Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

I know this isn't directly related to Fran Brown, but here is an awesome video by Kirby Smart discussing how Georgia altered their defense to stop the run. He's got some great stats on how almost all past national champs were top 10 in run defense, and makes the argument that in order to defend the pass you need to stop the run game first. I'd imagine Fran is going to bring a lot of these same concepts.

Does that mean that we abandon the 3-3-5? I don't know the answer to that, but I'm going to say most likely. So we'll have to pound the portal for some d lineman that we think can start for us.

Either way I thought this video was pretty awesome and a great look at how complicated defenses are and how complicated the reads by the defense ends are in today's college football game.

Seems like we'll switch to the 4-2-5 that most team play these days.

Yeah, he turned a complete dumpster fire, the worst D-1 team, let alone major conference team, into a 8 win bowl team in two years.

That is not close to what Brown is walking into. For him to be an attractive candidate means he’s winning an average of 9 games a year and making noise on signing day, otherwise it’s just status quo.

Which means he’s done a great job and the school is in better position than when he came in. Win/win. Thank you for your service
Yeah. If he goes 6-6 to 8-4 three or four years in a row, it'll be a good job, but maybe not the job we hope for, and he may get a look from someone - the program would be stable.

If he is going 7-5 to 9-3 three or four years in a row he is going to get a hard look from someone during that stretch, and the program would be where it was in the late 90s.

If he goes 8-4 to 10+ three or four years in a row, then he is going to be poached, but the program will be in a much better place and we should have a much better candidate pool to choose from at that time.

Like I’ve been saying, he’s a short-term fix.
There is nothing wrong with a short term fix if that coach actually FIXES shxt.

If we are winning 10 games and competing for ACC titles the wind will be at our back and it will be easier to hire the next coach and KEEP winning as opposed to trying to start winning.

Goes well, you learn from it and follow it up with someone similar.

Goes poorly, you learn from it and follow up with someone different.

Everything stays at a 7-8 regular season win level (2025's schedule is a bad outlier though) and we don't vomit all over ourselves 4 straight weeks on national TV, you ride it out as long as you want.
We have to try everything and fail before committing to throwing the ball all of the time

Even Chesney was pasqualoni's dream of balanced yards

Maybe he goes someone crazy on offense, moves up to a factory, and then we get an offensive guy just to maintain continuity

We have to try everything and fail before committing to throwing the ball all of the time

Even Chesney was pasqualoni's dream of balanced yards

Maybe he goes someone crazy on offense, moves up to a factory, and then we get an offensive guy just to maintain continuity

We can make a pretty solid assumption that Brown, as a D guy, will be a Schiano let's play D and smash heads on offense without making mistakes.

But we don't really know yet. Just have to see who his OC is. Wildhack didn't strike me as a stuck in the past let's smashmouth our way to victory. And he talked to Brown a million times. So maybe there's some sliver of hope that Brown will take the Stoops approach. I'm going with the offense that gave me the most headaches as a DB coach.

We'll know soon.

We can make a pretty solid assumption that Brown, as a D guy, will be a Schiano let's play D and smash heads on offense without making mistakes.
I don't think so.

I believe he's a recruiter first and foremost, and just so happens to be a defensive coach.

Since his emphasis is on recruiting, smash head offense isn't what appeals most to recruits.

I believe he will want an offense that makes recruiting easier.

I don't think so.

I believe he's a recruiter first and foremost, and just so happens to be a defensive coach.

Since his emphasis is on recruiting, smash head offense isn't what appeals most to recruits.

Hopefully. It's all a mystery. We know so little about him since he bypassed one level on the food chain.

This is just a bizarre post to me. Mel Tucker was caught on recording lewdly harassing someone.

Chris Partridge was a fall guy for advance scouting.
I mean, they were both in a famous controversy this year. Even if it's apples and oranges, we're still comparing fruit.

First, welcome To Fran Brown, our new HC!
I know many on here are still upset over their top choice not being the choice; I get that.

I welcome our new HC and wish him great success at Syracuse!
Let’s take a breath and see how our new coach builds his staff, the success he has in retaining our best players and his recruiting/Portal success before criticizing or slamming him. This is not directed at any individual, just a statement of hoped for support in his initial stages of of his program development, for our team!

From his bio on the Georgia site... No mention of recruiting, but IF Brown sees something in him as a recruiter, this could be his guy for the DMV...

Baltimore native. Graduated from Towson in 2016, interned there in strength and conditioning his senior year... Then Maryland, then Temple for two years, then three years at Miami, then a year at Grambling State, then Georgia...
I am not sure strength and conditioning guys do much recruiting.

What a ride this has been. Wildhack has balls I will say that. He did not go safe he went extremely risky. If he is not the guy who can coach the big game, but can make us good enough to out talent other teams like a Penn St this would still be a home run hire to me. Time will tell and I am here for it!

Last edited:
I know this isn't directly related to Fran Brown, but here is an awesome video by Kirby Smart discussing how Georgia altered their defense to stop the run. He's got some great stats on how almost all past national champs were top 10 in run defense, and makes the argument that in order to defend the pass you need to stop the run game first. I'd imagine Fran is going to bring a lot of these same concepts.

Does that mean that we abandon the 3-3-5? I don't know the answer to that, but I'm going to say most likely. So we'll have to pound the portal for some d lineman that we think can start for us.

Either way I thought this video was pretty awesome and a great look at how complicated defenses are and how complicated the reads by the defense ends are in today's college football game.

51 minutes long. How come we didn't get anything like this from Dyno Babers?

I don't think so.

Hopefully that doesn't repeat the recruits want pro style debacle of 05. That's what I'm expecting though. Georgia can do that stuff

I bet the people that put these types of slideshows together had Sunday's and Monday's off like the medical staff did, and Baber's only availability was Monday morning so he wouldn't have the tape to show us.

The video is awesome by the way. Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't mind moving back to a more traditional defense, maybe the 3-4?
Like Scooch said I think we move to a more traditional (for college) 4-2-5. The question is can we get the bodies up front to run it. With Fran's recruiting prowess hopefully we can pull some decent DL out of the NJ or CT areas.

Like Scooch said I think we move to a more traditional (for college) 4-2-5. The question is can we get the bodies up front to run it. With Fran's recruiting prowess hopefully we can pull some decent DL out of the NJ or CT areas.
That's another question; does he look to go system first and plug from there or adapt on the fly with what will work for the players he can get?

If Brown thinks a HS coach from NJ is the perfect choice, than I am going to trust him. This may be a diamond in the rough that Brown thinks can make the jump. Anyone from NJ he is going to know really well.

And with the Michigan guy I am guessing the word scapegoat might apply here. There is always the scapegoat. And the fact that they then pulled the suspension so fast on the head coach makes it even more likely that the move was to try to take the heat off the real culprits.