Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
december-solstice-illustration.png

Welcome to the First Day of Winter/December Solstice!

The December solstice is on either December 20, 21, 22 or 23.
The North Pole is tilted furthest from the Sun.

It is the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, where it is the shortest day of the year.
In the Southern Hemisphere, it is the summer solstice and the longest day of the year.

December Solstice in Syracuse, New York, U.S.A. is on
Monday, December 21, 2015 at 11:49 PM EST(Change city)

SU News

022815HudsonCMaristP2.jpg

Jahvon Quinerly

SU Basketball Recruiting: Orange Recruits Playing Big Games (TNIAAM; Carey)

The high school basketball season is under way and plenty of Syracuse Orangerecruits are starting to put together big-time performances. A few of the recruits have put together some monster games for their high schools.

Quade Green - Point Guard

Green is a 6-foot point guard out of Philadelphia. He has been on Syracuse's radar for a while. He attends Neumann-Goretti, the same high school that produced the likes ofScoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, and current Syracuse WR Jamal Custis. Green's teammate Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, also holds an offer from the Orange.

Kevin Knox - Small Forward

Knox is an athletic freak at small forward. At 6-foot 7 he is a very versatile player. He can rebound the ball and get out in transition, finish around the rim, and also has the ability to knock down a jump shot. Knox holds offers from the likes of Duke, North Carolina, and Florida St. He will be a tough kid to get to commit, but he has expressed interest in the Orange.

Tyus Battle - Combo Guard

Tyus Battle, 2016 signee, had a solid outing in his first game of the season. Battle is still trying to recover from the knee injury, that side lined him for much of last season. Battle is motivated for a big season as his recruiting ratings dropped, due to injury, he is trying to prove the doubters wrong.

Jahvon Quinerly - Point Guard

Qunierly, is a crafty point guard from New Jersey. His recruitment has been relatively quiet thus far, but it will soon pick up as he gets older. He attended Orange Madness, and was at the St. John's game last week. Quinerly is as smooth as they come at the point and can do it all.

lydon_gtown-300x300.jpg

Analyzing Syracuse Through Four Factors of Basketball Success (thejuice; Stechschulte)

Early in statistical analysis of basketball, Dean Oliver created his “Four Factors of Basketball Success”. While Oliver did all of his statistical research on the NBA, the nitty-gritty of the four factors to success remain the same. They are, listed in order of importance:

• shooting the ball
  • turnovers
  • offensive rebounding
  • free throw attempts
For shooting the ball, effective field goal percentage (eFG%) is the preferred method of measurement, as it weights three-point shooting. For turnovers, turnover rate (TOV%) is used, as it normalizes for pace instead of relying on the crude number of turnovers. Similarly, offensive rebounding rate (ORB%), which is the percentage of potential offensive rebounds grabbed, works in place of the number of offensive rebounds. Free throw attempts are measured in free throw rate (FT/FGA), which if free throw attempts divided by field goal attempts.

Analyzing how a team performs based on these four factors, including how their opponents have done against them, helps give a complete picture of the quality of the team. Through Saturday’s games, here is how the Syracuse offense profiles among 351 Division One teams:

eFG% – 181st at .499
TOV% – 176th at 16.0%
ORB% – 118th at 32.8%
FT/FGA – 115th at .274

ACC News

usa-today-9004154.0.jpg

All-Time ACC Iron Men (dukebasketballreports.com; Jacobs)

Playing time is among the great privileges and incentives any coach can offer a player. Sometimes it’s used as a reward, or withheld to make a point. Most often it’s simply earned.

But circumstances also create opportunity, or expand it. The fewer the viable alternatives, the greater the opportunity.

That’s been the case so far at NC State and Syracuse.

The Wolfpack relies on seven players averaging a minimum of 22 minutes per outing, led by Anthony "Cat" Barber. The indispensible point guard’s 33 points in a win at Missouri allowed him to pass Duke’s Grayson Allen as the ACC’s leading scorer (22.2 points compared to 20.1). Barber played 39 minutes against the Tigers as he also took the league lead in average minutes per game (38.09).

Meanwhile only six Syracuse players were averaging double digits in minutes played through December 20 of this year. Seniors Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije were among the top three in the conference in time spent on the court.

Cooney played ‘only’ 34 minutes in a victory against Cornell, causing his average to drop from 38.2 to a mere 37.8 minutes per contest.

MANY MINUTE MEN
Highest Average Minutes Per Game By ACC Player Since 1990
(Through Games of Dec. 20, 2015)

Mins. Player, School Year Games
39.13 Curtis Staples, V 1998 30
39.09 Dennis Scott, GT* 1990 35
38.9 Kenny Anderson, GT 1991 30
38.5 Edward Scott, C 2003 28
38.4 Jared Dudley, BC 2007 30
38.24 Malcolm Delaney, GT 2011 34
38.13 Tyrese Rice, BC 2008 30
38.09 Anthony Barber, NCS 2016 11
37.97 Randolph Childress, WF 1995 32
37.84 Eric Atkins, ND 2014 32
37.82 Trevor Cooney, SU 2016 11
37.74 Kenny Anderson, GT 1990 35
37.71 Chris Corchiani, NCS 1991 31
* Led ACC in scoring.

Other

Glens-Falls-civiccenter_jpg.jpg

Reaction to Decision to Move NY State Hoops Championship Tournament From Glens Falls to Binghamtion (timesunion.com; Medved)

On Friday after much back-and-forth, the New York State Public High School Athletic Association Executive Committee voted to move the Boys Basketball Tournament out of Glens Falls and down to the Southern Tier where Binghamton’s Maines Arena will play host for at the next three years beginning in 2017.

The Glens Falls Civic Center has been host to the State Tournament for 35 years and the city of Glens Falls and the surrounding area for that matter put on a great event. There is something magical about the small-town feel of the atmosphere coupled with the cavernous arena with the steep rows of seating and the nostalgic feel of the place. Call it Hoosiers right here in our own back yard. The place is special. From the way the wood floor sounds when you bounce the ball on it, the depth perception of shooting without a wall behind the backboards, the people who greet you when you walked in, the feeling of home. Almost like a family. Comfortable.

“It is really too bad. My greatest memories are of the people who worked the tournament from the administrators, Hal Van Earden at the pass door, all the wives who sold the tee shirts and on and on. They created a family atmosphere that made you look forward every year to seeing those familiar excited faces who did everything in their power to make us all feel comfortable. We lost to Greenwich there by 1 when they had Tony Traver in 1980. Eleven school busses made the trip and it was an electric night that all our people still cherish!” John Konowitz – Former Head Coach Ausable Valley High School (retired)

Now with the games moving to Binghamton new people will get a chance to provide a great venue, and I am not blind that change can sometimes be a good thing, but I just do not understand why someone would move something so special when the situation didn’t appear to be broken. For kids like Jimmer Fredette, growing up in the area and watching the event as a fan was almost as special as being there as a player.

“I was disappointed to hear that the state tournament has been taken away from Glens Falls. I grew up watching it every year and saw so many of the best teams and players New York has ever produced. I would watch games all day long with my dad, my brother and my friends. The whole greater Glens Falls community loved the tournament and put on a great family friendly event every year. One of my greatest basketball memories ever was being able to play in the states in my home town. I hope we will be able to get it back one day.” Jimmer Fredette – Former Player Glens Falls High School and 2011 NCAA Player of the Year at BYU

Last edited:
In re: Glens Falls; there are lots of events like this. Traditionally they've been held in one place and handled a certain way for a long period of time. Could they be "bigger" and more spectacular in a different location? Probably. Should they be moved, or should we be honor tradition and keep them where they are?? There is some magic in the tradition...... of course in a larger more centrally located location maybe more folks can enjoy?? Interesting question to ponder.

A couple of events that come to mind are the College World Series in Omaha, NE and the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA.

In re: Glens Falls; there are lots of events like this. Traditionally they've been held in one place and handled a certain way for a long period of time. Could they be "bigger" and more spectacular in a different location? Probably. Should they be moved, or should we be honor tradition and keep them where they are?? There is some magic in the tradition... of course in a larger more centrally located location maybe more folks can enjoy?? Interesting question to ponder.

A couple of events that come to mind are the College World Series in Omaha, NE and the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA.

I played in Glens Falls from 2000-2003, either in the State tournament or the Section 2 finals. I loved that section 2 was the host, but man the court was horrible back then. Dead spots all over the floor and a freezing venue from the hockey rink being below the court.