Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1687868578423.jpeg

Welcome to National Sunglasses Day!

Celebrated each year on June 27th, National Sunglasses Day gains popularity each year. Organizations like The Vision Council is one of the reasons. They inform people about the dangers of UV exposure and why wearing sunglasses should be more than to just make a fashion statement.

SU News

LeQuint Allen files lawsuit against Syracuse University after issued suspension (DO; Alandt)

Syracuse running back LeQuint Allen filed a lawsuit against Syracuse University Monday afternoon after the university suspended him for the upcoming summer and fall semesters.

SU’s suspension stems from an on-campus fight that took place last December on the university’s South Campus, according to syracuse.com. The suspension would bar him from participating in the upcoming season.

“I take full responsibility for all of my actions and will take any and all steps to stay here at Syracuse University,” Allen said in a statement during his formal hearing with the university’s Office of Community Standards.

Allen, who started in place of Sean Tucker in the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl two weeks after the incident, appealed the suspension with the school after both an informal and formal hearing. New York State Supreme Court Judge Robert Antonacci temporarily paused the suspension until Allen’s July 19 court date just three hours after the lawsuit was filed. The lawsuit was filed using the pseudonym “John Doe,” which syracuse.com later learned was Allen.

In a Dec. 11 affidavit, Allen said he punched a man in “self-defense” after he was hit twice in the face. A teammate had told Allen that he was injured outside a party at the University Village Apartments, which spurred the incident. Records show that when the teammate and Allen returned to the party, a man yelled at them and accused them of hitting a woman.

Allen said in the lawsuit that once the man punched him once on the side of his face and once on his nose, he punched the man back in the face. A Syracuse Police Department spokesperson said Allen was charged with third-degree assault after the man picked Allen’s photo out of a lineup. Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick confirmed to syracuse.com that the running back was charged with misdemeanor assault and that the case was settled with an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal — meaning that the case was sealed and will be removed from his record if he stays out of trouble for six months.

SU star running back, suspended for season for fight, sues school to return to field (PS; $; Leiker & Hayes)

Syracuse University’s star running back went to court Monday to overturn a season-long suspension for his involvement in an on-campus fight last December.

LeQuint Allen, in line to be the school’s next football star, filed a lawsuit Monday afternoon against the university after the school suspended him for the upcoming summer and fall semesters.

Three hours after Allen’s lawsuit was filed, New York State Supreme Court Judge Robert Antonacci issued a temporary pause on the suspension until a July 19 court date.

Allen appealed the suspension with the school after both an informal and formal hearing before taking the matter to court.

“A suspension equates to an expulsion for me,” Allen states in an affidavit.

The lawsuit does not name Allen, referring to him as “John Doe.” Syracuse.com has learned that it is Allen.

The sophomore emerged as the heir to Sean Tucker as the team’s starting running back and capped his freshman season with a strong performance in SU’s bowl game.

Allen’s suspension stems from his involvement in a fight at an apartment building on SU’s South Campus on Dec. 11.

638bffa529b46.image.jpg

A scene from the Northern Highlands-Millville HS state Group IV championsihp game at SHI Stadium in Piscataway on December 3, 2022. MHS #11 Ta'Ron Haile on the run.

Millville football standout commits to Syracuse (pressofatlanticcity.com; McGarry)

The ties between the Millville High School and Syracuse University football teams got a little deeper Monday night.
Thunderbolts defensive back/wide receiver Ta’Ron Haile announced via Twitter that he has committed to attend Syracuse on an NCAA Division I scholarship.

Haile, who will be a senior in the fall, helped Millville win the state Group IV title last season. He made 43 tackles and intercepted two passes. Haile also caught 48 passes for 677 yards and was named a first-team Press All-Star.

I will be committing to Syracuse University!!! @CoachBabersCuse @CoachDT_Cuse @WRCoachmj @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/1oD1i0BKQi
— Ta’Ron Haile || 3⭐️ (@taronh80) June 26, 2023

Haile will join a former teammate, LeQuint Allen, and a former coach, Dennis Thomas, at Syracuse.

Allen, the 2021 Press Player of the Year, rushed for 274 yards as a freshman running back for Syracuse last fall.

Thomas was Millville’s head coach from 2015-21. He finished with a 52-24 record. After spending last fall an an assistant at Rutgers University, he joined the Syracuse staff as the school’s director of high school relations this past winter.

Millville is again expected to be one of the state’s top teams during the upcoming season. Millville will open the season Aug. 25 against defending state Group V champion Toms River North in a Battle at the Beach showcase game in Ocean City.

Syracuse lands WR Ta'Ron Haile (247sports.com; Dohn)

The connection to Syracuse is natural for Ta'Ron Haile.

Not only is his former Millville (N.J.) High coach Dennis Thomas is the Orange's director of high school relations, but former teammate LeQuint Allen is a running back at the ACC program, so Haile's comfort level is high.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Haile announced his commitment Monday night, which was the third of the day for the Orange.

"What stood out the most to me about Syracuse was the environment," Haile said. "The coaches and the players, they all get along well and everybody is cool with each other. There are things to do around the campus outside of football and there’s a lot to do involving football."

As a junior, Haile had 48 catches for 680 yards and three touchdowns. He also made 18 tackles and intercepted two passes, but the Orange recruited him to play on offense and his connection with receivers coach Michael Johnson.

"Coach Johnson teaches football, in general, very well," Haile said. "He taught me a couple things when I was up there. I think their scheme is similar to what I do now at my high school. I think I will fit in their scheme perfect."

Virginia DB Matthews-Canty commits to Syracuse (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s recruiting train keeps chugging along as a busy June nears its end.

The Orange earned its 14th commitment for its 2024 class Monday from defensive back Michael Matthews-Canty. Matthews-Canty was offered by SU on May 22 and made an official visit the weekend of June 9.

He is currently unranked in the 247 Sports Composite, which aggregates and averages rankings from a number of recruiting sites.

I will be committing to Syracuse University!!! Go Orange!!! pic.twitter.com/SU5CQBXYN1
— Michael Matthews-Canty (@9k_mike) June 26, 2023

Matthews-Canty (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) plays at St. Michael the Archangel Catholic in Fredericksburg, Virginia. He also had offers from Appalachian State, Charlotte, Liberty, Temple, Towson and the Virginia Military Institute.

He plays both safety and linebacker per his Twitter bio. He also plays wide receiver.

SU’s class is currently ranked No. 39 per the 247 Sports Composite. It is the 11th-best class in the ACC.

The Orange could earn up to two more commitments Monday as prospects Willie Goodacre and Ta’Ron Haile are set to make their commitments at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively.

Here’s a look at all the current members of Syracuse’s 2024 class.

Offensive lineman Willie Goodacre from state semifinalist Denton Guyer commits to Syracuse (dallasnews.com; Riddle)

Syracuse hasn’t landed a recruit from the Dallas area in several years, but that changed Monday when Denton Guyer three-star offensive lineman Willie Goodacre committed to the Orange.

The last local product to sign with Syracuse was McKinney North three-star quarterback Dillon Markiewicz for the Class of 2020.

Goodacre (6-5, 300) is rated the fifth-best offensive lineman in the Dallas area for the Class of 2024, and he is the 37th-best overall recruit. He narrowed his choices down to Arizona State, Cal, Houston, Kansas, Syracuse and Tulane in early June, then had Kansas and Syracuse as his two finalists.

Goodacre moved from the defensive line to the offensive line as a sophomore in 2021 and helped Guyer to a state runner-up finish in Class 6A Division II that season. Last year, Goodacre was part of a 14-1 state semifinalist team that ranked third in the area in scoring (46 points per game) and fourth in total offense (456.33 yards per game) among 6A teams.

Goodacre is the 14th player to commit to Syracuse for the Class of 2024, and he is the 10th three-star recruit in that group. Syracuse has the 41st-best recruiting class in the nation, according to 247Sports.

Syracuse Football: SU lands prediction for 4-star defensive back from N.J. (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football recently made the top seven of 2024 four-star defensive back/athlete Willy Love from New Jersey, and the Orange has also picked up an analyst prediction in Love’s recruitment.

Earlier this month, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound defensive back/linebacker/wide receiver disclosed via Twitter a top seven of the ‘Cuse, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M and West Virginia.

Big Ten Conference member Rutgers has received some analyst buzz in Love’s recruiting process on various recruiting Web sites, with 247Sports national analyst Brian Dohn logging a prediction in the direction of the Scarlet Knights for Love back in early May.

Blessed and grateful for every coach that have extended scholarship offers to me which is always a blessing to come but with that being said I will be focusing on these Seven lucky Schools….Where’s home? @Beastupacademy @NextLevelQBs @RivalsFriedman @247Sports pic.twitter.com/gX02sEcqKo
— willy love (@iiiamwilly_) June 14, 2023

However, in recent days, a projection arrived in the Orange’s direction for Love on .

While this is encouraging for Syracuse football, Love did say in a recent interview that he’s taking his time with his recruitment, so by no means is it a guarantee that he will ultimately choose the ‘Cuse.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...cess-in-deep-2024-new-jersey-recruiting-class (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football is up to 15 players in its 2024 class after a flurry of commitments in the month of June. One of the primary reasons for the Orange's success so far this cycle are its efforts in the talent rich state of New Jersey. Syracuse leads the nation with six players committed from the state. Interestingly, Stanford is second with four commitments from the Garden State.

But what does having six commitments really mean? How good is this New Jersey class compared to past cycles? We took a look at the last 10 cycles in the state for some context.

Some notes on the numbers in the table below:

1. The ratings/rankings are from 247Sports.

2. The "1st 85" category is based on the rating number assigned to each recruit. Five stars are the top 32 players in a class, four stars are 90 and above from the 33rd best player on, three stars are 80-89. I picked 85, the midway point of three star prospects, as a way of gauging the depth of the higher rated three stars. The higher the number for 1st 85, the deeper the class. For example, if it says 27th, it means the 27th best player in the state is the first player rated an 85. That means 1-26 are rated 86 and above.

Syracuse nabs 3 commitments in single day with addition of Haile (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football scored a recruiting hat trick Monday.

The Orange earned three commitments following the final weekend of June official visits from defensive back Michael Matthews-Canty, offensive tackle Willie Goodacre and, this evening, wide receiver Ta’Ron Haile.

Haile (6-foot-1, 180 pounds) is a 3-star who plays at Millville High School in Millville, New Jersey, the same high school SU sophomore running back LeQuint Allen attended.

He’s the sixth player from the Garden State to pledge to the Orange’s 2024 class. According to the 247 Sports Composite, he’s the No. 15 player in New Jersey.

Syracuse football: It’s early but the recruiting is encouraging (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange picked up their highest related commitment of the 2024 class and things feel a bit different when they did at the start of 2023. Losing Tony White, Nick Monroe and others from the staff caused a lot of concern among fans, especially on the heels of the 2023 class ranking in the 70s.

It’s approaching July and Syracuse has a class ranked in the 40s, even with five new coaches on the staff. The Orange have landed two four-star players, both of whom rank in the top 25 of Syracuse recruits in the 247 era. Things haven’t been all rosy (two New York targets have committed elsewhere), but Syracuse has won recruiting battles in New Jersey, Georgia, and Indiana. They have beaten out Big 10 and ACC programs and they’ve pulled a couple of surprises along the way.

NCAA Football: North Carolina State at Syracuse
Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

Does it mean anything now? Yes, in fact it does. It certainly gives the program some momentum heading into the summer. It shows that recruits are buying the vision being laid out to them during visits, that they can see what the Lally Complex improvements could mean for their development, and it gives fans some hope that the staff can be competitive on the recruiting trail.

Jakhari Williams, Rivals' Number 5 QB In 2024, Commits To Syracuse Football! (youtube.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football has had an unbelievable few weeks on the recruiting trails. For the second straight week, Cuse has received a commitment from a four-star player in the 2024 class. How good is Jakhari Williams? What does this mean for the future? Can this save Dino's career at Syracuse?

College football recruiting: Alliance's Brendan Zurbrugg flips commitment to Northwestern (cantonrep.com; Holland Jr)

A week ago, Alliance High School quarterback Brendan Zurbrugg looked forward to wearing a Syracuse Orange uniform. But now he's choosing purple.

On Monday afternoon, Zurbrugg announced on social media he flipped his college football commitment from Syracuse to Northwestern.

"First and foremost, I want to thank God for blessing me with my talents and abilities. Without him, I wouldn't be where I am today," Zurbrugg wrote on Twitter. "I want to thank all my coaches for developing me into the player I've become. I also want to thank Coach (Pat) Fitzgerald, Coach (Mike) Bajakian, and the whole Northwestern staff for believing in me. Go Cats."

Syracuse Adds 2024 4-Star QB Jakhari Williams (orangefizz.net; Simone)

For the second time in a week, Syracuse has secured a commitment from a class of 2024 quarterback. This time, it’s Jakhari Williams, a four star, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings.

Williams 6’2 188 pounds from Macon, Georgia. The composite rankings list him as the 16th best quarterback in the class and 330th best player in the country. Williams also had offers from Pitt, NC State and UCF, among many others. He originally committed to Georgia Tech before reopening his recruitment.

If Syracuse is able to close the deal come signing day next year, this is a huge get for the Orange. SU lost a four star quarterback in the 2023 cycle when LaNorris Sellers flipped to South Carolina on signing day.

As a junior, Williams completed just under 60 percent of his passes for 2,384 yards, 21 touchdowns. He also ran for 1,018 yards and 14 touchdowns. He’s listed as a dual threat quarterback, and his numbers back it up.

Williams is the second quarterback commit for Syracuse in his class. Brandon Zurbrugg, who was unranked before committing to SU, is now a three star prospect and the 64th ranked player at his position in 2024.

Williams and Zurbrugg will join a quarterback room that will have a lot less stability than it does now. Garrett Sharder is out of eligibility after this coming season, leaving Carlos Del Rio-Wilson and Braden Davis as the two other options.

Syracuse stays hot on the recruiting trail (cbssports; video; Finneral)

247Sports' James Finneral discusses recent additions to Syracuse's 2024 recruiting class.

Mike McAllister "The 315" 6-26-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Mike McAllister, publisher for Syracuse on SI, joins Brian Higgins to recap a busy recruiting weekend for Syracuse football and two more commitments landed today as well as QB Brendan Zurbrugg choosing to take back his verbal commitment to the Orange.

Keeping Up With The 315 6-26-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins opens the show discussing the big day of news in football recruiting and what to make of the Orange’s strong start to the 2024 cycle. Then, he discusses where Red Autry fulfilled a childhood dream over the weekend. Finally, Brian gives away some tickets with a trivia question that stumps a couple callers and talks about the latest transfer portal add for Syracuse men’s lacrosse.

ACC News

https://www.si.com/college/pittsbur...j-devonshire-marquis-williams-acc-best-cb-duo (SI; Thompson)

The Pitt Panthers lost a ton of talent to the NFL Draft this past season, but they can comfortably say they are more than set at cornerback.

According to Pro Football Focus' season grades, the Panthers will return one of the best cornerback duos in the ACC in Marquis Williams and M.J. Devonshire. Pitt is one of just three schools in the league to bring back two corners who ranked in the top 10 of season grades last season and the only team with a pairing that both have grades of 75 or higher.

Virginia Tech and Florida State are the only other teams in the league to return a pair of top-10 graded corners. Williams, who earned an 80.8 overall grade, was the No. 4 cornerback in the ACC last season and Devonshire, with a grade of 77, clocked in at No. 7.

Williams and Devonshire, alongside fellow co-starter A.J. Woods, spearheaded a Pitt pass defense that allowed the 15th-lowest opponent completion percentage while facing the 25th-most passing attempts of any defense in the country.

247Sports names Clemson's biggest trap game in 2023 (usatoday.com; Turri)

The 2023 season could be a massive one for Dabo Swinney and the Clemson football program, as they have the pieces to make a return to the college football playoff.

A lot of work needs to be done for the Tigers to make it back, most of which revolves around starting quarterback Cade Klubnik, offensive coordinator Garrett Riley and the Tigers’ offense. If this offense takes the next step and players in each position group take the next step, Clemson could be a force next season.

The potential is there for this offense and the team as a whole, as they have the talent to run the table. To do so, they’ll have to get through some tough opponents.

247Sports recently named the biggest trap game for ACC football teams in 2023, with North Carolina named as the Tigers’ biggest trap game. Here is what writer Grant Hughes had to say about the matchup.

CLEMSON: VS. NORTH CAROLINA (NOV. 18)
The Tigers thumped the Tar Heels in the ACC Championship Game last season, but UNC returns Heisman hopeful Drake Maye, making anything possible when Mack Brown and company roll into Death Valley in 2023.
The Tar Heels added the portal’s No. 2 wide receiver in Kent State transfer Devontez Walker, who could pose a problem for a Clemson defense that ranked No. 8 in the ACC against the pass last season. UNC also made a significant change at offensive coordinator, hiring Chip Lindsey, whose UCF Knights finished No. 11 in the nation in total offense last season (480.6 ypg.).
Like the Tigers, the Tar Heels made a change at offensive coordinator this offseason and will look to compete at the highest level. While they added a good bit, UNC lost their two top wide receivers, with one being superstar Josh Downs, who was recently drafted by the Indianapolis Colts.

The last time these two faced, Clemson put a 39-10 beatdown on the Tar Heels in the 2022 ACC Championship. Could 2023 be different?

College Football Win Totals: ACC Win Totals Analysis (rotowire.com; Dobish)

We're heading into the summer, and we're closing in on the 2023 NCAA Football regular season. Before you know it, Week Zero will be kicking off on the weekend of Saturday, Aug. 26, and we'll be underway, as the Georgia Bulldogs begin its defense of the national championship.

We'll take a look at some of the best bets in terms of regular-season win totals. After a very busy transfer portal window, spring practices and more signings, we can begin to look at schedules and try and figure out some long-term futures plays like win totals. Unlike past seasons, teams which were gold the previous season can fall off, and non-contenders can improve in a hurry with the right moves. That's the quickly changing landscape of college football. So don't put a lot of stock in even last season's numbers.

Boston College Eagles Win Totals (5.5 at BetMGM)

Head coach Jeff Hafley is looking to rebound after a dismal 3-win campaign in 2022. Again, teams can improve in the blink of an eye via the portal, but teams can also get worse, too. The team lost QB Phil Jurkovec to portal, and to make matters worse, he left for ACC rival Pittsburgh. You know the BC defenders will have the Thursday, November 16 trip to the Steel City circled on the calendar.

The Eagles should get off to a decent start, with winnable games at Alumni Stadium against MAC representative Northern Illinois, as well as FCS foe Holy Cross. However, things get real in a hurry, including a visit from Florida State, and a difficult road trip to Louisville. The good news is that Clemson, NC State and North Carolina aren't on the schedule.

It could be a bumpy season, as redshirt freshman QB Emmett Morehead is likely to have plenty of growing pains as he adjusts to life under center. On defense, this is a team that allowed 30.3 points per game in 2022, and it was gouged for huge chunks of real estate while trying to stop the run. There weren't a lot of big additions on that side of the ball, so the struggles should continue.

Boston College Win Totals Best Bet

• UNDER 5.5 WINS (-105 at BetMGM)
The BetMGM Massachusetts bonus code gets new customers located in Massachusetts a $1,000 welcome bonus.

Duke Blue Devils Win Totals (6.5 at BetMGM)

Head coach Mike Elko did a tremendous job, turning a 3-win team from 2021 into a 9-win team in 2022. QB Riley Leonard is back, and he'll have All-ACC OT Graham Barton protecting his backside again. The good news is that a much-improved defense will be mostly intact heading into the fall.

However, there is also bad news, and that comes courtesy of the schedule maker. The Clemson Tigers invade Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham on Labor Day night in a nationally-televised game, and Duke also hosts NC State, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh, while traveling to face the conference favorites Florida State, as well as rival North Carolina. If Duke can simply attain bowl eligibility with his killer schedule, it would be amazing, and the defense will certainly do its part. But expect a big backslide after last season's 9-win campaign and Military Bowl blowout win over UCF.

Duke Win Totals Best Bet

• Under 6.5 (-105 at BetMGM)

Florida State Win Totals (9.5 at FanDuel)

The Seminoles have some giant expectations, and Florida State is picked to win the conference by plenty of talking heads. The books are also very bullish on the prospects of FSU winning the regular season title, and the Seminoles are also dotting the predictions as a potential playoff team.

QB Jordan Travis is back to lead a high-octane offense, and he'll have WR Johnny Wilson back as his downfield threat. WR/TE Jaheim Bell comes over from South Carolina to improve the receiving room, while the team bolstered the O-line through the portal. RB Trey Benson could have some even bigger holes to run through after bursting onto the scene in 2022. On defense, DE Jared Verse surprisingly eschewed the NFL for another run in Tally.

The schedule begins with a neutral-site showdown on Sunday, September 3 in Orlando against LSU in a potential top-10 matchup. FSU also heads to the upstate to battle Clemson on Sept. 23. It should still be at least 3-1 through the first four games, and after that, the schedule lightens up significantly.

Florida State has very winnable conference game trips to Boston College, Pittsburgh and Wake Forest, and a season-ending trip to Gainesville to battle the rival Florida Gators. But FSU gets Miami at home, and the rest of the home schedule looks to be a cakewalk, with Duke, Southern Miss, Syracuse and Virginia Tech on the slate, as well as FCS North Alabama. It would be a major upset if this team doesn't hit double-digits in regular-season victories for head coach Mike Norvell.

Florida State Win Totals Best Bet

• OVER 9.5 WINS (-134 at FanDuel)

Pittsburgh Panthers Win Totals (7.0 at FanDuel)

The Panthers have some giant holes to fill on both sides of the ball. Pittsburgh's offense will have a new look, as QB Kedon Slovis has moved on, replaced by former Boston College signal caller Jurkovec. Head coach Pat Narduzzi has been a bit of a quarterback whisperer lately, bringing some top-notch talent to the Steel City. The Panthers have a giant hole to fill with RB Israel Abanikanda moving to the NFL, although RB Rodney Hammond could potentially be just as good, if not better.

The Panthers also lost WR Jared Wayne from the offense, while the team has to replace big-time defensive performers LB SirVocea Dennis and DL Calijah Kancey, among others.

Like Duke, the schedule maker wasn't terribly kind to the Panthers, either, including a pair of dangerous games against West Virginia and Tennessee to kick off the campaign. The good news for Pitt is that it avoids both Clemson and Florida State, as well as NC State. However, trips to Louisville, Miami and North Carolina certainly are no bargain, and a non-conference trip to Western Michigan early in the season could be challenging, too.

Pittsburgh Panthers Win Totals Best Bet

• UNDER 7 WINS (-105 at BetMGM)

WATCH: Graham Neff talks Clemson in athletics arms race, state of the ACC (tigernet.com; podcast; Mac Lain & Gramlich)

Former Clemson athletes and ACC Network personalities Eric Mac Lain and Kelly Gramlich hosted Tigers athletic director Graham Neff on their podcast recently to talk the latest with Clemson and college sports.

They hit on:

- Clemson keeping up with the athletics facilities arms race.

- Garrett's Riley's hire (and a potential Kenny Chesney concert to come in Death Valley?).

- Pros and cons of the ACC at this moment (32-minute mark and on).

- Effect of realignment on college sports.

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/football/2023-position-breakdown-ol (SI; McGavic)

As we inch closer to the start of the 2023 college football season, Louisville Report will break down each individual position on the Cardinals' roster. Next in our positional breakdown series, we take at look at the offensive line.

Position Roster Movement:

Returning (8): Joshua Black, Renato Brown, Austin Collins, Michael Gonzalez, Makhete Gueye, Bryan Hudson, Izaiah Reed, Sam Secrest

Departing (6): Adonis Boone (Graduation), Max Cabana (Transfer - Universite Laval), Caleb Chandler (Graduation), Aaron Gunn (Transfer - James Madison), Luke Kandra (Transfer- Cincinnati), Trevor Reid (Graduation)

Incoming (9): Luke Burgess (HS), Joe Crocker (HS), John Paul Flores (Transfer - Virginia), Vincent Lumia (Transfer - Duquesne), Eric Miller (Transfer - Purdue), Lance Robinson (Transfer - Houston), Madden Sanker (HS), Trevonte Sylvester (Transfer - Houston), Willie Tyler (Rutgers)

Projected Depth Chart:

Left Tackle
  1. Eric Miller (6-7, 305, R-Sr.)
  2. Willie Tyler (6-6, 320, R-Sr.)
  3. Luke Burgess (6-8, 300, Fr.)
  4. Trevonte Sylvester (6-5, 290, R-So.)
Left Guard
  1. John Paul Flores (6-4, 305, R-Sr.)
  2. Madden Sanker (6-4, 310, Fr.)
  3. Izaiah Reed (6-5, 295, R-Fr.)
Center
  1. Bryan Hudson (6-4, 305, R-Sr.)
  2. Austin Collins (6-3, 290, R-So.)
  3. Sam Secrest (6-6, 305, R-Fr.)
Right Guard
  1. Michael Gonzalez (6-4, 305, Jr.)
  2. Joshua Black (6-2, 280, R-Jr.)
  3. Makhete Gueye (6-7, 300, R-Fr.)
Right Tackle
  1. Renato Brown (6-4, 315, R-Jr.)
  2. Lance Robinson (6-4, 295, R-Sr)
  3. Vincent Lumia (6-3, 290, Sr.)
  4. Joe Crocker (6-7, 310, Fr.)

Breakdown:

This time last year, Louisville's offensive line was viewed as arguably the strongest unit on the entire team. Not only were they coming off of a 2021 campaign in which they ranked 25th in the FBS in tackles for loss allowed per game and 31st in sacks allowed, they were set to lose only one regular starter from this group.

As for how the offensive line as a whole actually performed during the 2022 season, from a statistical standpoint, they weren't nearly as dominant as the year before. By the end of the season, Louisville had allowed 2.08 sacks and 5.77 tackles for loss per game. The latter ranked 74th in FBS, while the former was 64th out of 130 FBS teams. Not great, not terrible, just average if not slightly disappointing.

However, some of the sacks that were allowed last season were coverage sacks, due to the fact that the passing game struggle last season and a lot of the receivers simply couldn't generate consistant separation. According to Pro Football Focus, Louisville's pass block grade of 70.7 for the season was good for 39th in FBS. Much better than the sack rate suggests.

Plus, the line was pretty good as opening holes for the running backs as well. Considering Louisville was down to their No. 4 and 5 backs by the end of the season, the Cardinals still averaged the 23rd-most rushing yards per game at 200.6. PFF also backs up the line's prowess in the running game, as their run blocking season grade of 67.5 was good for 34th.

But unlike last offseason, Louisville is losing more than just one impact player on the line. Three starters in former All-American Caleb Chandler, Adonis Boone and Trevor Reid all graduated, plus Luke Kandra - an impact reserve who was in line to start - entered the portal.

That being said, Louisville is set to have an offensive line that, when everything is said and done, could be one of the best in the ACC. Not only did the Cardinals retain a handful of talent, but new head coach Jeff Brohm did a phenomenal job of navigating the transfer portal following spring ball.

The offensive line will undoubtedly be headlined by center Bryan Hudson. He was PFF's third-highest rated offensive guard in the ACC with a rating of 76.9, and the league's second-highest rated center behind NC State's Grant Gibson, who is now in the NFL. Out of 462 pass block snaps and 914 total offensive snaps, Hudson allowed only 14 pressures all season, and was tabbed as a Second-Team All-ACC selection. On a line where there is a lot of turnover from last season, having the man in the middle be the most experienced is a huge boost.

Deep Purple: As we wait for Pac-12 news, Fitz examines life after an ACC apocalypse (247sports.com; podcast; Fitzgerald)

GoPowercat publisher Tim Fitzgerald delivers some in-depth thoughts on issues concerning Kansas State athletics and the sports world. Here is what is on today's agenda:

Fitz returns with another edition Deep Purple. As he waits for news from the Pac-12, he looks ahead at the possible breakup of the ACC in the future and how certain schools may find new homes in the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12.

Editor's Note: During portions of this episode, Fitz says "ACC" instead of "AAU." We don't think he suffered a stroke, but we are encouraging him not to record past 11 p.m. in the future. He's simply too old. :)

Four-Star CB Zion Ferguson Flips To ACC School After Decommitting From LSU (tigerdroppings.com; Staff)

Former LSU commit Zion Ferguson flipped his verbal pledge to North Carolina on Sunday.

The four-star cornerback from Loganville, Ga., originally committed to LSU in September of 2022.

His departure gives LSU 17 verbal commitments for the class of 2024.The Tigers have four-star corners Ondre Evans and Wallace Foster on board for the 2024 class.

2023 NCAA Championships by P5 (RX; HM)

2023 NCAA Championships by P5

How many NCAA championships did the teams in each power conference win?

With the SEC guaranteed to win baseball, here are the most NCAA team national championships by conference in 2022-23.

ACC (9)
Pac-12 (8)
SEC (7)
Big 12 (4)
Big Ten (3)

2022 Scoring Offense/Defense (RX; HM)

2022 Scoring Offense/Defense

How did ACC offenses do when it comes to scoring? We briefly touched on this in our article "2023 Point Differentials", but today we're going to dive in a little deeper...

OffenseTD/gmFG/gmPPG
Wake4.80.936.1
Florida St4.80.936.1
N Carolina4.51.134.4
Clemson4.11.433.2
Duke4.21.332.8
Pitt3.81.531.3
Syracuse3.31.527.7
Louisville3.21.526.9
NC State2.52.224.3
Miami2.81.423.6
Va Tech2.50.819.3
BC2.30.817.8
Ga Tech2.01.217.2
Virginia2.01.117.0

The Wake Forest and Florida State offenses both kept up a pace of 4.8 (almost 5!) touchdowns per game last year. The added a field goal per game to get the average score up over 36 points per game (ppg). North Carolina wasn't far behind at 4.5 TDs and 34.4 ppg. Clemson, Duke, and Pitt all joined them in scoring over 30 points on average.

2023 Neutral-Site Games (RX; HM)

2023 Neutral-Site Games

2023 will feature lots of ACC football neutral site games - more, perhaps, than ever before? Nine ACC teams will play in six such games, including a pair of ACC conference match-ups (something virtually unheard of in the past). The whole thing will be kicked off by a game feature the Notre Dame Fighting Irish against the Navy Midshipmen... in Ireland!

2023 ACC Neutral Site Games

AER LINGUS CFB CLASSICAug. 26, 2023
NavyNotre DameAviva Stadium
Dublin, Ireland
CHICK-FIL-A KICKOFF GAMESep. 1, 2023
LouisvilleGeorgia TechMercedes-Benz Stadium
Atlanta, GA
DUKE’S MAYO CLASSICSep. 2, 2023
North CarolinaSouth CarolinaBank of America Stadium
Charlotte, NC
(Music City Bowl Kickoff Game)Sep. 2, 2023
VirginiaTennesseeNissan Stadium
Nashville, TN
CAMPING WORLD KICKOFFSep. 3, 2023
LSUFlorida StateCamping World Stadium
Orlando, FL

(Lucas Oil Stadium Game)Sep. 16, 2023
IndianaLouisvilleLucas Oil Stadium
Indianapolis, IN

(Yankee Stadium Game)Nov. 11, 2023
PittSyracuseYankee Stadium
Bronx, NY

Other

PMXEEFNIZNAO7J2JIHOETGKUCE.jpg

Syracuse officials are thinking about moving the city's police and fire headquarters to this century-old factory built by the Lipe-Rollway Corp.

Syracuse police might move headquarters out of downtown to century-old factory (PS; $; Knauss)

Syracuse officials are thinking about moving city police and fire headquarters out of downtown to a vacant factory building about a mile to the west, near Fowler High School.

If that happens, it would mark the first time in the city’s 175-year history that Syracuse police operate from headquarters outside the downtown area.

There’s no agreement in place yet, and the deal could fall through. But after years of complaints from cops and firefighters about the aging Public Safety Building, and after scouting a variety of possible alternatives, city officials have zeroed in on a new location they like.

Ironically, the building city officials have their eye on is four decades older than the Public Safety Building, which opened in 1964.

The six-story factory at 1153 W. Fayette St. – built to make automotive and railway parts in the 1920s – is a better candidate for full-scale renovation than the PSB, city officials said.

The factory has twice as much space on each floor as the PSB, allowing a more modern office design, officials said.

Deputy Mayor Sharon Owens said city officials are drafting a letter of intent to developer Joe Gehm, of the Lahinch Group, to formally confirm their plan to negotiate a long-term lease for police and fire departments to occupy the building. Gehm said he is in the process of buying the building.

M3WAFEB4HBABFDEJ4BGVTIXXAE.jpg

Chad Meigs is launching Third Space Distribution, a new Syracuse-based venture to connect small craft brewers with their customers. (Photo courtesy Chad Meigs / Third Space Distribution)

How to boost New York’s craft beer? A new Syracuse-based distributor has a plan (PS; Cazentre)

Chad Meigs has a goal: He wants people in New York state to drink more beer made by small New York state craft brewers.

And he has a business plan to try to make it happen. Two years ago, he launched an online platform called Drink NY Craft that allowed consumers across the state to order hard-to-find New York beers and have them shipped directly to their homes.

Now, Meigs is launching a second phase of that idea — a more traditional distribution business aimed at connecting fans of New York craft beer and the places they buy their favorite brews.

Third Space Distribution, based at the Central New York Regional Market, is building a portfolio of beer brands that it can deliver to bars, restaurants and shops across the state that want to offer more variety in their selection. It carries only New York-made craft beers, with eight breweries on the list now and plans to grow.

Meigs even has a truck, something he didn’t need for the online business. He’s planning to buy more.

Third Space is the only distributor in New York carrying exclusively in-state beers, said Paul Leone, director of the New York State Brewers Association. Most distributors deal in a mix of big domestic brands and imports along with some craft beers.

“What Chad is doing in unique, focusing hard on New York, at a time when distribution is becoming more challenging for most breweries,” Leone said. “To have distributor dedicated to New York beer is going to help a lot of breweries.”