Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
61zA18YyKML.jpg

Welcome to Dance of the Seven Veils Day!

January 22 is known as Dance of the Seven Veils Day. While this sounds more Middle Eastern than American, one does not need to be in the Middle East to observe this day. One does not even have to be of Middle Eastern ancestry to take part in this observance. Both men and women can take part in the celebration although women usually do the actual dance, while the men watch, as is traditionally done.

Having seven veils or long, loose scarves is essential for the dance. Being an expert on belly dancing is not important here: what is important is the fun in observing a rarely-observed holiday set aside for this purpose.

The seven veils can be of all different colors, either patterned or solid. To complement the costume, a pair of finger cymbals to click while dancing makes for an exotic atmosphere. A formal costume is not necessary, for any pair of long flowing pants will do, along with a bikini bathing suit top. Jewelry doesn’t have to be fancy, either. Lots of gold or silver bangles with rings and anklets top off any quickly assembled costume.

SU News

-9387597dd6a986d3.jpg

Tyler Roberson is in Elite ACC Statistical Company (PS; Ditota)

Tyler Roberson keeps reiterating this season that his primary goal is to stay constant.

The Syracuse basketball forward for much of the pre-ACC season turned in a perplexing series of performances that paired brilliance on one game day with mediocrity on another.

The Evidence:

• The day after he scored 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds in a Syracuse win over Connecticut, Roberson scored six and grabbed four boards against Texas A&M.
  • The day after he scored seven points and had two rebounds against Wisconsin, he scored 15 and had eight rebounds against Georgetown.
Those seesaw performances have for the most part ceased since ACC play began. Aside from one glitch at Miami (5 points, 11 boards), Roberson has stitched together the remnants of a consistent conference season. In ACC play, he averages 12.4 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. Only four players in the ACC — Devin Thomas of Wake Forest, Brice Johnson of North Carolina, Chinanu Onuaku of Louisville and Roberson — average a double-double in conference play.

"I just think I started playing a little better," Roberson said Wednesday as his team prepared for Virginia. "It's what I wanted to do earlier in the year. And now it's happening for me and I just want to keep it going."

He is coming off a career game at Duke, when he scored 14, collected a career-high 20 rebounds and became the first player to ever seize that many missed shots in Cameron Indoor Stadium. But as big and bold as that performance was, it came at the end of a modest streak that underlines his importance to his team.

hi-res-f05eb28fd0783b3e37755e2cf1b68f1c_crop_north.jpg

SU Must Fight to Continue Momentum After Duke Win (the juice; Marcus)

As thrilled as I was when the final buzzer sounded in Monday’s Syracuse-Duke game, I can’t say that it means much.

Not now at least. Yes, the obvious benefits are there. It was a win against a ranked team, it was against Duke, and it gives SU more footing in ACC play. But Syracuse, similar to the rest of the country, is playing some seriously inconsistent basketball.

If SU beats Virginia on Sunday, then we’re talking. But until then, I can’t be sure if this game was a fluke or not.

It was the most anticipated game of the season for me. Some of SU’s best games in the Orange’s brief tenure in the ACC have been against the Blue Devils.

This season though, neither team is at its peak of abilities. Cuse has struggled, and Duke has been unable to repeat last year’s success.

Nonetheless, both teams came to play. I figured SU would lose, because why would I have reason to believe they’d win, besides faith.

As we know, Syracuse won.

Weather Forces Changes to Virginia Men's Basketball Schedule (roanoke.com; Staff)

Projections of a massive snowfall have caused Virginia and the ACC to postpone the UVa men’s basketball game with Syracuse that originally was planned for Saturday at noon.

Tipoff has been moved to Sunday at 7 p.m. and the game will be televised by ESPN2.

The Cavaliers’ game at Wake Forest, scheduled for Monday at 9 p.m., has been moved to Tuesday at 7 p.m. That game will be aired on ESPN3.

A 1 p.m. Sunday women’s basketball game between UVa and Pittsburgh at John Paul Jones Arena will be played as scheduled.

fri3am.jpg

Hour by Hour Projection of the Virginia Winter Storm (photo gallery; wtvr.com)

Other

laguardia-renderingjpg-1848a8db42ecd8ef.jpg

Billions Have Been Proposed to Re-Build LaGuardia Airport

Upstate NY Shortchanged Again in Cuomo's State of the State (PS; Rubin)

David M. Rubin, former dean of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, is a regular columnist for Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard. Email him at dmrubin.

At least Gov. Andrew Cuomo was correct about one issue in his recent State of the State address. "The cold truth," he admitted, "is that this state government shortchanged Upstate New York for many years. And that was short-sighted."

He might have added, "So I intend to keep shortchanging them."

That is the only conclusion one can reach in poring over his typically self-congratulatory speech. Most of his attention and money were focused squarely on the New York City area to fund multi-billion dollar transportation and infrastructure projects, all aimed at making the area livable and economically competitive. The rest of the state will continue to play his favorite game -- "In Andrew's Shark Tank" -- as we compete for chum in the state budget.

For New York City, Cuomo proposed billions for the subway system; billions for a new LaGuardia Airport; billions for the Long Island Railroad and Metro North; billions for a new rail-tunnel link to New Jersey; billions to rebuild Penn Station; billions to modernize the Javits Convention Center. Get the picture?

Green is fun to watch. Has a lot of Kemba Walker in him though he is a lot more advanced than Kemba was as a junior in HS. Great body control, outstanding quickness and agility. He is a genius using his body to protect the ball. Great handle, terrific passer, wonderful penetrator. Then of course there is his outside shooting, which is outstanding. Gets his shot off incredibly fast and has perfect form, which allows him to be effective against much bigger players.

Really like his game. If he comes, we will run and many points will be scored. Might be the biggest dropoff in height from one starting PG to another in the history of college basketball as well...

Green is fun to watch. Has a lot of Kemba Walker in him though he is a lot more advanced than Kemba was as a junior in HS. Great body control, outstanding quickness and agility. He is a genius using his body to protect the ball. Great handle, terrific passer, wonderful penetrator. Then of course there is his outside shooting, which is outstanding. Gets his shot off incredibly fast and has perfect form, which allows him to be effective against much bigger players.

Really like his game. If he comes, we will run and many points will be scored. Might be the biggest dropoff in height from one starting PG to another in the history of college basketball as well...

I'm of the mindset that PG is the one position where you should recruit talent, and not get too hung up on size. Green is tiny [sub 6 feet], but the kid really pushes the ball and can shoot. Plus, he plays in a tough team against a national caliber schedule. He'll come in more ready than most recruits, and as we know Philly kids play with a lot of toughness.

Would love to land him.

I'm of the mindset that PG is the one position where you should recruit talent, and not get too hung up on size. Green is tiny [sub 6 feet], but the kid really pushes the ball and can shoot. Plus, he plays in a tough team against a national caliber schedule. He'll come in more ready than most recruits, and as we know Philly kids play with a lot of toughness.

Would love to land him.
Give me top Philly PGs all day long.