Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
strawberry-parfait-final2.jpg

Welcome to National Strawberry Parfait Day!

SU News

18168364-mmmain.jpg

NBA Experts Weigh In One Last Time on McCullough and Christmas (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng)

On Chris McCullough

Adam Zagoria: McCullough is a borderline late first round pick. I think Chris has got a lot of upside and a potential to be a good NBA player. He’s probably going to start out in the D-League. It’s unclear whether he’ll be fully rehabbed and recovered and ready to go. He certainly has an NBA body with that length. But he’s got a limited sample size at Syracuse and he’s got to develop and work on his game. But if he does what he’s supposed to do, he’ll be an NBA player down the road.

Ryan Blake: I think for a guy who had an ACL injury and only played part of the season, he’s got a lot of ability. But in terms of where you want to get drafted, if that’s your goal, to make an NBA team. You want to get drafted in the first round where there’s guaranteed money. And you can’t work out with any teams because you’re not healthy enough. So when you look at any team that might have a second pick, yeah, they may check him out in the first round. However, he’s likely to go in the second round… You’ve got a guy that’s not a proven commodity. He’s got a lot of upside based on what you saw in the early part of the season, but right now there’s a lot of question marks.

On Rakeem Christmas…

New Orleans Pelicans Interested in Rakeem Christmas (BR; Duffy)

The New Orleans Pelicans haven’t been linked to anything huge in recent weeks, and that’s not surprising since the team is devoid of a first-round selection. While having No. 56 is better than nothing, new head coach Alvin Gentry doesn't seemed thrilled with it.

“I think it’s one of those deals where we have some guys in mind,” Gentry said on June 24, per Rod Walker of The New Orleans Advocate. “Obviously you look at all the scenarios that can happen and you think of maybe picking a foreign player. Fifty-six is not a number where you usually can get a lot of help.”

Walker wrote that the Pels will probably select a player relatively unknown to fans, but there’s a chance some solid prospects like Oregon’s Joseph Young or Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas could be available. Both would bring some value to the up-and-coming Pelicans.

It’s never that simple, though, is it? There always has to be some kind of drama.

How Rakeem Christmas is Surging Up the Draft Boards (dimemag; Rickman)

Rakeem Christmas scans the room, his eyes darting back and forth toward the various clusters of crowds surrounding some of the other prospects gathered in the back of the Quest Multisport Complex. The throng around Pat Connaughton seems to be getting bigger, as the former Notre Dame star answers the 100th question about his baseball career.

Christmas then turns his attention to a team beat writer who sees an opportunity to get some one-on-one time, and the reporter asks the Syracuse forward one too many questions about the NCAA investigation that led to the team losing 12 scholarships over the next four seasons – and kept the senior from having any chance at finishing his career with one more memorable ACC Tournament due to a self-imposed post-season ban.

“It was rough in the beginning,” Christmas said, referring to the Syracuse investigation. “But after a couple days, you realize I’ve been to the tournament three times, went to the Final Four my sophomore year. A lot of people haven’t done that. I’ve been there. I’ve done it. This year, realizing I can go out there and just keep playing, the rest of those last games I was just playing for an opportunity to get ready to play in the NBA.”

2015 NBA Draft is Tonight. Full Order, TV Channel Info, Live Stream and Time (PS; Stevens)

The 2015 NBA Draft will be held Thursday at Brooklyn's Barclays Center. ESPN will televise the two-round event, with the broadcast scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

Minnesota won last month's draft lottery and will select No. 1 overall for the first time in franchise history. The Los Angeles Lakers, Philadelphia, New York and Orlando round out the top five.

Below is the list of channel numbers for ESPN in the Syracuse area:

• Time Warner: Channel 300 (SD & HD) and channel 24 for non-digital customers

Verizon Fios: Channel 570 (HD) and 70 (SD)
  • DirectTV: Channel 206 (SD & HD)
  • Dish Network: Channel 140 (SD &HD)
  • New Visions: Channel 757 (HD) and 70 (SD)

You can also watch online through Watch ESPN or by using the Watch ESPN app for tablets and mobile devices.

usa-today-7344367.0.jpg

Wildcats Edge Out Ducks for Top Shooting Guard (addictedtoquack.com; Keown)

Sorry Francis...he would have looked great in orange

Jamal Murray has committed to play for the Kentucky Wildcats.

It was announced today at 6:00 p.m. EST that he decided to head to Lexington. This shouldn't come as a big surprise, seeing how the University of Kentucky has been an NBA factory for the last four or five years, which is a hard selling point to fight against as most of the top prospects have aspirations to make it to the NBA as soon as they can, which is something head coach John Calipari has had no difficulty doing.

However, it should come as a small kicker seeing that Oregon was projected by 75% to receive the commitment from Murray, with Kentucky only holding a 25% prediction from 247 Sports Crystal Ball.

Murray, coming from the Athlete Institute Basketball Academy in Toronto, is a composite 4 star recruit (#30 overall player and the #7 shooting guard). He has decided to reclassify to the class of 2015, which makes him eligible to play this upcoming basketball season. He held offers from other schools such as Ohio State, Virginia, and Michigan State, while receiving a lot of interest from other power programs such as Duke, Louisville, and Syracuse.

Other

-126d688248e070b2.jpg

Downtown Syracuse is Having a Moment (PS; Editorial)

Now that the din of jackhammers and earthmovers has stopped in our little corner of downtown Syracuse, we take a quiet moment to celebrate the remarkable things they have wrought lately in the center city.

These bullet points come from the Downtown Committee of Syracuse, which conducted its annual meeting Wednesday. The committee also celebrated its 40th birthday and tweeted up a storm with reasons to #CelebrateDowntownSYR.

• More than $340 million in development activity is underway. This includes the resurrection of the dormant Hotel Syracuse at the foot of Warren Street, which has become the spine of downtown's resurgence.

• Downtown's residential population has grown 43 percent over the past 10 years, with 153 new units coming online in the past year and more than 300 units planned or under construction. More than 2,700 people live downtown. Occupancy is at 99 percent.

• 18 businesses opened in the past year, with more in the pipeline.

• 2.5 million visitors came downtown for festivals and events and another 1.3 million attended events at the Civic Center and Landmark Theatre.

• That din outside our Warren Street office? It's the completion of the pedestrian- and bike-friendly Connective Corridor along Fayette Street that links Syracuse University to downtown. The former Centro bus stop at One Lincoln Center is next in line for transformation into a vibrant public space.

-599fd414463ade67.jpg

CNY Spaces: Photo Essay on the Newhouse School of Communications Buildings (PS; Lassman)

The Newhouse Communications complex at Syracuse University began in 1964 after a gift from Samuel I. Newhouse with the dedication of the Newhouse I building . It is designed by award winning architect I.M. Pei. Mr. Newhouse was joined at the dedication that day in 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson who accepted an honorary degree and gave his "Gulf of Tonkin Speech".

The second building, Newhouse II was dedicated in 1974 following the merger of the School of Journalism and the Television and Radio Department as the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

The S.I. Newhouse Foundation funded the construction of the third building of the complex in 2003. The Keynote address at the Newhouse III dedication was delivered by Chief Justice of the United States John G. Roberts. Newhouse II has been renovated recently with the expanded space known as the Newhouse Studio and Innovation Center. This work was supported by gifts from the Kari and Dick Clark Foundation (Dick Clark '51 was a Syracuse alumnus) and Cablevision Industries founder Alan Gerry.

As one of the top journalism schools in the country Newhouse has programs in print and broadcast journalism, advertising, public relations, television and film.

Last edited:
Kind of says it all to the anti JB crowd in the TNIAAM article.

-----"TNIAAM: What is it about the Syracuse program that keeps guys so tight even after their playing careers have finished?

RB: Boeheim is the reason for us sticking together."----