Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
107384.gif

Welcome to St Patrick's Day!

Saint Patrick's Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick (Irish: Lá Fhéile Pádraig, "the Day of the Festival of Patrick"), is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick(c. AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland.

Saint Patrick's Day was made an official Christian feast day in the early 17th century and is observed by theCatholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland),[4] the Eastern Orthodox Church, and Lutheran Church. The day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland,[3] and celebrates the heritage and culture of the Irish in general.[5] Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, céilithe, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks.[6] Christians also attend church services[5][7]and the Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol are lifted for the day, which has encouraged and propagated the holiday's tradition of alcohol consumption.

SU News

w320-c2ba6ebae3497c1982ca93280450713e.jpg

Carter Blackburn Excited to Get Full Dose of NCAA Tournament (newsok.com; Bracht)

One of the reasons Carter Blackburn, 36, jumped to the CBS Sports Network in August 2014 to become its primary play-by-play announcer was for the opportunity to cover the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Blackburn, a 2001 Syracuse University graduate, had a brief taste of the tournament in 2008 and 2009 doing two games each year, but he is getting a major dose this year calling eight games in five days — two games from the First Four on Wednesday night and six games from the Oklahoma City regional on Friday and Saturday. He is working with analyst Mike Gminski, a former Duke and NBA center, and courtside reporter Jaime Maggio. Blackburn discussed his role in a phone conversation.

Q: Are you excited about getting an opportunity to call the tournament?

A: "The chance to do March Madness and be one of the eight play-by-play guys who gets to do March Madness on TV is a special group, and I have to say one of the things that makes it cool is among the first people who were reaching out and congratulating me were my colleagues. In 2008 and 2009, I did two games of the tournament. I was kind of the opening act for Dick Enberg. I would do the first two games of the tournament and then Dick Enberg and Jay Bilas did the rest of the tournament together. Then I was in the ESPN world for five years. This will be my first full tournament run."

GettyImages-367906.jpg

No Orange for Flyers Assistant, Former Syracuse Standout (mydaytondailynews.com; Archdeacon)

Before the two teams last met – in an NCAA Tournament Round of 32 game two years ago the Dayton Flyers won – Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim took special aim at one particular UD coach.

“You mean when he said something about me (wearing) orange underwear?” Flyers assistant Allen Griffin asked with a laugh.

Boeheim’s exact words were: “I know some place on him he’s got something orange. It’s not going to be in view, but his heart will be (orange) for sure.”

Griffin played 133 games for Syracuse, went to four straight NCAA Tournaments, started two years and was the team captain as a senior.

Later, he returned to the program for two seasons as an administrative assistant and over the years his ‘Cuse connections helped him get three other coaching jobs. That includes his current position at UD after Boeheim made a special call to Archie Miller back in 2011.

Other

19953601-mmmain.jpg

Ex OCC Basketball Coach: I was Fired After Refusing to Recruit Based on Race (PS; O'Brien)

Onondaga Community College administrators told their men's basketball coach early last year they were concerned he didn't have enough minorities on his teams.

The coach, David Pasiak, showed them proof that his teams have been more diverse than OCC's general population, the county's population, and other teams at the two-year school.

Pasiak told them he would evaluate his players based on their ability, academics and character, not on their race, he said in a document his lawyer filed with Onondaga County last month.

By the end of the year, Pasiak was fired.

He filed a notice of claim with the county last month, preserving his right to sue the county, OCC and its administrators for defamation.

glad he is suing the politically correct idiots.

107384.gif

Welcome to St Patrick's Day!

Saint Patrick's Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick (Irish: Lá Fhéile Pádraig, "the Day of the Festival of Patrick"), is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick(c. AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland.

Saint Patrick's Day was made an official Christian feast day in the early 17th century and is observed by theCatholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland),[4] the Eastern Orthodox Church, and Lutheran Church. The day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland,[3] and celebrates the heritage and culture of the Irish in general.[5] Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, céilithe, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks.[6] Christians also attend church services[5][7]and the Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol are lifted for the day, which has encouraged and propagated the holiday's tradition of alcohol consumption.

What do Irish people have in their backyards?
Patty O'Furniture

glitter-shamrock-source_d3z.gif

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Syracuse's Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney, the team's two seniors, will be in the NCAA interview room at 12:20.

Asked about 2013 Final Four, Gbinije recalls practices being at high intensity. Cooney recalls late rough patch and sticking together.

Asked about '14 NCAA game vs. Dayton: Gbinije talks about attacking the basket. Cooney says they're a good defensive team. Movement a key

Gbinije said he texted Rakeem Christmas yesterday. "No basketball related. He just wished us luck''

Asked about Selection Sunday and concern. Cooney said I thought we'd get the play-in game. "A big relief to be a part of.''

About Boeheim's suspension. Gbinije said "he's a competitor.'' "A learning experience for us.''

On SU's zone: Cooney says "Movement on defense is a big thing.''

On how missing NCAAs last year impacted Boeheim: Gbinije says "He got better. Watched other teams.'' Cooney: "It was really tough for him.''

And the press conference with Cooney and Gbinije comes to an end. Boeheim should be in at 12:35.

Last edited:
Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Jim Boeheim opens press conference: "We're happy to be here. This team has worked very hard this year.''

Boeheim says he has tremendous respect for Dayton. They won one of the toughest conferences in the country.

Boeheim on saying this was happiest Selection Sunday for him. He says 31 times SU got in and this was first time making it when on bubble.

Boeheim on 0-4 ACC start. "You had to go to Pitt and Miami and play North Carolina to start.''

Boeheim on suspenion. "I learned it's not fun to sit at home for 32 days w/out a plan. Lesson for retirement. Have a plan.''

Boeheim on suspension: "You sit and watch the games. No one really wanted to watch them with him.''

Boeheim on playing zone in NCAA tourney: "If your defense is good, it helps you. But everybody sees zone now.''

Boeheim says the zone is a bigger difference in the early season tournaments. Teams haven't seen much zone early on.

Boeheim on last year's post-season ban: "It was right call (but not for reason of getting into NCAAs this year). We had great wins last year

Boeheim mentions that SU's record when it announced the ban (14-7) was a better mark than Cuse had this year through 21 games.

Boeheim said one reason to take the ban last year was "there were only two months left. Only one senior who had been to 3 NCAAs already.''

Boeheim on NCAA ban last year: "Because it turned ut that we didn't play great at end of year; it wasn't a killer.''

Boeheim on Frank Howard's development: "Good question. Next question.'' He laughs. "Some development.''

Boeheim on former SU player/Dayton assistant Allen Griffin. "He wants Dayton to win, but there's a little bit of Orange there.''

Boeheim on suspension's impact on Mike Hopkins: "A tremendous benefit.''

Boeheim: Hop's run as coach was a tremendous benefit to him. The two-day window to prep for Georgetown didn't give him time to prep.

Boeheim said Hopkins didn't do anything wrong, but team just couldn't adjust.

Boeheim on Hop: "He's going to be a better coach than me someday, but not in that situation.''

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom