Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

-f013bab54cb5242e.JPG

SU Football Field, Now With More Orange (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

On Wednesday, Sean noted a lack of PLATINUM in the new Syracuse FieldTurf design. As the finishing touches are put on, we're noticing not only that, but even MORE orange for the Orange... which would make sense for any other school.

In Syracuse.com's image gallery yesterday, the very bright field displayed a new feature: Orange sidelines! Not the full sidelines, of course, but the university's official color does run from the back of the end zone to the 25-yard line on both sides of the field. Why the 25, I'm sure we'll find out in a press release of some sort. You'd think the 20 would make more sense, along with a #BRAND-ed "Orange Zone" to go with it. You're obviously following along with us when we rewrite those headlines, just for fun...

Syracuse Football Has Red Orange Zone Fever

Syracuse Offensive Play-Calling Breakdown: Red Orange Zone Struggles Continue

Will Syracuse's Red Orange Zone Offense Improve in 2015?

... Well, you get the picture.

We'll see if that reasoning behind the new Orange feature ever comes out. As long as it's not some weird Nike-inspired numerology/angle nonsense, we'll probably be fine with whatever purpose (if any) SU presents. In the meantime, hooray for using official school colors!

dunce.jpg

Dunce Blog of the Week Goes to fromtherumbleseat (fromtherumbleseat.com; Lawson)

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer may have taken college football recruiting to the most extreme level we've ever seen when he made a scholarship offer to a one-month-old, an eventual member of the class of 2032. I honestly have no clue if he was serious or not, but this is just too much. I'm assuming that it was a joke or a nice gesture, but the slim chance that he is actually giving a baby an athletic scholarship for a season in which he will long since be gone is absurd. In other news, the 2032 Syracuse football team already features a stronger recruiting class than the upcoming team does. See? I can take unwarranted shots at schools besides Wake Forest.

ACC News

usa-today-8216068.0.jpg

James Connor Focuses on An All-Around Game in 2016 (cardiachill.com)

Pitt running back James Conner had a monster year in 2015 rushing for 1,765 yards and 26 touchdowns. Most of his damage was done on the ground, but the backfield star plans to be doing a lot more than running this year.

We've heard talk before about throwing to the running backs a bit more. In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Conner himself recently confirmed that he plans to do more than just carry the ball this season:

Q: Is there anything specific your working on this offseason to get ready for 2015?

JC: "Every aspect of the game. Being a running back, you know the passing game and the protections - catching the ball out of the backfield.

Q. Is there much of a change in your role in the new offense?

JC: "I’m excited. We’re still run-heavy. My role is to be more versatile and valuable for the team - in running routes and picking up blitzes. I’m just mastering that playbook. But I’m very excited for the upcoming

Duke-Vs-Illinois-590x900.jpg

Duke and Illinois Schedule 2 Games for 2025-2026 (balldurham.com; Woolfson)

With college football season approaching many fan bases are getting excited for the possibility of another great season. While we recently learned that the Duke Football team has a couple of preseason All-Americans, and many All-ACC performers, we also received news this week that Duke and Illinois have scheduled a home-and-home series to be played in 2025 and 2026.

MORE FROM DUKE FOOTBALL

On September 6, 2025 the Fighting Illini will come to Durham to take on the Blue Devils, and on September 12, 2026 Duke will head to Champaign to return the favor.

These two schools have met on the gridiron two other times, but not since 1965. The first meeting happened in 1958 and Duke emerged victorious from their first meeting by a score of 15-13. The second meeting in 1965 ended in an Illini victory by the score of 28-14.

The players that will eventually be playing in these games are still in elementary school as this meeting is 10 years away, but it is nice to see two power conference schools schedule a home-and-home like this.

The likelihood of either coach still being at their respective schools is probably very low as well. David Cutcliffe would be 70 years old by the time these two teams meet up, and although he is doing a tremendous job building Duke’s football program, who knows if he will still have the desire to coach football anymore.

Dunce Blog of the Week Goes to fromtherumbleseat (fromtherumbleseat.com; Lawson)

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer may have taken college football recruiting to the most extreme level we've ever seen when he made a scholarship offer to a one-month-old, an eventual member of the class of 2032. I honestly have no clue if he was serious or not, but this is just too much. I'm assuming that it was a joke or a nice gesture, but the slim chance that he is actually giving a baby an athletic scholarship for a season in which he will long since be gone is absurd. In other news, the 2032 Syracuse football team already features a stronger recruiting class than the upcoming team does. See? I can take unwarranted shots at schools besides Wake Forest.
Did anyone tell this clown that this kind of thing happens all over? For example, there's this.

Did anyone tell this clown that this kind of thing happens all over? For example, there's this.

Between this guys inability to decipher a gesture/joke to an alum - or Clawson's inability to laugh at himself with Colbert, WF is looking like a "no fun, too serious" kind of place.

Hating them more and more.

TNIAAM (and others) questioned why the new orange border around the field stops at the 25 yard line. This is a NCAA rule. The non-orange part is called the "white area" and imposes a restriction on coaches' access to the field.

NCAA Football Rules 9-2-1, 9-2-3, 9-2-5

1. The 6-foot border at the sideline, commonly referred to as “the white,” is to remain clear of

all team personnel immediately before, during, and after the play until all action has ceased.

Officials will work with “get-back coaches” to keep this area clear.

2. Failure of teams to keep “the white” area clear will result in the following:

 An official warning for the first occurrence;

 A 5-yard penalty for the second and third occurrences;

 A 15-yard penalty for any subsequent occurrences.

Note: Egregious violations may result in a penalty (five or fifteen yards) without

warning.

3. After all action has ceased and prior to the snap becoming imminent, coaches may move to

the sideline or slightly on the field to:

 Call plays.

 Congratulate players.

 Request information from game officials.

4. Head coaches may enter the field between downs to attend to an injured player.

5. Head coaches may leave the team area along the sideline to request a time-out or issue a

replay challenge. The head coach must make this request immediately upon reaching the

sideline official. Otherwise, coaches leaving the team area for any reason other than

attending to an injured player are subject to the protocols in item 2.

6. During time-outs coaches may enter the field near the sideline to communicate with

players. They may never move as far as the numbers, except to attend to injured players.

Violations will be subject to protocols in item 2.

7. Coaches who enter the white area or the field to mount a protest that is exaggerated or

prolonged, or is threatening, obscene, or abusive, will be penalized for unsportsmanlike

conduct.