Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
bluefinpanda.jpg

Welcome to World Tuna Day!

In 2011, the eight Pacific Island countries that comprise much of the world's tuna fishing waters declared May 2 to be World Tuna Day. Today marks the very first—a time for global celebration of these amazing fish and a reminder of the need to conserve them.

From the gigantic, warm-blooded, 1,500-pound (680-kilogram) Atlantic bluefin to the smallest skipjack, the label “tuna” actually includes more than 20 species that range from the tropics to the frigid waters of the Arctic and the Southern Ocean.

World Tuna Day recognizes the critical role these fish play in marine ecosystems. They support some of the world's largest and most valuable fisheries, as well as many people who rely on them for their livelihoods.

SU News

GillonSyracuseTransfer.jpg

Syracuse Picks Up PG Tranfer Who Could Become Starter (cbssports.com; Vecenie)

With Syracuse losing Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney to graduation, Kaleb Joseph to transfer, and potentially Malachi Richardson to the NBA Draft, the Orange needed to go out and shore up its backcourt for next season.

On Sunday, Jim Boeheim and the Orange took a step in the right direction.

Colorado State grad transfer John Gillon announced on Twitter that he will head to Syracuse for his final season of eligibility in 2016-17.

Guess I bleed orange now #cusenation pic.twitter.com/F6EvC50nJN

— John Gillon (@John_Gillon1) May 1, 2016
Gillon averaged 13.2 points and 3.9 assists per game last season for Larry Eustachy and the Rams. The 6-foot point guard had also been considering Texas A&M, who loses Alex Caruso and Anthony Collins, and Oklahoma, who has Buddy Hield and Isaiah Cousins departing.

"He looked me in the eye and told me all the things he expected of me," Gillon said of Boeheim, according to the Syracuse.com. "He needed a solid player at the point guard position. He wanted someone who could make plays for people and score.''

Syracuse Beats Out Oklahoma for Grad Transfer John Gillon (todaysu.com; Koloziej)

Former Colorado State guard John Gillon has committed to the Syracuse Orange as a graduate transfer, reported by ESPN’s Jeff Borzello.

Two programs that reached the Final Four this season, Oklahoma and Syracuse, were in hot pursuit of Gillon just hours after he received a release from his scholarship from Colorado State.

Colorado State grad transfer John Gillon tells ESPN he has committed to Syracuse. https://t.co/dKxDqpPdo1

— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) May 1, 2016

“It’s pretty cool to think about,” Gillon told the Coloradoan. “It means a lot to me that they think that highly of me and think I can help their teams succeed for a year.”

He had fielded dozens of calls, compiling a number of offers from Power Five schools before he officially decided to commit to Syracuse. Gillon came over to Colorado State three years ago upon transferring from Arkansas-Little Rock. He had to sit the entire 2013-2014 season but will be immediately eligible to play this season for the Orange.

Other

20236608-standard.jpg

Enrico's
032308webershb-34d99ff3a9128965.jpg

Weber's
20230253-standard.jpg

Arturo's

CNY Restaurants We Wish We Had Back (photo gallery; PS)

Weber's was a great place. 75 cent glasses of beer on tap in the early 1980's --a nice crowd at the bar. Good German fare.