Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
27cbff015a.jpg

Welcome to International Day for Failure!

Without the possibility of failure there is no success, they go hand-in-hand. After all, failure means you have grabbed the opportunity to succeed. Day for Failure is the best day to show some stupidity, error estimation, awkward moments, and other fails to the world. So let’s celebrate our shortcomings and failures, share our experiences and promote the understanding of failure as a learning experience. One thing is for sure, you won’t be alone. #dayforfailure

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

-Albert Einstein

There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.

-Paulo Coelho

SU News

57fe6ec59eab4.image.jpg

Four-star New York wing commits to Arizona Wildcats (tucson.com; Pascoe)

Four-star wing Brandon Randolph has committed to Arizona, giving the Wildcats three members of their 2017 recruiting class even before the Red-Blue Game gets underway Friday.

Randolph, of Yonkers, N.Y., had been considering Syracuse, Wake Forest and Oregon.

Arizona already landed commitments from point guard Alex Barcello and center DeAndre Ayton in what is already being called the nation's No. 1 recruiting class so far.

The Wildcats have a number of top targets visiting this weekend in what UA coach Sean Miller has called the most important recruiting weekend yet in his UA tenure.

ESPN.com compared Randolph to Syracuse's Malachi Richardson in an analysis of him. A highlight video is attached.

Arizona basketball recruiting news: 2017 four-star Brandon Randolph commits (pacifictakes.com; O'Neill)

Already boasting a class containing the nation’s top recruit, Sean Miller and Arizona keep adding on and getting better. Wednesday afternoon, four-star guard Brandon Randolph told Scout he would be headed to Tucson next year.

2017 wing Brandon Randolph just verbally committed to Arizona, he tells Scout | Story: No. 38 Brandon Randolph commits to Arizonapic.twitter.com/AAmqnDgBjx

— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) October 12, 2016
Randolph had visited Arizona recently and was reportedly deciding between the Wildcats, Oregon, Syracuse, and Wake Forest.

Randolph is 6’6, so he offers Arizona some flexibility and versatility between playing the two, the three, or the four in a smaller set.

Arizona technically doesn’t have any scholarships left for 2017-18 at this point, but as is always the case with them, they’ll keep recruiting because at least one of their players will probably be NBA-bound after the year.

In the meantime, enjoy these Brandon Randolph highlights.

Syracuse Basketball 2016-2017 Player Previews: Tyler Roberson (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The Syracuse Orange front-court hasn’t been this deep since the 2011-2012 campaign. Senior forward Tyler Roberson figures to be a staple in the aforementioned loaded front line this year. The tea leaves forecast Roberson as having a solid senior season after coming off a somewhat mercurial junior year. That’s not to understate Roberson’s meritorious 8.8 points and 8.5 rebounds per contest.

Roberson was at his best in the NCAA Tournament where he hauled in 56 rebounds in Syracuse’s run to the Final Four. He also played some of his best basketball against the best competition — Roberson scored 14 points and grabbed 20 rebounds at Duke last season and put up 9 and 11 at UNC. Consistency will be of major importance for Roberson in his final go-round.

This year Roberson will have a very similar role where he’ll be relied upon to rebound the ball and play solid defense. With a plethora of scorers in the fold, it’s unlikely that Syracuse will run much, if any offense through Roberson. Most of his baskets will come off of put-backs and screen and roll scenarios. His jumper — like Frank Howard — looks to be much improved but it remains to be seen how long of a leash Jim Boeheim will grant him. This summer Donna Ditota caught up with Roberson in his hometown. Take it for what it’s worth, but in his pickup runs he took jumpers with alacrity.

Katie_Kolinski.JPG

SU Men's Basketball hires 1st female grad assistant (localsyr.com)

The Syracuse University men’s basketball team is making history with the programs first ever female graduate assistant.

Katie Kolinski had been a student manager the past five years for the team.

Two days after returning from the Final Four in Houston this spring, legendary coach Jim Boeheim sat down with Kolinski and offered her the promotion.

"He didn't see my excitement at the moment but as soon as I walked out of that room I was so happy." Kolinski tells NewsChannel 9.

Not only will Kolinski be at every practice she’ll also have a position on the bench at games this season.

Kolinski says, "I get to learn from a legendary coach everyday. I get to learn from his three assistants who are just amazing. I get to do behind the scenes work, break down film, watch film, film exchange; I get to listen in to meetings."

Kolinski says her gender has never been an issue the entire time she’s been part of the program but she does recognize the significance of what she’s doing.

"Showing females, girls, you can do anything you put your mind to it. I had a goal when I came in here my freshman year and I didn't let anything stop me." Kolinski says.

Other

21295488-mmmain.jpg

Black bear spotted near SUNY Oswego campus, police say (PS; Moses)

The State University of New York at Oswego Police Department is warning students of reports of black bear sightings near the main entrance to the college.

"They pose no immediate threat, but please keep your distance and follow the advice of the New York State Environmental Conservation Police," according to a post on the department's Facebook page.

If you encounter a bear, the DEC recommends the following tips:

• Never approach, surround or corner a bear: Bears aggressively defend themselves when they feel threatened. Be especially cautious around cubs as mother bears are very protective.
  • Never run from a bear: stay calm, speak in a loud and calm voice, slowly back away and leave the area.
  • Use noise to scare away bears from your yard if you live off campus: yell, clap or bang pots immediately upon sighting a bear near your home.
  • Do not throw your backpack or a food bag at an approaching bear: Doing so will only encourage bears to approach and "bully" people to get food.
SUNY Oswego sent out an alert to all staff and students this morning. The alert said the bear was sighted on Route 104 between the college's main entrance and Thompson Road, and asked the community to report any future sightings to university police at 312-5555.