Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Chinese%20language.jpg

Welcome to UN Chinese Language Day!

UN Chinese Language Day is observed annually on April 20.[1] The event was established by the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)[not in citation given]in 2010 to seeking "to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six of its official working languages throughout the organization". April 20 was chosen as the date for theChinese language "to pay tribute to Cang Jie, a mythical figure who is presumed to have invented Chinese characters about 5,000 years ago".[2]

SU News

-637a84cbc0421d03.JPG

Spike Albrecht Considering Purdue, Witchita State, Indiana, Syracuse and Others (mlive.com; Quinn)

Spike Albrecht's options are abundant.

According to a report from ESPN's Jeff Goodman, the Michigan graduate transfer is looking at Purdue, Wichita State, Indiana, Texas A&M, Syracuse, USC and Milwaukee as potential destinations for his final season of collegiate eligibility.

That list includes plenty of close ties for Albrecht, most notably the option of remaining in the Big Ten and playing in his home state at Indiana or Purdue. Albrecht, a Crown Point, Ind., native, is free to transfer within the conference after having scholarship restrictions lifted by Michigan coach John Beilein. He'd still have to file for a waiver from the league office.

Albrecht is also considering Milwaukee, where former Beilein assistant coach LaVall Jordan was recently introduced as head coach.

Albrecht averaged 1.7 points and 1.2 assists last season before lingering pain forced him to shut down his senior season. His season was derailed by a prolonged recovery from offseason hip surgery a year ago.

dionsmiles-300x234.jpg

SU Basketball Largely Missing From NBA Playoffs (the juice; Goodman)

Last year I wrote a lengthy and well-researched (if I say so myself) column about the yearly absence of Syracuse Alumni in the NBA Playoffs. I was optimistic that the ‘Cuse representation would trend upward in the following seasons.

I was wrong.

I know, I am as shocked as you. But, despite talent like Carmelo Anthony and Michael Carter-Williams leading teams in the weak Eastern Conference, and players like Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant, Chris McCullough, and Rakeem Christmas floating around the NBA, there are only two former Orange ballers in this year’s playoffs, both playing in the Western Conference.

Wesley Johnson is getting his first taste of playoff action in his sixth professional season, his first as a member of the Los Angeles Clippers. In his first game he logged nine minutes and scored just three points, grabbed two boards, and dished out one assist.

Other

04-19-from-upstate-nyjpg-8dde7f0c2ed29c8b.jpg

You Know You're From Upstate New York When... (photogallery; newyorkupstate.com; Lassman)

You think Wegman's is God's gift to Upstate New York

Some parts of Upstate New York are Price Chopper or Tops country, but there's no denying that Wegmans is the crown jewel of Upstate New York supermarkets. People who move away might not miss the harsh winters, but they do miss Wegmans.

Check out the dramatic readings of syracuse.com weather comments (9 of 39)

Mike Waters ‏@MikeWatersSYR
Jim Boeheim is addressing media. He's obviously emotional.

Boeheim on Pearl's passing. "It's tough to lose him so soon."

Boeheim said he knew this day was coming but it doesn't make it easier.

Boeheim: "We were lucky to have him, lucky to coach him... People came (to the Dome) because they wanted to see Pearl Washington play."

Boeheim on Pearl's impact. "He was the only guy who could fill the Dome."

Boeheim first saw Pearl in Wheelchair classic. 9 pm game and people were there at 4.

Boeheim was so emotional. "He was one of a kind." And then walks away. Reporters all quiet for a minute.

Last edited: