Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to National Apple Pie Day!

Apple pie is seen as being very American. Just how American? Well, there is not one but two National Apple Pie Days in a year. And it's almost a certainty you've heard the phrase "as American as apple pie." How ironic it is, then, that apple pies didn't even originate in the United States, nor did apples!

Apples came from Asia, and their seeds and cuttings were brought to the Americas by Europeans during colonial times. Prior to this, only crab apples were grown in the Americas. The first apples brought to the Western Hemisphere were tart and were used for making cider. It wasn't until around 1800 when apples better suited for pies—with a higher acidity and crispness—began being grown in the United States. It was also around this time that Johnny Appleseed began traveling the country and helping solidify the association of the apple with America.

SU News

Keeping Up With The 315 5-10-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins opens the show discussing the details on the MTE in Vegas for NIL money Syracuse men’s basketball will be playing in and what it means. Then, he gives you the Man Who Sorta Knows gambling picks of the weekend. Lastly, some lax thoughts on the first round game for the women’s team and more.

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Basketball has address three players to its front-court for next season: Eddie Lampkin, Jyare Davis, and Donnie Freeman. The 'Cuse also retained Chris Bell and Naheem McLeod. Adrian Autry could also possibly use Chance Westry at the forward position.

Syracuse Basketball: Some fans predict doom and gloom for next season; let's give it time (itlh; Adler)

Social media and chat rooms have proven an interesting place this weekend as some Syracuse basketball fans are already predicting doom and gloom for the upcoming 2024-25 season.

If you've been on social media or in chat rooms over the past day or so, you've seen the rumors. I haven't seen anything official, so I'll not get into this any further.

Regardless of any discussion over one specific player, the sentiment among some fans is that Orange coaches have fared poorly this off-season in constructing their roster for 2024-25.

Whether I agree with this sentiment or not, I do understand this line of thinking and a sense of skepticism for the next campaign. Since the 2023-24 season ended, and the transfer portal opened, seven players on last term's roster have hit the portal, with many of them having since then found new collegiate homes.

Jim Boeheim receives honorary doctorate at Syracuse University commencement (yahoo.com; video)

Jim Boeheim receives honorary doctorate at Syracuse University commencement

Other

How much it costs to fly from Syracuse: Where local fares rank (PS; $; Tampone)

Flights from Syracuse Hancock International Airport cost about $370 on average during the fourth quarter of 2023, according to federal data.

That was less expensive than the major airports in both Albany and Rochester, but slightly more expensive than average fares in Buffalo.

Flying from Syracuse during the fourth quarter last year was also cheaper, on average, than flying from Ithaca, Elmira and John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The average fare from JFK during the fourth quarter was over $441.

Syracuse’s average in the fourth quarter was down over 11% from the fourth quarter of 2022, when adjusted for inflation, according to federal data.

The airport had the tenth-cheapest average in New York during the fourth quarter and was No. 87 for lowest fares nationwide out of 424 total airports.

You can see details of average fares at New York airports for the fourth quarter of 2023, the most recent quarter available, in the table below. If you can’t see the table, click here to open it in a new window.

IHSUBEB2JJDKXDWZ45ZRGVTOUI.jpg

Marie Palladino and her son, Nick Jr., at her home at the Brookdale assisted living community in Manlius. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

A lesson in red sauce, from a CNY mother who shares love through her cooking (PS; $; Miller)

Cooking was never transactional for Marie Palladino. Sure, she wanted to satisfy the appetite her husband and five children built up while working and playing on their 600-acre farm, the family farm now known as Heritage Hill Brewhouse in Pompey. But she found the process of putting breakfast, lunch and dinner together more rewarding.

As each meal came together, she’d pass along recipes and cooking techniques to her family.

“Cooking is showing love,” said Marie, now 82. “I come from a long line of good cooks, and we cooked every day. We would cook, and we would do it together. Cooking brings families together.”

That’s what made moving into the Brookdale assisted living community in Manlius a year ago so tough. After decades of cooking for family and friends, others were now cooking for Marie. Even today, on this Mother’s Day, someone else will be running the kitchen.

It’s a kitchen Marie knows well. Back in the ‘90s, she worked in this same building, then known as the Liberty Commons senior living facility. She was an employee who drove residents around town in a bus and ran the home’s activities. She also cooked for them.

“Everything comes full-circle, I guess,” she said from Brookdale’s library on Friday afternoon. “I always loved taking care of the old people. I wish I could take care of them now instead of having them take care of me. I just want to get back into the kitchen.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom