Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17105326-standard.jpg

17105341-standard.jpg

First Spring Practice for SU Football (Photos; PS; Greenlar)

Quarterback Terrel Hunt goes through offensive drills. Syracuse University football first day of spring practice, Ensley Athletic Center, Feb. 24. 2015. Michael Greenlar| mgreenlar@syracuse.com

17101287-mmmain.jpg

College Football Doesn't Allow 'Student-Athletes' Chance to Maximize Education (PS; Poliquin)

I am a student at Syracuse University who is very interested in collegiate sports (and may pursue some facet of them as a career), and I absolutely loved your article, "Get rid of spring football; the game will be just fine in the fall."

I have been doing a bit of research and analyzing the college football system here at SU. I am friends with several of the players on the team and they are constantly telling me how they cannot take certain classes, enroll in certain majors, participate in certain extracurriculars, and so much more because of the limitations placed on them by the football program.

I am disappointed with the design of the football program because it can hinder the student-athletes (or, rather, the indentured servants) from excelling in academics and from engaging in the overall college experience.

Several players wanted to take classes that were either of interest or a requirement towards their degrees. However, they were told they could not, by any means, enroll because the class time interfered with spring prac
tice.

ACC Football

hi-res-92b3c91233b1d67cd629e209ca7aff96_crop_north.jpg

Projecting Every Starting QB for the 2015 Season (BR; Smith)

The ACC featured one of the top quarterbacks in the country over the last two seasons in Jameis Winston, but 2015 is a season where the conference has quite a few question marks.

Obviously, there are a few situations where quarterbacks are locked into their starting jobs, such as Deshaun Watson at Clemson and Justin Thomas at Georgia Tech. That's not the case for every ACC school, though, as there are going to be some heated competitions for starting jobs across the conference.

To go along with the quarterback competitions, we're also likely to see some new faces under center for teams. A prime example of that will be the Duke Blue Devils, who turn from Anthony Boone to Thomas Sirk.

Overall, the ACC will feature not only strong quarterback play this coming year, but also young players who are looking to take that next big step in their careers. Let's check out the predictions for every starting quarterback in the ACC for the 2015 season.

Several players wanted to take classes that were either of interest or a requirement towards their degrees. However, they were told they could not, by any means, enroll because the class time interfered with spring practice.

So practices on Sundays and basically Tues and Thurs at 4:00 interfered with kids taking courses. I know things change but I can think of only a handful of courses that I ever took at SU that were after 4:00. And one of those was a 3 hour course on Wed evenings that is still on the curriculum. LOL.

Nate Mink ‏@MinkNate
Defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough: "This year is going to be the most challenging." Has no real grasp on several players' strengths yet.

Bullough: Does not expect leaders to emerge on defense until training camp; typically gain some idea by end of spring ball.

Bullough: Ron Thompson is going to play DE; Zeek Johnson they want at DE, but will largely depend on how ready freshmen are. Slayton to DT.

Bullough: Doesn't see one position to really hang his hat on this year, ala LB in '14. Said Whigham/Morgan at CB is most experienced unit.

Bullough on Slayton: He’s an athletic inside guy. If you’ve seen him lately, he’s big. I don’t know what his weight is, but he looks the part

Feeling I got from Bullough: '15 a transition year on defense. Hope young guys lay good groundwork and defense takes off over next 3 years.

Bullough: Samuels and Slayton forced to take some practice reps at end of '14 because of injuries. Showed improvement in footwork.

Bullough: Happy with retention rate from last year among young guys. Said IPF helped in that regard with guys putting in work.

Bullough on freshmen D-Linemen: "When you watch the film, they’re wild." Thinks they have the size to play now. Key will be smarts/strength.

Last edited:
Several players wanted to take classes that were either of interest or a requirement towards their degrees. However, they were told they could not, by any means, enroll because the class time interfered with spring practice.

So practices on Sundays and basically Tues and Thurs at 4:00 interfered with kids taking courses. I know things change but I can think of only a handful of courses that I ever took at SU that were after 4:00. And one of those was a 3 hour course on Wed evenings that is still on the curriculum. LOL.

Like's full of choices. We've had kids leave the team and focus solely on being a student in the past. If the pull was that strong, presume they would choose said path.