For a team that finished 3-9... | Syracusefan.com

For a team that finished 3-9...

He recruiting has been stronger than I would think.

It has me encouraged.

If we could ever figure out how to field a decent / respectable offense, we'd be an 8-9 win team every year. This staff has defense / recruiting both operating at a high level. This staff is definitely improving the talent base.

Need to score some @#$ points...

RF2044 said:
If we could ever figure out how to field a decent / respectable offense, we'd be an 8-9 win team every year. This staff has defense / recruiting both operating at a high level. This staff is definitely improving the talent base. Need to score some @#$ points...

IPF should help some... Optimism.

Having Steve, Ashton, Brisly, Jamal, Adly, Trey, Josh as receiving options, will be better then the cast of characters we had last year. Also Ben as a good possession receiver. Within that group, you have size, speed, blocking ability, to give the offensive side many options, including running the ball.

Having Steve, Ashton, Brisly, Jamal, Adly, Trey, Josh as receiving options, will be better then the cast of characters we had last year. Also Ben as a good possession receiver. Within that group, you have size, speed, blocking ability, to give the offensive side many options, including running the ball.
George Morris needs to realize his potential this year. We've seen it in spurts

If we could ever figure out how to field a decent / respectable offense, we'd be an 8-9 win team every year. This staff has defense / recruiting both operating at a high level. This staff is definitely improving the talent base.

Need to score some @#$ points...
It starts with getting Hunt back, and most of the starting OL... And the WRs... It ain't rocket science. The team will just be better next year due to having players able to play.

It starts with getting Hunt back, and most of the starting OL... And the WRs... It ain't rocket science. The team will just be better next year due to having players able to play.

Agree about the solid recruiting -- the class is not spectacular on the offensive side, but you have to have linemen and DEs, and it is great to see a little improvement in results within that key 6 hour driving radius.

The offense could be better next year with Hunt back -- if we can develop a L-OT and if one of the RBs develops. It is not a lot to ask. But the defense will be young, scary young, with inexperience and questions in many spots in the back 7. Won't be easy to play at the same level on defense, losing 8 starters, many of whom were multiple year starters. So, that offense will need to be dynamic. Might happen.

Agree that those things will help.

But there are larger, systemic issues impairing our productivity on offense. Foundational issues that are holding us back.

The ability to sell early playing time probably doesn't hurt recruiting. It's not just skill positions either as there will be opportunities for Fr. to make the 2-deep on both lines.

Agree that those things will help.

But there are larger, systemic issues impairing our productivity on offense. Foundational issues that are holding us back.
It's impossible to say that based on the OC's performance being thrown into the mix midway through the season. If it looks like crap towards the end of next year, I'll be agreeing with you.

Amazing how our offense is just going to improve, just because. We had decent players last year, we'll have decent players next year. That's not the issue.

Amazing how our offense is just going to improve, just because. We had decent players last year, we'll have decent players next year. That's not the issue.
There's a reason people like PTG, and West were never the number 1 option until last year, because they weren't good enough. They were both Good people , but their talent was average at best, and PTG put us in way too many 2nd and long situations.

I don't get the love some have for George. He had one spurt run of 30+ (the only run he had of more than 10 yards, iirc). McFarlane had an 86 yard run.

Erv Philips is the only returning runner I think has a chance of even being halfway decent. But as a group overall, I think our RBs are more pathetic than our QBs and WRs.

Hope they prove me wrong next year.

Cheers,
Neil

One more year of Hunt air mailing his WR's by 10 yards unfortunately, and then we can look forward to the Edouard era. He is the future. Get ready for it...

It's not like those guys were burning it up when they were healthy.

I'm still holding out hope for George. I admit I can't really justify it after this past year but the year before, I thought he showed something.

I don't get the love some have for George. He had one spurt run of 30+ (the only run he had of more than 10 yards, iirc). McFarlane had an 86 yard run.

Erv Philips is the only returning runner I think has a chance of even being halfway decent. But as a group overall, I think our RBs are more pathetic than our QBs and WRs.

Hope they prove me wrong next year.

Cheers,
Neil
I would look at the season prior to this last one. He looked much better and got more carries.

Not trying to nitpick, but I have no idea why we didn't target a WR this cycle? We can't feel confident with what we are returning can we? Let's recap who we are losing:

Jarrod West - Best receiver
Kobena
Hale
Flemming
KJ
Cooper

Those were all wide receivers who we thought were going to be on the 2014 roster.

Then you have Custis, and Enoicy, who some have pegged for TE. I know Custis was taking reps with the TE's the 2nd part of the season. I don't know why they would move a true Freshman to TE (while Lester was OC) if they didn't plan on using him there in 2015. Enoicy is a big man, but I am guessing he will be at WR.

Anyways that's 7 receivers we aren't going to have next year that we planned on having this past season. It's not like the guys we had were setting the world on fire either. Broyld, Estime, and even Lewis to an extent have proved to be injury risks throughout their careers. I guess Lester's offense won't call for as many 4 receiver sets so not as many are needed, but I still think we are cutting ourselves short. I am all for less subbing, and playing the best wr's the majority of the snaps so hopefully we go that route. Ish needs to be on the field for as many snaps as he can handle, but after him, Estime, Broyld, Lewis, and possibly Enoicy who else is there? I thought Erv would have been a perfect fit for the slot position in McDonald's offense, but it doesn't look like he would fit into Lester's as a WR.

Am I missing something?

Not trying to nitpick, but I have no idea why we didn't target a WR this cycle? We can't feel confident with what we are returning can we? Let's recap who we are losing:

Kobena
Hale
Flemming
KJ
Cooper

Those were all wide receivers who we thought were going to be on the 2014 roster.

Then you have Custis, and Enoicy, who some have pegged for TE. I know Custis was taking reps with the TE's the 2nd part of the season. I don't know why they would move a true Freshman to TE (while Lester was OC) if they didn't plan on using him there in 2015. Enoicy is a big man, but I am guessing he will be at WR.

Anyways that's 7 receivers we aren't going to have next year that we planned on having this past season. It's not like the guys we had were setting the world on fire either. Broyld, Estime, and even Lewis to an extent have proved to be injury risks throughout their careers. I guess Lester's offense won't call for as many 4 receiver sets so not as many are needed, but I still think we are cutting ourselves short. I am all for less subbing, and playing the best wr's the majority of the snaps so hopefully we go that route. Ish needs to be on the field for as many snaps as he can handle, but after him, Estime, Broyld, Lewis, and possibly Enoicy who else is there? I thought Erv would have been a perfect fit for the slot position in McDonald's offense, but it doesn't look like he would fit into Lester's as a WR.

Am I missing something?
I was just going to say the same thing this class is too defensive heavy with glaring needs on offense. Lets be fair even when everyone was healthy the offense was not very good. After losing 2 WR from last years class I thought they would've addressed this problem. Traditional defense oriented teams like Alabama have changed to more of an offensive team, defense is nice but its all about offense in the game now.

Last edited:

Kobena
Hale
Flemming
KJ
Cooper

Am I missing something?

You're kidding right? That entire list was addition by subtraction. Sure, West had a great sophomore year and decent senior year but he is not an irreplaceable loss.

Don't sleep on Sean Avant either. A healthy offseason should allow him to push Estime in the slot. I see a solid 8 contributors with "contributor being the key word. Your list above had 1 contributor.

Jamesvillecuse said:
I was just going to say the same thing this class is too defensive heavy with glaring needs on offense. Lets be fair even when everyone was healthy the offense not very good. After losing 2 WR from last class I would of thought they would address this problem. Traditional defense oriented teams like Alabama have changed to more of an offensive team, defense is nice but its all about offense in the game now.

What glaring needs?

TE: Dunk
RB: Strickland, Fredrickson, Perkins
and lots of linemen
QB: Dungey, Alin E.

I'm with Amomander on wishing we had a WR coming in - but I think we are fine there.

There's a reason people like PTG, and West were never the number 1 option until last year, because they weren't good enough. They were both Good people , but their talent was average at best, and PTG put us in way too many 2nd and long situations.

Average at best? Guess I don't understand "average". West is 5th in SU history for receptions and finished 7th in receiving yards... ahead of Art Monk, Quinton Spotwood, and Rob Carpenter.

PTG avg 4.8 rushing yards per carry this season and 5.1 yards for his career. Do you have stats supporting that his 1st down carries resulted in 2nd and long situations? Even his receiving yards per play is 5.1 and that's in an offense that throws screens behind the LOS with 1 blocker and 3 defenders.

I would look at the season prior to this last one. He looked much better and got more carries.

You mean the year where Jerome Smith was pounding it and defenses probably were relieved when we sent someone else in other than PTG? The year that McFarlane ran for like 50 yards less than Morris, but on 31 less carries?

Again, I hope all of our RBs prove me wrong next year, but I don't have much faith in any of them at this point in time.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom