Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Syracuse News

-2101cea6edc8676e.jpg

SU Officially Confirms Home Game with St Johns (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University officials confirmed Monday that the Orange men's basketball team will host St. John's on Saturday, Dec. 6 at the Carrier Dome.

The date of the game was first reported on syracuse.com in mid-June.

Syracuse and St. John's were both original members of the Big East. Last year was Syracuse's first as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

This year's Syracuse-St. John's matchup is the second in a home-and-home series. Last year, Syracuse defeated St. John's 68-63 at Madison Square Garden.

ACC News

2013-14 BCI Awards: BC's Most Disliked Opponent-Syracuse (bcinterruption.com)

So I'm not going to lie, I'm not really feeling the animosity for Syracuse that some people feel. I don't know... maybe it's because I wasn't a student in the Big East days (though I did follow BC). Maybe it's because I'm not a basketball guy. I don't know. I enjoy having a Northern rivalry with Syracuse in the ACC, and certainly find games against them to be exciting, but they don't really get my dander up. But that's not the case for half of the voting panel of the BCI Awards. So, Syracuse gets the nod for most hated opponent of the year.

Obviously, it hurt to lose out on the big ORANGE-EAGLE TROPHY. But I'm sure we'll get that back this year, and can restore a more fitting disliked opponent to their throne as most hated opponent for the 2014-2015 BCI Awards.

Other

-ae7c39a673b3bfaa.jpg

Syracuse Crate: New Owner Has Local Flavors All Packed Up and Ready to Go (PS; Cazentre)

Can you take all the things you love about Central New York -- especially the foods -- and fit them into a box about the size of a case of beer?

Tommy Connors does it a couple of times each week. He's hoping to do it even more often.

Connors is the new owner of Syracuse Crate, a business that literally boxes up the favorite flavors of the region and ships them wherever people are craving things like Hinerwadels' salt potatoes, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que sauce, Hofmann hot dogs or Pastabilities' Spicy Hot Tomato Oil.

It was designed as a way for people in Central New York to send iconic items to those who have moved away.

"I always thought the idea was just pure genius," Connor said of the company, whose motto is "A bit of Syracuse delivered to your door."

15501227-mmmain.jpg

-fa6bd9322e562e9c.jpg

What Buildings Would be Razed If NY Rebuilds I-81 Downtown to Current Standards (i.e. Straighter) (PS; Weaver)

Building a straighter, elevated Interstate 81 in Syracuse would flatten some of the city's historic buildings, expensive apartments and renovated blocks while adding tens of millions of dollars in property costs to the overall project, according to an analysis by a group opposed to a new viaduct.

The state Department of Transportation says it's too soon to know what properties would be razed, but ReThink81 is making bold predictions.

According to the group, a new straighter viaduct would cut through the McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center, Smith's Restaurant Supply and the Snowden, where more than 100 convicted sex offenders live.

It would shoot through St. John the Evangelist, Nettleton Commons and Webster's Landing.

The middle of a new I-81 and larger I-690 interchange would cover more than a block of Little Italy along North Salina Street, from south of Learbury Centre up to the corner anchored by Rocky's News Stand,ReThink 81 predicts.

15501866-mmmain.jpg

Baldwinsville 15 Year Old Julia Goodwin Set to Sing at Live Show at Radio City Music Hall (PS; Johnson)

It's safe to say Julia Goodwin, of Baldwinsville, has become a singing sensation on "America's Got Talent," the NBC talent show competition. She has wowed the judges and made it to the all-important next round, the live performances at Radio City Music Hall. Goodwin is one of 12 contestants to perform when the show airs from 9 to 11 p.m. today. The 16-year-old can use some support from her hometown when the voting begins on Twitter.

Show judges _ Howie Mandel, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Howard Stern _ have been impressed with Goodwin from the beginning, her first audition. Stern said "fabulous" early in her performance of Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind."

It's a slow summer day and a good hat will keep the sun out of your eyes so this is a rambling way to get to this thing about the dismal array of Syracuse hats that recruits have to choose from: http://.com/we-need-to-talk-about-syracuse-hats/

Thank you for your time and attention, people of Syracusefan!