Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
near-miss.jpg

Welcome to Near Miss Day!

Near Miss Day commemorates the day a huge Asteroid nearly missed hitting the earth.

On March 23, 1989, an asteroid the size of a mountain, came within 500,000 miles of a collision with Earth. In interstellar terms, it was a near miss. Had it collided with the Earth, it would have left a devastating crater the size of Washington, D.C. It's affect on the planet would have been catastrophic. Since then, there have been other near misses.

...Whew!!

Near misses with large, potentially life threatening galactic objects happens on an infrequent basis. It is believed a large asteroid collided with the earth and caused the extinction of dinosaurs. Scientists believe it is only a matter of time before another catastrophic collision with Earth. But, don't worry. The odds are it will not happen for a long, long time.

SU News

usa-today-8908418.0.jpg

The Russell Wilson-Eric Dungey Comparison (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The information coming out of Syracuse Orange football spring practice has slowed to a bit of a trickle of late. As widespread change gives way to adjusting to the new normal, we're left with small observations in the lead-up to April's spring game.

Today presented a few of those, by way of Syracuse.com's Nate Mink. First, the depth chart is constantly fluctuating and according to Dino Babers, it's unlikely to be truly settled until the first game. Second, Coach Babers has little to do with non-conference scheduling. Though "someone" does. As he explained, briefly:

"They come by my office every blue moon and say either A or B. If they want my opinion I give it to them. If not, that's their job."

I have questions:

• Who's "they?"
  • I'll volunteer to be "they" for free.
  • Who was "A" in this case? Was that Alabama? Oh God...
  • Who was "B" in this case? Was that just referring to the Crimson Tide as "Bama?" Bowling Green, maybe?
More on this at some later date. Hoping these questions mean that things are happening behind the scenes and we can finally put an end to the gaping holes in the 2017 and 2018 schedules (among others).

usa-today-8817899.0.jpg

SU Football 2016 Spring Preview: The Secondary Has to be Better, Right? (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Perhaps you've forgotten all about the Syracuse Orange football team while both the men's and women's basketball teams are in the Sweet 16. Can't blame you, really. But nonetheless, we've got a football team wrapping up spring practice pretty soon, and there's plenty to discuss.

Continuing going position-by-position, we get to today's big topic:

Syracuse's defensive backs struggled mightily last year, so they have to improve... right?
Who's on campus?

Plenty of experience, which is hopefully a good thing. Antwan Cordy, Juwan Dowels,Cordell Hudson, Chauncey Scissum, Wayne Morgan and Corey Winfield are among the biggest names, all with starts under their respective belts. But they're joined by plenty more. Rodney Williams, Eric Anthony, Daivon Ellison and Kielan Whitner all gained plenty of experience themselves due to a litany of injuries over the past couple years. Beyond them, Christopher Fredrick and Joe Stanard also wait in the wings -- the former coming off a redshirt freshman season and with high hopes on being part of a solution for this secondary.

If you're lumping in the "nickelback" position here, rather than with the linebackers, that adds Jonathan Thomas and Ted Taylor to this list too. We spoke about them last week a bunch, however, so we'll keep it to the known quantities at DB this time around.

Other

beaver-trapping.gif

Beaver Dam Exploded in Oswego County (PS; Sturtz)

Dozens of people across several Oswego County towns reported hearing and feeling an explosion Tuesday night that rattled windows.

Oswego County 911 said it received multiple calls about a possible explosion, but the matter was determined to be non-emergency in nature.

State troopers from the Pulaski barracks responded to a location in the town of New Haven where a subject was trying to dismantle a beaver dam, 911 said, which was apparently the noise and shaking people reported. Dispatchers had no other information.

Firefighters searched roads in the towns of Mexico and New Haven for signs of an explosion. After about an hour a dispatcher reported that someone had called and said they had set off Tannerite.

When hit by a high velocity bullet the substance causes a chemical reaction that makes water vapor and a thunderous boom. Tannerite is used as an indicator for target practice.

Megan James lives on Miner Road in the town of Scriba. James, a nursing student at Crouse Hospital College of Nursing, was studying for a test around Tuesday night.

"And out of nowhere I heard and felt a huge bang," she said. "My entire house shook and it sounded like someone was either breaking in or drove a car into the side of the house."

Last edited:
I would say that this video is the best produced video of its kind that I have ever seen.

Not just for Syracuse. For any school. Color me extremely impressed.
Hard for the message to be anymore clear. Come to Syracuse. You'll put up gaudy stats and get noticed.

We aren't one of the six this year. Duke, Clemson, Wake, FSU, Miami and GT

I would say that this video is the best produced video of its kind that I have ever seen.

Not just for Syracuse. For any school. Color me extremely impressed.
Ditto.
These guys keep hitting home runs at every turn. Feels so good to have some outright competence and vision in the program!
Now let me find the nearest wall so I can run through it!!! LGO

We aren't one of the six this year. Duke, Clemson, Wake, FSU, Miami and GT
Wake? They should get like 12 TV's to tune in for that.

Listed at 4,553 attendance in 2015, we had an even 4,000 (stretched). I'm just amazed that Wake is getting their Spring Game televised.

Wake? They should get like 12 TV's to tune in for that.

Listed at 4,553 attendance in 2015, we had an even 4,000 (stretched). I'm just amazed that Wake is getting their Spring Game televised.
They rotate them each year.