Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
GWRDay-Roundup-Article-580-327_tcm25-329785.jpg

Welcome to International Guinness World Records Day!

Record breaking attempts that are especially visual can be chosen for filming for this years Guinness World Record Day newsreel and shown world-wide.

Pictures of attempts can also be sent into the Guinness World Record and may be used for publicity on the website or even included in next years book.

In both 2009 and 2010, more than 300,000 people took part in attempting to break more than 50 different records.

SU News

-f59f87df5bac408b.jpg

Tyus Battle Explains Why He De-Committed From Michigan (PS; Waters)

On May 11, Tyus Battle abruptly ended his college recruitment, announcing that he had decided to play for the University of Michigan after a weekend visit to the school.

The announcement came as a surprise not just to anyone, but to his mom, Daniella.

"I had made a promise to my mom to continue out my college process and make sure I look at all my options,'' Battle said. "My mom rarely focuses on basketball. She's an academic person. She wanted to make sure that I had all the information I needed to make the right choice.''

So on Friday, June 19, Battle delivered the second shocking announcement in his recruiting process. He would re-open his recruitment. Another visit to Syracuse was scheduled for that weekend.

Almost a month later, Battle had made up his mind for the second time. This time, he chose Syracuse.

Battle, a 6-foot-6 senior guard at St. Joseph's High School in Metuchen, N.J., is considered one of the top prospects in the Class of 2016. He is ranked No. 24 in the class by , No. 25 by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. and No. 36 on ESPN.com. He is expected to sign a national letter of intent to play for Syracuse on Wednesday, the opening day of the NCAA's week-long early signing period.

"It was definitely the best decision for me and my family,'' Battle said of Syracuse. "I had rushed my first decision. I needed to take my time.''

In truth, though, Battle had decided on Syracuse shortly after his visit to the SU campus. The memory of rescinding his commitment to Michigan caused him to keep that decision quiet for a few weeks.

usa-today-8236014.0.jpg

Are You Ready for Head Coach Hop? (TNIAAM; Staff)

Basketball season begins this Friday and in preparation, the TNIAAM crew got around a round table, drank Bathtub IPA and talked about the upcoming basketball season. Today's topic: Are You Ready for the Hop Experience?

Syracuse Orange fans love Jim Boeheim. He won't be around for nine games this season because... well, let's not go into it. So instead we get some quality time with Mike Hopkins. How does TNIAAM feel about this sneak preview of the Hopkins Era? Let's jump into it, shall we?

Steve Haller: I've been ready for the Coach Hop experience, not from any desire to end the Coach Boeheim experience, but more out of the "I think he's probably ready" camp. I'd like to see what the guy can do and we'll get as good a taste as any this winter.

Kenny Lacy: Yes! Coach Hop has been waiting for his chance and I'm very excited to see how he responds to this opportunity. My only fear is lets say Hop goes 9-0 (I know, extremely unlikely, but go with me here), would people be calling for Boeheim's job? As much as I want to see Hop coach, I'm not sure I'd like the controversy if something like that were to happen.

Andy Pregler: Yes yes and so yes. I love his energy, I love his attitude, personality and his underrated love of stats and applications to the team. I think that however long he's in charge, we'll see that he's not all that different from Boeheim, minus working knowledge or email, texting, tweeting and technology in general.

James Szuba: Bring it on. There's no man more deserving or ready for this position than Hop. It will be a nice appetizer, but we won't see the full course until he officially takes over.

maxresdefault.jpg

Recruiting Roundup: On 2015 Signing Day, SU Basketball Class Ranked Number 16 (thejuice; Cheng)

A big thank you goes out to all of our Veterans Day on this national holiday. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice! On to today’s Syracuse recruiting links…

2016 forward Matt Moyer will be signing his LOI this afternoon at 2 p.m. at South Kent School. Moyer was SU’s first commit in the 2016 cycle, and took to Twitter yesterday to thank the coaching staff for “believing in me from the start.” SU’s other commit in the class, Tyus Battle, will be signing next week according to Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota. At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Evan Daniels released new rankings for the class for signing day, and Syracuse is at No. 16.

One prospect from the 2016 class that won’t sign in the near future is 4-star big man Taurean Thompson,reports Daniels. Thompson is still in the middle of his recruiting process, having only taken officials to Syracuse and Xavier. Seton Hall, Rutgers and Temple still remain involved in his recruitment.

Other

-7ac1f3f86c709f14.JPG

Sonic Drive-In Comes to CNY: What You Need to Know (PS; Tampone)

Sonic Drive-In opens its first location in the Syracuse area at 10 a.m. Saturday.

Here's what you need to know:

Expect a crowd:
Sonic openings tend to be big events. The opening of the Capital Region's first Sonic led to 200-car lines and four-hour wait times. Police will be on hand to direct traffic for the Central New York opening this weekend, franchisee Fran DeSimone said. "I would just say expect it to be extremely busy and be patient and wait," he said. "It's going to be busy. That's really the bottom line."

The menu: It's classic fast food. Hot dogs, chili dogs, burgers and fries. The chain is also known for offering tots as a side dish. The list of shakes is long: hot fudge, peanut butter, chocolate cream pie and pineapple, to name a few. There are a host of limeade flavors as well.

It really is a drive-in: Park your car, check out the menu and press the big red button on the board to order. A roller-skating carhop delivers your food. The Syracuse-area Sonics will all also feature an indoor dining area with seating. And if it's snowing, don't expect the skates.

Last edited:
You guys are lucky to finally have a sonic they make great milkshakes. Peanut Butter and Chessecake :)
I was at the Sonic opening in the Capital Region. It was hell. We had to go to a staging area a few miles away. Once there, we were given a ticket and then we had to wait there until we were told we could drive to the restaurant. We waited for about an hour. Then we went to the restaurant and once there had to wait another couple of hours. It was very very busy all summer long.

I was at the Sonic opening in the Capital Region. It was hell. We had to go to a staging area a few miles away. Once there, we were given a ticket and then we had to wait there until we were told we could drive to the restaurant. We waited for about an hour. Then we went to the restaurant and once there had to wait another couple of hours. It was very very busy all summer long.
Wow, all for terrible fast food. The only redeeming thing imo, is their cold drinks in summer (sodas), they have a happy hour for them. Other than that, the food is bottom shelf.

Wow, all for terrible fast food. The only redeeming thing imo, is their cold drinks in summer (sodas), they have a happy hour for them. Other than that, the food is bottom shelf.
I agree, I am not a fan, but my wife loves their slushies (sp?).

With all the talk of our three point shooting, Roberson stepping out to hit that long two could be a huge key. Hes going to play 30+ minutes for us, so really outside 10-15 minutes depending how long Lydon is at center we will only have three three point shooters on the floor ,Hitting and being in position for that that long two might take Roberson off the offensive boards but it gives us 4 long shooters on the floor and could be a nice alternative to someone stepping up and playing true pg.