Forget 3-point shots, concentrate on what works | Syracusefan.com

Forget 3-point shots, concentrate on what works

Dave85

Living Legend
I'd rather see most of the practice time spent on defense than 3-point shooting. On offense I would like to see more kick outs to perimeter players shooting 10 to 15 foot 2-point shots. Some points is much better than no points! Our inside game with Rak and CMac will be the strongest part of our offense. We need to get those players to make good kick out passes for shorter jump shots. Also, I would like to see us return back to the high pick and roll plays. It's very simple but it seemed like it worked pretty good a few years ago around the time when Baye was a freshmen. I think the TC back cut under the basket play is getting old.

One more comment. During the Iowa game no one was boxing out on defense. I understand everyone wants to go sky high to rebound at the apex. But having good box out skills will go a long way to defending against taller stronger players like the ones we will face when playing the elite teams.

Defensive positioning and reacting is much easier to improve quickly than shooting. The players are always working on their shooting the coaches will work on them finding the open guys and getting better shots. Still I'd be shocked if we don't see a marked improvement on D by the time we are @ Michigan.

Defensive positioning and reacting is much easier to improve quickly than shooting. The players are always working on their shooting the coaches will work on them finding the open guys and getting better shots. Still I'd be shocked if we don't see a marked improvement on D by the time we are @ Michigan.

This team needs to stop taking 3s and stick to 2-point plays. Against Loyola they 16.7% from 3-point. And they shot 51.9% from the field. TC, RP, KJ2, and Silent G should stop shooting threes. In my opinion, they should stop taking 3s and just concentrate on 2-point plays.

This team needs to stop taking 3s and stick to 2-point plays. Against Loyola they 16.7% from 3-point. And they shot 51.9% from the field. TC, RP, KJ2, and Silent G should stop shooting threes. In my opinion, they should stop taking 3s and just concentrate on 2-point plays.
coming into tonight, about 26% of their field goal attempts came from beyond the arc . . . that is 309th among the 351 D1 schools. Tonight it was 23%. You gotta take some and it's hard to take fewer than the Orange are right now.

If we stop taking threes all together, our overall FG% will drop. If you don't have a running game in football, that doesn't mean you stop running the ball. You have to at least try to keep the defense honest.

coming into tonight, about 26% of their field goal attempts came from beyond the arc . . . that is 309th among the 351 D1 schools. Tonight it was 23%. You gotta take some and it's hard to take fewer than the Orange are right now.

All attempts for glory but practically no points. The coach should make a team rule. Unless a player makes a 2-point shot they can't attempt a 3-point shot. I just can't believe the Orange must attempt 3-point shots to win. Isn't that the logical basis of the defense, that is, force opposing team to make more difficult shots. It seemed to me the second half the offense played much better shooting inside the arc. My hope is the Orange stop shooting for glory and concentrate on what is working. There were several 3-point shot attempts where I thought the player had a choice to dribble closer. Three-point shooting, or the lack there of, will be just as big a problem for this team winning this year as Rak getting into foul trouble. The team needs to fill the void where CJ used to be in order to win.

I'd rather see most of the practice time spent on defense than 3-point shooting. On offense I would like to see more kick outs to perimeter players shooting 10 to 15 foot 2-point shots. Some points is much better than no points! Our inside game with Rak and CMac will be the strongest part of our offense. We need to get those players to make good kick out passes for shorter jump shots. Also, I would like to see us return back to the high pick and roll plays. It's very simple but it seemed like it worked pretty good a few years ago around the time when Baye was a freshmen. I think the TC back cut under the basket play is getting old.

One more comment. During the Iowa game no one was boxing out on defense. I understand everyone wants to go sky high to rebound at the apex. But having good box out skills will go a long way to defending against taller stronger players like the ones we will face when playing the elite teams.

This is what i feel about Co0ney. I know he spends hours shooting 3 pointers every night in the Melo Center. He should practice every shot inside the Arc and driving to the lane. He is strong and capable of getting 3 the old fashioned way. If he continues to shoot well inside the arc his long range shot will come back naturally.

This is what i feel about Co0ney. I know he spends hours shooting 3 pointers every night in the Melo Center. He should practice every shot inside the Arc and driving to the lane. He is strong and capable of getting 3 the old fashioned way. If he continues to shoot well inside the arc his long range shot will come back naturally.

I agree. I think the 3-point arc is beyond is best range.

All attempts for glory but practically no points. The coach should make a team rule. Unless a player makes a 2-point shot they can't attempt a 3-point shot. I just can't believe the Orange must attempt 3-point shots to win. Isn't that the logical basis of the defense, that is, force opposing team to make more difficult shots. It seemed to me the second half the offense played much better shooting inside the arc. My hope is the Orange stop shooting for glory and concentrate on what is working. There were several 3-point shot attempts where I thought the player had a choice to dribble closer. Three-point shooting, or the lack there of, will be just as big a problem for this team winning this year as Rak getting into foul trouble. The team needs to fill the void where CJ used to be in order to win.

Do you literally mean this? Like we could be successful with 0 3 pointers attempted?

Let's see how good the post up game is if the defense can completely disregard the 3 point line and clog the paint.
We're not a good 3 point shooting team and we shouldn't shoot a ton of them, but everyone needs to take some 3 pointers. You need to make the defense guard as much of the floor as you can.

Do you literally mean this? Like we could be successful with 0 3 pointers attempted?

Let's see how good the post up game is if the defense can completely disregard the 3 point line and clog the paint.
We're not a good 3 point shooting team and we shouldn't shoot a ton of them, but everyone needs to take some 3 pointers. You need to make the defense guard as much of the floor as you can.

If they are shooting less than 20% from three-point range what's the point????

One thing - what is the nature of the majority of the long shots any player takes and often makes, in practice? Does he dribble down the court and heave it, or does someone else pass it to him dozens of times while he's relatively set? It seems like a shooter will most likely be successful when his in-game situation most closely matches his most common (and successful) practice routine. I'm just wondering if the pull up trey has ever been mastered. I rarely see players connect on those during warm-ups. So why take them at all?

Coaches often say an open player, especially a good one of future NBA'er, should take them. Aside from last possession desperation heaves, does it make sense for anyone to take anything but a completely ready shot over the long run? One can tell, with about 90% accuracy, when Trevor is going to miss (there's that rushed shot by one half-second to one second ), and when he's going to make it (having it passed to him with ample time for his normal set-up, speed wise). It doesn't seem to matter how long a shooter is open, if he takes a less common route to the shot. Even if he has 20 seconds.

Just grooving my L-tryptophan-induced hallucinatory fantasy.

The team is shooting 33% on 2 point jumpers and 24% on 3 pointers. That means they are getting .66 points per 2 point jumper, and .71 points per 3 point shot.

Orange vs. Loyola: 51.9% FG, 16.7% FG3, FT 58.3%

14 - 24 from the line is not very good. The Orange should work on free throws. But they should definitely try to avoid taking 3-point shots whenever possible. Take TC for example: 4-8 FG, 1-5 FG3. KJ2 was 4-7 FG. Some points are much better than no points!

Some points are much better than no points!

I have to admit I am a bit curious if Wilt Chamberlain followed that motto. I mean after his career.

Exactly, you have to take some perimeter shots. Otherwise the opposing team will just pack it into the lane and dare you to shoot. Have to keep them honest. It's the same as football - even if you're a run heavy offense, you have to throw now and then, because otherwise the defense will just put 8-9 men in the box every play.

Exactly, you have to take some perimeter shots. Otherwise the opposing team will just pack it into the lane and dare you to shoot. Have to keep them honest. It's the same as football - even if you're a run heavy offense, you have to throw now and then, because otherwise the defense will just put 8-9 men in the box every play.

I don't disagree. But it seems to me TCs range is 2 to 4 feet closer than the 3-point line. I'm not saying drive to the lane every time. What I am saying is I would rather have the team try to get plays like CJ Fair was doing over bombing from three. Still outside shots but not from outer space.

Man it has just been rough watching these guys shoot the 3. I don't know what the solution is but I hope at least one of them finds his stroke and rides it through the year. Until then, we're still looking for that...

Untitled.png

CJ Shot Chart.png
I don't disagree. But it seems to me TCs range is 2 to 4 feet closer than the 3-point line. I'm not saying drive to the lane every time. What I am saying is I would rather have the team try to get plays like CJ Fair was doing over bombing from three. Still outside shots but not from outer space.

CJ was doing plenty of bombing from 2 point range. His FG% on 2 point jumpers was just 39% and as you can see from the shot chart the ones we was taking were more from places that he shot poorly than from ones he made at a high %

They essentially did stop taking 3s against Loyola (attempting only 12 for the game) because they had the game under control from the start. But they likely will not be able to compete against better teams with that strategy. Unless they suddenly start scoring points in bunches in transition, Cooney will need to attempt them regularly (around 5 to 10 per game) and others will need to keep shooting them when they get clean looks or this team will struggle mightily to score.

Last edited:
View attachment 30840

CJ was doing plenty of bombing from 2 point range. His FG% on 2 point jumpers was just 39% and as you can see from the shot chart the ones we was taking were more from places that he shot poorly than from ones he made at a high %

Yeah, he definitely did a better percentage from 2 point range than 3 point range.

Yeah, he definitely did a better percentage from 2 point range than 3 point range.

CJ shot 39% on 2point jumpers and 28% on three pointers. That is .78 points per shot on 2 point jumpers and .84 points per shot on 3 pointers.

To your point, we need to make jump shots. I don't care if they are two or three point shots, we just have to make some. The more we make the more the lane will open up...

According to ESPN,after last night's 0 for, the Orange are currently ranked 2nd from the bottom in 3pt%. Only Houston Baptist has a lower percentage. At least BC is right there with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom