Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

In your previous post, you jumped to how/why JW botched things with Mullen. So yeah, I would call that a misrepresentation. But you’re back on topic now.

As I’ve said previously in this thread and as others have said previously in this thread, Mullen’s representative reached out to JW. On Friday/Saturday, reliable sources said it was a done deal.

If you want to suggest those sources made it up or were misled for some reason, more power to you. If you want to believe it was a coincidence that over half the team started following Mullen last week, more power to you. If you want to ignore the fact that Mullen didn’t deny anything until he replied to a random tweet late Sunday night, despite numerous opportunities earlier in the week, both on-air and off, more power to you.

I don’t know how/why it fell apart. That’s a good question. In all likelihood, we’ll never know. That doesn’t mean Mullen wasn’t under consideration.

There’s nothing else to say. In your own words, believe whatever you want.
How could it have been a done deal?

And if people know Sexton and SU were in discussions, maybe they jumped to conclusions about which client.

This thread is about Fran Brown. If you want to continue discussing Mullen take it to the Mullen thread.
Not sure why you’re singling me out. I’m responding to other posters.

In your previous post, you jumped to how/why JW botched things with Mullen. So yeah, I would call that a misrepresentation. But you’re back on topic now.

As I’ve said previously in this thread and as others have said previously in this thread, Mullen’s representative reached out to JW. On Friday/Saturday, reliable sources said it was a done deal.

If you want to suggest those sources made it up or were misled for some reason, more power to you. If you want to believe it was a coincidence that over half the team started following Mullen last week, more power to you. If you want to ignore the fact that Mullen didn’t deny anything until he replied to a random tweet late Sunday night, despite numerous opportunities earlier in the week, both on-air and off, more power to you.

I don’t know how/why it fell apart. That’s a good question. In all likelihood, we’ll never know. That doesn’t mean Mullen wasn’t under consideration.

There’s nothing else to say. In your own words, believe whatever you want.
I suspect this all comes down to our perception of "reliable sources". I was told rumors about Mullen too, and I didn't consider the sources reliable. It seemed to be a game of telephone where the people sharing a scoop were getting info 4th-hand.

Not sure why you’re singling me out. I’m responding to other posters.
Do you really want to have me go back through this thread and point out where you started this back and forth on gaslighting and Mullen.
Just take any further discussion on Mullen to the Mullen thread.

Do you really want to have me go back through this thread and point out where you started this back and forth on gaslighting and Mullen.
Just take any further discussion on Mullen to the Mullen thread.
If only because that will show I didn’t. I have no issue with taking further discussion to the other thread, though.

Brown went to and played at my alma mater, Hudson Valley Community College. He's also only two years younger than me but we weren't there at the same time.
And what have you accomplished? ;)

I'm quite curious to see how Brown builds his staff with regards to recruiting. Obviously there will be an emphasis on NJ and then the Northeast. So I'd expect guys with ties to NJ, Massachusetts/New England, NYC area, Pennsylvania. I assume one or two guys with good ties to the DMV. From there, I think Florida or the Southeast is the most obvious way to go. I know I'm not breaking new ground, but bear with me.

We are not only playing conference games in Florida now, we are playing them and, in the next several years, playing them more often in California and Texas. If they wanted to add some non-conference home and homes to get into Texas in 2027 or 2028, they have the room in the schedule to do so.

2024 @ Cal
2025 @ SMU, @ Miami
2027 @ Stanford
2029 @ Cal, @ FSU
2030 @ SMU

Obviously we don't want to overdo it or try to be a national program when we're not, but I do like the idea of poking around just a bit in the new turf in our conference footprint and seeing what we can do.

I would love to see us do a 2 for 1 with North Texas or Rice to get a road game in Texas in 2027 or 2028. Or maybe a home and home with Baylor, TCU, or U of H.

That would get us into Texas at least once in all but one two year window from 2024 through 2030, and the same would be true for Cali. Likewise, I wouldn't mind seeing us get a road game in Florida in 2027.

I'm quite curious to see how Brown builds his staff with regards to recruiting. Obviously there will be an emphasis on NJ and then the Northeast. So I'd expect guys with ties to NJ, Massachusetts/New England, NYC area, Pennsylvania. I assume one or two guys with good ties to the DMV. From there, I think Florida or the Southeast is the most obvious way to go. I know I'm not breaking new ground, but bear with me.

We are not only playing conference games in Florida now, we are playing them and, in the next several years, playing them more often in California and Texas. If they wanted to add some non-conference home and homes to get into Texas in 2027 or 2028, they have the room in the schedule to do so.

2024 @ Cal
2025 @ SMU, @ Miami
2027 @ Stanford
2029 @ Cal, @ FSU
2030 @ SMU

Obviously we don't want to overdo it or try to be a national program when we're not, but I do like the idea of poking around just a bit in the new turf in our conference footprint and seeing what we can do.

I would love to see us do a 2 for 1 with North Texas or Rice to get a road game in Texas in 2027 or 2028. Or maybe a home and home with Baylor, TCU, or U of H.

That would get us into Texas at least once in all but one two year window from 2024 through 2030, and the same would be true for Cali. Likewise, I wouldn't mind seeing us get a road game in Florida in 2027.

Would prefer to see us add Florida games. We only have one the next 7 years and only one in Alabama, when we used to play there every other year.

Would prefer to see us add Florida games. We only have one the next 7 years and only one in Alabama, when we used to play there every other year.
We're in Florida in 2025 (@ Miami) and 2029 (@ FSU), so that's two in the next six years. But I'd be all for that too, I'd love to see us get a non-conference road game in Florida and another in Texas in 2027 and 2028. Ideally against teams that we're heavily favored against even on the road.

You can find the archives here but there isn't much posted for 2001 & 2002 when Brown played there. The media guide I posted above has some details on his stats

Chris Carlson with a nice piece on the new HC:

“I truly believe in myself. I am going to recruit who I want to recruit. I don’t care who is recruiting them. I don’t care what they are doing. Once we get done talking, unless you don’t like the school at all, there is a great chance you’re going to start wanting to come to that school.” Fran Brown

That is how you change the program.

Partridge would be a home run assistant as a ST or LB coach. Great recruiter with NJ ties. Hope it happens.
Yeah and regardless he does have a little baggage at this point, so I certainly don't think he should be coming in hot and looking for the DC job where he wasn't great at Ole Miss but you know sometimes coaches get better through experience as well.

I think would be a great hire at LB or ST

Swipe for quotes from Coach Fran, John Wildhack, Kent Syverud, Kirby Smart, and Matt Rhule...
It's not like I have a choice but i’m all in!! This is going to be an absolute train wreck or an absolute home run. I'm definitely starting to lead more towards the latter. I was originally all in on Chesney, and then to the moon and back with Mullen, and then some what hesitantly back to Chesney with a bit of idgaf thrown in. I was well aware who Fran Brown was prior but to see such endorsements from guys like Kirby Smart, and the lessons he learned at Georgia, there isn't a lot of other people with that pedigree. The other part I like is this won't be another 3-4 year rebuild where if we went with Chesney I know a lot of our top returners would portal and it would be much harder for him to bring in talent. At least with Brown, I think we keep a lot of our top players, and get to bringing in higher talent level kids that we are not used to seeing. The coordinator hired will be crucial. Plus we will finally find out if it is still possible to recruit to Syracuse football. The initial response from recruits was hopeful, now let's see if we can get them here.

All aboard the Fran train. Let's go

Last edited: