Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Eight-Track-Tape-Day-April-11-1024x512.jpg

Welcome to Eight-Track Tape Day!

Observed each year on April 11 is National Eight Track Tape Day. This is a day to remember listening to great music of the sixties and seventies on eight-track tapes.

Popular from the mid-1960s through the early 1980s, eight track tapes are a magnetic tape sound recording technology.

Eight track tape, also called Stereo 8, was created in 1964 by Bill Lear of Lear Jet Corporation along with Ampex, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Motorola and RCA Victor Records and released in 1965.

It was in September of 1965 that Ford Motor Company introduced factory installed and dealer installed eight track tape players as an option to buyers on three of its 1966 models, the Thunderbird, Mustang and Lincoln. All of the Ford’s vehicles offered this tape player upgrade option on the 1967 model. Through the 1980s optional eight track players were available in many cars and trucks.

Eight track cartridges were phased out in the retail stores in the United States by late 1982. Some titles were still available as eight track tapes through various mail order clubs until late 1988.

Many of the late period eight track tape releases are highly collectible today.

SU News

lydon_unc-300x300.jpg

Syracuse Delivered This Season Unlike Any Other Team (the juice; Marcus)

Let’s start with a quote a wise person I know once wrote:

“If SU’s past tells us anything, it doesn’t matter what happened in the regular season, you just have to get into the tournament. All that matters is the scoreboard going forward.”

Now, I don’t normally quote myselfunless I’m spot on.

That was a quote from my column last month, right before the start of the NCAA tournament, when I wrote about Syracuse basketball’s unpredictability.

I alluded to the 2012-2013 team, which had a solid but unspectacular regular season before making a run to the Final Four, and said we don’t know how we’ll feel about a team until the season ends.

Like that team, this year’s iteration had an unspectacular regular season. But while the team of three years ago comfortably made the tourney, this year’s squad did just enough to get into the NCAA tournament as a 10-seed, where, for lack of a better term, they turned IT UP. Way up.

default.webp

SU Run Inspires Video (fltimes.com; Hibbard)

Like many Syracuse University basketball fans, Chris Macri was elated — and surprised — by the team’s Final Four run in the NCAA tournament.

He was so inspired by the team’s success, in fact, that he created a hip-hop video that has generated more than 10,000 views on various websites.

Macri, a music recording technology student at Finger Lakes Community College, put together “Ballin on ‘Em” before the Orange’s appearance in the Final Four last weekend. It went online before SU lost to North Carolina, but has remained popular despite the loss.

“I’m a huge SU fan and my father used to take me to the games when I was a kid,” said Macri, who grew up in the Syracuse-area community of Liverpool. “It was super rushed, but I think it turned out well.”

Macri, who also goes by “Chris Mac,” has a liberal arts degree from Onondaga Community College and hoped to attend SU to study music recording technology. When that didn’t pan out, he turned to FLCC and is in his first semester.

The video, which includes action clips from SU games, was also shot near the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center. Other scenes were the quad at Syracuse University and Chuck’s, a popular bar on Marshall Street near the campus.

Other

mexico-cityjpg-2890f89e9e2c19c2.jpg

Being Breanna's Parents: Skittles, Santa, Shoes and the Basketball Journey of a Lifetime (PS; Webb)

The two-day respite between the NCAA Regional and Final Four offers a fleeting moment to breathe. There is, however, no rest. Heather and Brian Stewart squeeze in a couple of days of work at Upstate University Hospital jobs, then returned to their home in North Syracuse for a blur of errands. That is, until basketball breaks out.

On a spectacular early evening when temperatures climb into the 70s, Conor Stewart is working on a two-handed reverse jam on the basketball goal in his family driveway. The goal is lowered several feet to allow Conor access above the rim. The opportunity is too alluring for Brian, who finishes a job sweeping the garage and is soon dunking way with his 14-year-old son. Heather asks if anyone needs her alley-oop feeds from the front porch. The family moment is filled with joy and routine, all worked into the window of March Madness.

The next day, the Stewarts are off to Indianapolis for the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship. There, Heather and Brian Stewart celebrated what might be the pinnacle of their daughter's basketball career. Their daughter is Breanna Stewart, perhaps the most decorated and recognized women's player on the planet. The former Cicero-North Syracuse High School star is a senior for the University of Connecticut, a team that won an unprecedented fourth straight women's national championship.

Her legacy is off the charts.

I hadn't seen this figure before:

The league best positioned to rule the Basketball Fund is the 15-team ACC. Thanks to placing four teams in the Sweet 16 [should read elite 8] (North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia) and two in the Final Four, the ACC established a record with 25 units this year. Those units, over a six-year payout period, are worth nearly $40 million.