Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
mamasgottabake.jpg

Welcome to Julliene Fries Day!

Each year, National Julienne Fries Day is observed on August 12th.

To julienne fries is to cut the potatoes into long thin strips, similar to matchsticks. Julienne fries are also sometimes called “shoestring fries”.

Although the origin of the julienne cut is uncertain, the oldest known print is in the 1722 edition of Francois Massialot’s Le Cuisinier Royal et Bourgeois.

CELEBRATE

Grab some julienne fries and use #JulienneFriesDay to post on social media.

HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Julienne Fries Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

SU News

Kaleb_Joseph_Michael_Gbinije.0.0.png

Don't Give Up on Kaleb Joseph Just Yet (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Kaleb Joseph didn't get off to an auspicious start at Syracuse, but that's no reason to believe he won't turn himself into a solid point guard.

By now, Kaleb Joseph has heard as much vitriol as one could imagine as a Syracuse Orange -- enough to make even the likes of Paul Harris cringe.

If the story has been told once, it's been told a million times; Joseph came in expecting to sit behind Tyler Ennis and learn the point guard role. Ennis departed for the NBA, leaving a huge void at the point guard spot that Joseph could never have been ready for. But don't give up hope on Joseph just yet.

First things first. Tyler Ennis was an aberration at Syracuse. It's extremely rare for a kid as young as Tyler Ennis to have as great of an understanding of the game at his age. Ennis was well beyond his years -- he truly understood the point guard position. Ennis knew time and situation, understood angles and knew where to direct his teammates on the floor. You just don't see players with that type of basketball knowledge at such a young age.

As Joseph was left to take over the reigns in Ennis' wake, the unfair comparisons would follow. But comparing two players who have completely different games solely based on closeness in time seems ludicrous. If we're comparing apples to apples -- or in this case, oranges to oranges -- Scoop Jardine fits the bill. Could you have imagined Scoop Jardine running the show as a freshman? It wouldn't have been pretty. But all could agree that Scoop worked his way into a very good college player.

Let's take a look at Joseph's freshman year stats:

College Basketball News

rysheed-jordan-2.jpg

Rysheed Jordan Will Not Return to St Johns in 2015-16 (zagsblog.com; Zagoria)

Here’s a few quick notes on former and current St. John’s players and a staff update:

**Former St. John’s point guardRysheed Jordan plans to play overseas or in the NBA D-League, he told COBL.com.

“I don’t know yet. It’s either overseas or the D-League, two options,”Jordan told the site. “It depends whether I would prefer to go far or stay local.”

He said his decision will come “soon.”

Jordan added that he considered entering the 2015 NBA Draft but wasn’t able to make it happen.

“I was going to go into the ‘15 Draft, but it got too late,” he said. “I was iffy on if I was going back, and it came too late, and I didn’t go to take my finals.”

**German forward Richard Freudenberg visited St. John’s over the weekend and enjoyed it.

“The visit was great,” he told SNY.tv. “But it was an unofficial visit. The coaching staff is huge!! And they [are] getting more international!”

Other

-840c5906f1695363.jpg

Meteors Streak Above the Wyoming countryside early Tuesday night

'Amazing' Perseid Meteor Shower: When Where and How to See It in CNY (PS; Coin)

If the weather cooperates, Central New Yorkers this week could see one of the best summertime meteor showers in years.

The Perseid meteor shower started July 17, but peaks Wednesday and Thursday with up to 100 meteors per hour hitting Earth's atmosphere and streaking across the night sky.

Here are some tips on how to best see what The Weather Channel is calling an "amazing" shower of meteors, which are no bigger than grains of sand.

What day? Clouds are the bane of sky-watching in Central New York, and there will be plenty of clouds this week. National Weather Service meteorologist Mark Pellerito said the best shot for clear skies will be Thursday -- very early in the morning or very late in the evening.

"Your best bet is the pre-dawn hours Thursday morning," Pellerito said. That would be perfect timing, because NASA says the single best hour to watch the meteor show is 4 to 5 a.m. Eastern time Thursday.

If clouds are too thick then -- or you're not an early riser -- try Thursday night after 9 p.m. "The first half of Thursday night will be a pretty good shot at seeing some clear sky," Pellerito said.

What time? Star-gazing parties will be held at local parks from 9 to 11 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, but viewing is generally best from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m., when the sun is on the opposite side of the Earth.

"You want to have your sky as far away from the sun as possible because you want it as dark as possible," said Damian Allis, director of the CNY Observers astronomy group. "These little streaks are thin and they don't last for more than a second."

Speaking of Joseph, did the ECAS play any games since they played the Nigerian National Team? Any results or stats out there?

Speaking of Joseph, did the ECAS play any games since they played the Nigerian National Team? Any results or stats out there?
Sorry, no stats. Nigerian team beat USA East Coast All Stars by 39 points. At this point, Donna on PS said the window was too late to take snapshot of the box score. Doesn't look like they will have it.

They play China National Team either today or yesterday.
11033717_1125829867444882_7563009568809139158_n.jpg

Sorry, no stats. Nigerian team beat USA East Coast All Stars by 39 points. At this point, Donna on PS said the window was too late to take snapshot of the box score. Doesn't look like they will have it.

They play China National Team either today or yesterday.
11033717_1125829867444882_7563009568809139158_n.jpg

Thanks for the update. Seems its been a while since we heard about ECAS

What about the potatoes? Every serving of french fries means less vodka, its truly a chose your venom type situation. :D

I do conceeding, Elephants obviously more important than fries. I think sutomcat's thing is food days though.
To clarify my position on the issues of the day (quite literally)...

I am pro julliene french fries

But also pro elephant.

That does not mean I am a Republican. I may or may not be.

But I am definitely pro endangered species that pee majestically.

;)

Warning, do not watch this while eating.

But also pro elephant.

;)

First thing, I never thought of having french fries with my elephant before, but thanks to Tom, I think I will try that next time.

Second thing, I must have seen a female pee, because I would have remembered THAT.

But also pro elephant.

;)

That thing has a life of its own :eek:

Thanks for the update. Seems its been a while since we heard about ECAS
They played a team from China in Treviso recently. I have a feeling the results on the court have not been optimal as box scores or even scores have not been forthcoming.

Here is a picture of Kaleb that was recently posted on the coaches Twitter account:

11880392_1125836390777563_6709322827582172541_n.jpg

He looks older and appears to have added some upper body strength...

But also pro elephant.

;)

That elephant better be careful, I can see a mob of meerkats climbing up on that thing and swinging around for a while.

First thing, I never thought of having french fries with my elephant before, but thanks to Tom, I think I will try that next time.

Second thing, I must have seen a female pee, because I would have remembered THAT.
Don't need to cook an elephant; it tastes like chicken.

Julieanne fries? meh! Wake me up when its national Steak Fries day. That is something that I can get behind.

Boeheim, wearing a damn sweater in Vegas. In August. The guy is over the hill. One trick pony. Never even gave a thought to switching to tee even though it was clearly not going to cool off any time soon. The guy just says "oh well, it's sweater all the way no matter what!!"

Boeheim, wearing a damn sweater in Vegas. In August. The guy is over the hill. One trick pony. Never even gave a thought to switching to tee even though it was clearly not going to cool off any time soon. The guy just says "oh well, it's sweater all the way no matter what!!"
He's indoors. It's probably over-air conditioned like a lot of places are.