Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - For Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday For Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Syracuse News

-b49b0b7d5a86df2c.JPG

CJ Fair Wants to Go to Training Camp with an NBA Team (PS; Waters)

C.J. Fair wants a shot at making an NBA team's roster. And he's willing to risk a $200,000 contract offer for that opportunity.

Fair, the former Syracuse University basketball standout, recently fired his agent after not receiving any guarantees from any NBA teams. The agent, Torrell Harris, did secure a $200,000 offer from a professional team in Europe for Fair.

After firing Harris last week, Fair signed with Joel Bell, who runs the Maryland-based Bell Management International.

15521506-mmmain.jpg

Who Has Worn a Number After It Has Been 'Honored'? (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University has honored 10 basketball players by displaying their jerseys in the Carrier Dome.

The jersey-raising ceremony usually includes a framed replica of the jersey being presented to the player.

But that doesn't mean the number belongs to that player. Syracuse, like many other schools, recognizes the player by honoring his jersey, but it does not retire the number.

The issue of Syracuse's honored jerseys came up earlier this week when a reader asked about the reported-but-never-held ceremony to honor Lawrence Moten, the school's all-time leading scorer.

hi-res-2e642f8f455a9f337d1e4b427cd9fdbb_crop_north.jpg

Best Situational Lineups for SU Hoops in 2014-15 (BR; Siudut)

The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team will begin its 2014-15 season with an exhibition game against a familiar foe on Nov. 2.

The Carleton (Canada) Ravens will travel to the Carrier Dome in an attempt to avenge an exhibition loss to the Orange on Aug. 22 of last year. In that game, the Orange trailed 47-32 with less than 15 minutes to play, but a late run helped put the game into overtime, where Syracuse eked out a 69-65 win. Carleton defeated Wisconsin just two days prior, 95-82, so the Orange knew they’d be in for a fight.

Other

468780991.jpg

Jim Boeheim Says Derrick Rose Looks Better Now (cbssports.com; Gottlieb)

He’s a basketball Hall of Famer, he’s won more than 900 games, he’s the assistant coach for Team USA and he’s a friend of the program. Ladies and gentlemen, he’s Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.

And no, he doesn’t really miss having a summer.

“Honestly, we’re together (with Team USA for) one month, and it really is (like) my vacation,” the 69-year-old Boeheim said on The Doug Gottlieb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “The only thing I worry about is if it takes away from my family or if it takes away from Syracuse basketball. But it’s really a learning experience for me – even at my advanced age – to work with such great players and coaches. Having Coach (Tom) Thibodeau here and Coach (Monty) Williams from New Orleans, two new guys to work with and learn from – I got to be honest: I think it’s helped me and helped Syracuse basketball for me to be involved in this. I’ll do it as long as I can.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...e-top-committed-players-fit-at-the-next-level

malachirichardson8114.jpg

Syracuse has one of the smoothest scorers in the class in Malachi Richardson. (Nike EYB/Jon Lopez)

6. Malachi Richardson, Syracuse (No. 29): The 6-foot-6 New Jersey product is one of the better scorers from the wing position. He's got a smooth stroke from the perimeter and can also get points in the mid-range. Richardson always seems to find ways of getting baskets. Syracuse is filled with combo forward types on the roster, but Richardson immediately upgrades their wing scoring. He will likely find plenty of minutes from day one.

15. Moustapha Diagne, Syracuse (No. 47): Syracuse doesn't rely on its bigs to create too much offensively on their own, which is why Diagne is a perfect fit for the Orange. He has great upper-body strength, and is a very good offensive rebounder. He can also finish at the rim, not shying away from contact when going up. Rakeem Christmas is gone after this season, leaving oft-injured DaJuan Coleman to lead the way. Chinoso Obokoh will also be around. Diagne's offensive game is raw, but his ability to rebound will be helpful out of the gate.

19. Tyler Lydon, Syracuse (No. 61): The 6-foot-9 Lydon has a future as a stretch-four in Upstate New York. He possesses deep range on his jumper and will make contested shots. Lydon runs the floor well and moves around without the ball. Lydon does need to add strength and toughness, though. Syracuse has a couple of combo forwards on its roster already in B.J. Johnson and Tyler Roberson, but Lydon is more skilled than both of them and brings the added dimension of shooting.

No Kaleb Joseph. Strange.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...e-top-committed-players-fit-at-the-next-level

malachirichardson8114.jpg

Syracuse has one of the smoothest scorers in the class in Malachi Richardson. (Nike EYB/Jon Lopez)

6. Malachi Richardson, Syracuse (No. 29): The 6-foot-6 New Jersey product is one of the better scorers from the wing position. He's got a smooth stroke from the perimeter and can also get points in the mid-range. Richardson always seems to find ways of getting baskets. Syracuse is filled with combo forward types on the roster, but Richardson immediately upgrades their wing scoring. He will likely find plenty of minutes from day one.

15. Moustapha Diagne, Syracuse (No. 47): Syracuse doesn't rely on its bigs to create too much offensively on their own, which is why Diagne is a perfect fit for the Orange. He has great upper-body strength, and is a very good offensive rebounder. He can also finish at the rim, not shying away from contact when going up. Rakeem Christmas is gone after this season, leaving oft-injured DaJuan Coleman to lead the way. Chinoso Obokoh will also be around. Diagne's offensive game is raw, but his ability to rebound will be helpful out of the gate.

19. Tyler Lydon, Syracuse (No. 61): The 6-foot-9 Lydon has a future as a stretch-four in Upstate New York. He possesses deep range on his jumper and will make contested shots. Lydon runs the floor well and moves around without the ball. Lydon does need to add strength and toughness, though. Syracuse has a couple of combo forwards on its roster already in B.J. Johnson and Tyler Roberson, but Lydon is more skilled than both of them and brings the added dimension of shooting.

No Kaleb Joseph. Strange.

Looks like they were focusing on the class of 2015. Joseph is class of 2014...

Looks like they were focusing on the class of 2015. Joseph is class of 2014...
You are correct. Kind of shocking, still, to see 3 SU guys on there. Hopefully they're sticking around a few years and cemet themselves as a true core.

Hopefully some of our current players will have better reputations after this season than they do now. They look at Tyler Lydon as an upgrade ever Roberson and Johnson, especially because he can shoot, (which suggests they can't). Coleman is primarily known for being injured. Remember when he an Breanna Stewart were the big stories in this area?

Hopefully some of our current players will have better reputations after this season than they do now. They look at Tyler Lydon as an upgrade ever Roberson and Johnson, especially because he can shoot, (which suggests they can't). Coleman is primarily known for being injured. Remember when he an Breanna Stewart were the big stories in this area?

It just looks like a hastily written article. I definitely think BJ and Tyler have the potential to make the biggest jumps this year and will be gobbling up minutes for the rest of their time at the Cuse.

IF Coleman can recover fully from his leg injuries/ problems he has the talent and tools to become a significant contributor to the success of the Basketball team. The amount of struggle he has gone through and the perseverance he has shown certainly indicate how much heart this kid has and his willingness to overcome significant hardship.

Having seen the enthusiasm and zeal for his teammates during games while he has cheered them on from the bench has won a spot in my heart for this kid. Oftentimes fans lose the perspective of these players being young 18+ year old kids in big older looking bodies and judge them harshly. They deserve our support both in times when they excel and when they encounter difficulties in their game or become injured.

I'm looking forward to the day when DC has they game that we all have hoped to see from him so that he may be rewarded for his grit and determination that he has shown since first setting foot on campus at Syracuse.

You are correct. Kind of shocking, still, to see 3 SU guys on there. Hopefully they're sticking around a few years and cemet themselves as a true core.
It's a ranking of 2015 commits, not all 2015 players, as I recall.