Frank Anselem back in the portal | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem back in the portal

I'd be willing to take that bet.

Good grief.
I was being snarky. But also, I didn't realize Filipowski had declared...

With their best incoming players being Flagg and Maluach, with a couple top recruits on the wing and another 7' recruit, playing time might still be at a premium for Brown. No doubt he will get fewer minutes at Duke than Syracuse, but it's not the career suicide it would have been if Filipowski was still there.

Um...if our best player when he was a SO can't be a part of a rotation at what we pretend is a rival school when he is now a Jr and the majority of their roster are Fr? It shows that we are a joke and are closer to a peer with BC and ND then Duke.

That's not even taking into account the financial aspect if teams are spending more on a non-rotation guy then we can afford for what would have been our top returning upperclassmen.

Soooo...is it a secret that the program has fallen the last few years? I mean, a BIG hint might be our lack of an NCAA bid 3 yrs in a row, no? Who ever intimated that we were currently on Dukes level, especially lately?
I wouldn't say we're a "joke", but if our measuring stick has become whether Maliq Brown can get PT at Duke, then we have waaay bigger fish to fry.
Besides, MB is the wrong kinda player to view as a benchmark, IMO. He's a poor man's Draymond Green type, hustle and garbage man, but definitely not an all-around star. It's not fair to put that on him as the measuring stick either.

I am excited to see that talking point pivot when Maliq is Dook's starting 4
Which of the top5 picks in the lottery next year do you see Brown pushing to the bench? Flagg or Maluach? Or do you think they'll start him at next to those guys and decide to play with less three point shooting?

So we look bad if he starts and we also look bad if he doesn’t? I’ve seen both arguments over the last month or so, so which is it?

What he does or doesn’t do at Duke has no bearing on Red or SU. Red got the best out of him last season in a cauldron of chaos. He gave the kid a platform to shine and show his gifts. He just isn’t a starter for what we need next season. Glue guy, sixth man, yes! But he wanted something else, and his friends left. If he doesn’t start at Duke, the only thing it means is he made the wrong choice for playing time. He can be happy with his $$ and clap hard alongside Scheyer.

We look bad if people read this thread.

Which of the top5 picks in the lottery next year do you see Brown pushing to the bench? Flagg or Maluach? Or do you think they'll start him at next to those guys and decide to play with less three point shooting?
The latter. And Maliq showed last season that he's capable expanding his range. Limited sample size but if he was coming back I'm sure ball-knowers on this board would be excited about the potential of him being a threat shooting the ball.

The latter. And Maliq showed last season that he's capable expanding his range. Limited sample size but if he was coming back I'm sure ball-knowers on this board would be excited about the potential of him being a threat shooting the ball.
I'm sure it's possible he'll beat out all of Evans, Knueppel, Gillis and Harris for time at the 3, but it seems unlikely to me. I think he'll get whatever minutes are left after the lottery picks get theirs...

I guess we'll see.

I loved the guy and I wish he was still here. I think he made a foolish choice to transfer to Duke. He'll make more money, but his career is being severely hampered by going to be a deep bench player playing limited minutes with future lottery picks at every position he can play.

Yes.
IMO Maliq was our best all-around player. Judah had low bball IQ and too much "auditioning for the NBA-itis", or he would've had the title. And Bell's criminal lack of defense and rebounding, not to mention weak handle, cancels him out. Frankly, I don't see anyone else in the running.

Right - best player doesn’t always mean the most talented. We had more talented guys than Maliq but they didn’t maximize that talent to reach more of their potential. He was the best all around player on last years team. Also in no way a knock on Maliq but because of that reality we were not a tourney team.

Yes.
IMO Maliq was our best all-around player. Judah had low bball IQ and too much "auditioning for the NBA-itis", or he would've had the title. And Bell's criminal lack of defense and rebounding, not to mention weak handle, cancels him out. Frankly, I don't see anyone else in the running.
I almost agree, but Maliq cannot dribble and had to rely on others for almost all his offense, which disappeared at times.

Indeed the team’s record reflects the reality that the team was full of players with big holes in their games.

I almost agree, but Maliq cannot dribble and had to rely on others for almost all his offense, which disappeared at times.

Indeed the team’s record reflects the reality that the team was full of players with big holes in their games.
We will be hard pressed to replace his 59 assists and 75 offensive rebounds. While playing against mostly bigger guys.

Nevermind the 71 steals.

We will be hard pressed to replace his 59 assists and 75 offensive rebounds. While playing against mostly bigger guys.

Nevermind the 71 steals.
Blocks shouldn't be a.number but because of Lampkins almost 0, we lose them too.

Maliq did have hands like David Copperfield.

Last edited:
IMO, all around player, yes.
I think he was our most versatile player, but was not the most influential player that decided whether we’d win or lose imo.

If Judah was off, likelihood is we’d lose.

But another part is, if Judah was off he’d take the whole ship down with him. So I get the seeming consensus in this thread that Brown was our “best player”.

I certainly do not see him as a “best player” like CJ Fair, Kris Joseph or even Rak and Lydon were.

I don’t think that we could rely on Maliq to win us games against UNC, Duke or even most “peers”. Its nothing against him, I just dont believe he’d involve into that guy yet.

Am I off here?

I think he was our most versatile player, but was not the most influential player that decided whether we’d win or lose imo.

If Judah was off, likelihood is we’d lose.

But another part is, if Judah was off he’d take the whole ship down with him. So I get the seeming consensus in this thread that Brown was our “best player”.

I certainly do not see him as a “best player” like CJ Fair, Kris Joseph or even Rak and Lydon were.

I don’t think that we could rely on Maliq to win us games against UNC, Duke or even most “peers”. Its nothing against him, I just dont believe he’d involve into that guy yet.

Am I off here?
I'd argue, as far as our best wins, it was usually JJ that tipped the scales.

But yeah Maliq was our best player counting both ends of the floor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom