Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2014-05-frog-jumping-day-featured-960x640.jpg

Welcome to Frog Jumping Day!

Whether you’re jumping over a frog or jumping like one, today is a great day for hippity-hoppers.

Frog Jumping Day can be traced back to Missouri author Mark Twain, and his first short story, “Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog.” If you’d like to read this story today, it’s also known as “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” as well as “The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.”

Frogs make great pocket pets, so you may want to celebrate Frog Jumping Day by getting a frog—or a toad—as a pet. Many frogs are simple to care for, fun to watch, and can be a great first pet for children—as long as they maintain proper hand washing techniques!

Raising pet frogs can be as simple as buying a frog habitat with a coupon for tadpoles, and raising your frogs from infancy. Tadpoles can be super simple to raise. But it can be a lot more fun to pick out Kermit all grown-up, especially for young children eager to see their frog all ready to hop and croak!

SU News

qkDKsQ

Maryland a 'Dream Offer' for Skyrocketing 2018 DC Guard (24x7sports.com; Ermann)

No one in the Class of 2018 has burst onto the national radar during the past few months like Kiyon Boyd.

Little-known even locally until midway through last season, his sophomore year at H.D. Woodson (D.C.), Boyd has rocketed up the No. 18 spot in the 247Sports Composite rankings and collected offers from programs like Florida, Louisville, Baylor, Cincinnati, Xavier and Virginia Tech. A year earlier, he played just six games as a freshman at Dunbar (D.C.) due to academic ineligibility and arrived at Woodson without fanfare.
On Wednesday afternoon, Boyd visited Maryland, which has paid attention to him increasingly since chatter about his talent began spreading last winter. Hours later, he left College Park with an offer from Mark Turgeon.

"It went really good. He ended up getting offered. I think he was really impressed," Mines said.
More schools are sure to prioritize Boyd as he continues touring with Virginia-based Team Loaded this summer, North Carolina's already taken a peek, while Boyd grew up a big Syracuse fan. But the name of the program is unlikely to win him over, his coach said.

635899619953693604-ul-uncMcD4.jpg

UL C Onuaku Torn on Pro Decision (courier-journal.com; Greer)

Chinanu Onuaku isn't the most talkative guy. Louisville's star big man won't spend more than a sentence or two on most questions.

But he does seem legitimately torn about whether he'll return to college for his junior season or hire an agent and remain in the pool of NBA draft prospects.

This week's trip to the NBA combine is supposed to help him make that decision, in addition to what Onuaku described as long conversations with his older brother, Arinze, a former Syracuse center who is now playing professionally in the Philippines.

Onuaku said he'd like to make a final decision after this weekend, or "a little bit before the (May 25) deadline."

"It's a little hard, but I'm doing this for me. This is for me," Onuaku said. Some in his family "want me to go; some of them want me to stay. I'm going to make my decision. ... It's how I feel. If I feel like I'm ready, and I feel like the teams in the NBA are going to pick me, then I'm going to go."

But Onuaku added a moment later, "if I feel like I need a year, then I'll come back."

Pg1_topCroppedWeb-770x470.jpg

A Salute to the Pearl (outtimepress.com; David & Mason)

Photo-archivist Thor David, former Boys & Girls H.S. instructor, and writer Rich Mason, co-authors of an upcoming book covering a quarter century of Brooklyn high school basketball sports (1980-2005), reflect on the athlete whose example and achievements on the courts inspired their work. Mr.
David’s black & white images of Dwayne Alonzo Washington in action as a star at The High are some of the earliest images of #31
By Thor David and Rich Mason

As I write this article on our brother Dwayne “Pearl” Washington, I reflect on my Brooklyn roots. While growing up in East New York, Brooklyn in the early 1980’s, Pearl was a major basketball figure to the youth in this city. With not many resources allotted to the NYC streets back then, basketball became a true refuge and outlet for the talented youth in this city. The playgrounds became a community within themselves in every section of New York.

My journey with Pearl started last year with the creation of a New York City High School youth basketball photo collection book with his former Boys & Girls HS teacher Mr. Thor David.

Thor is a childhood friend of my late father Bernard “POP” Kinsey. They both grew up in the Gowanus Housing Projects. While working as a NYC schoolteacher, Thor took over 6,000 pictures (B & W plus color images) of legendary teams, amazing players (girls & boys), dynasty teams, powerful coaches, amazing crowds and great cheerleaders. These regular season & championship basketball game pictures were shot at Madison Square Garden, St. John’s University, Long Island University, Hunter College and other great schools in NYC.

Decades before Twitter, Facebook & other social media outlets, Pearl’s name was talked about on every basketball court in NYC and the nation. Some posit that Pearl’s reputation was growing before Hip-Hop or Mike Tyson, with him being the top HS basketball player in America.

Some even argue that the “golden era” of high school basketball & Hip-Hop had the same timeline of conception. While the young boys & girls in the city were displaying their amazing skills on the streets, playgrounds and gyms, DJ’s, Break-dancers and Graffiti artists were displaying their unique talents in neighborhoods throughout Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island & the Bronx.

Other

20311187-mmmain.jpg

CTO Protege, SU Alum Carla Fischer on Leadership (PS; Linhorst)

When Syracuse University graduates 6,349 people this weekend, Carla Fischer will be cheering on future leaders, some of whom she has guided.

The Newhouse School graduate moved back to Central New York after 25 years in Connecticut because of her love for SU. She serves on the national alumni board and has season tickets in football, basketball and lacrosse. This season, she missed watching SU's teams in the Final Four because she was in Casablanca delivering leadership training.

Fischer travels the world teaching corporate and executive leadership. She's worked in 46 countries since leaving General Electric and founding her company, Annex Learning Inc. She could run Annex Learning from anywhere, but by basing it here, she has been able to offer leadership workshops for groups of SU students at no charge.

In 1987, Fischer led her SU class in graduation as one of two all-university marshals. She gratefully credits her SU education and Newhouse School experience with success in the corporate world and then as an entrepreneur.

Tell me about Annex Learning.
I started it in 1999 when I left GE. I had a 12-year career at GE, first in communications and then I transferred to the learning and development area.