of the 4 options are all good: (a) make the shot (b) miss and Roberson or Lydon have a chance for a put-back (c) get fouled with a chance to tie or win at the FT line, or (d) miss/get blocked. Cooney's shot is hit or miss for the W, and the odds are no better than 30-40%. I guess it was an improvisation under the circumstances.

If we wanted cooney to get the ball and drive up, you have Lydon and roberson both setting a screen for G around half court. If pitt is smart they keep a guy back. Honestly their defense was really bad on that play outside of stopping g, but I'm hesitant to even call that good because we actually didn't run anything to even try to open it up. The second cooney gets the rock g should be trying to run his guy off roberson and Lydon while richardson at least follows cooney.

Threads like this put sports in perceptive for me. I felt similar in frustration and have expressed my frustration on the subject previously that today I was numb when we lost.

When the Red Sox lost Game 7 in 2003 it was a similar feeling. I just didn't care. I am ready for a new Era and thank the team for playing hard this year.

I can't blame Cooney here, got a good look just missed it.

However when JAB put him in what else is he to do if not shoot a three? That's what he is, he's a senior, the gleem in Jimmy's eye and you sort of sink or swim with Trevor or Mike there. I assume it was simple, "get it to Mike but if they double him then Trevor take it and go."

When my wife got home from work, and I told her "not good" and her first question was "How did Cooney play?". I think she is ready to move on to the next era.
Is your a wife a diehard? novice? just a supporter? I ask because my GF knows nothing about college basketball, she follows MLB/NFL/CFB and however she knows enough when she asked about the game today said I hope Cooney played good. She knows no other SU players by name except Christmas (becuz of his last name).
I told her Cooney missed the shot at the buzzer that would have won the game after sitting during a comeback and she did this.

Is your a wife a diehard? novice? just a supporter? I ask because my GF knows nothing about college basketball, she follows MLB/NFL/CFB and however she knows enough when she asked about the game today said I hope Cooney played good. She knows no other SU players by name except Christmas (becuz of his last name).
I told her Cooney missed the shot at the buzzer that would have won the game after sitting during a comeback and she did this.
We have season tickets so she knows the ebbs and flows of each player. She comes from a basketball family and has been going to games since she was a kid and we actually met at a basketball game. I wouldn't call her a diehard but she knows all the players.

The more I watch, heck even think about, that last play the more annoyed I get. We literally did not do anything.

Just so bummed out. The last month has been draining, honestly. Just one win. Nada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom