Frank Anselem back in the portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem back in the portal

You are incorrect. Maybe down the road he will be...but not now. Carey wont be a contributor this coming year as it stands.

especially as he is coming off of an injury, and hasn't really played at all this past season.

So - a raw talent that is that much more raw due to lack of PT.
He's like the steak tartare of C prospects.

He does seem to have excellent athleticism, is tall, and aggressive;
assuming he's healthy, he *may* be able to hold down the middle for 5-10 minutes a game.

That said - you know JB will play a F there instead, because he's not ready. :rolleyes:

If he had waited he would start for his Junior and Senior year. He has to find a place where he is an absolute starter or else this decision is a bad one. What sucks is we develop these players and they bail.
Modern college basketball. Guys want to play and now they have the freedom to find a place where they can. If we were recruiting up to par losses like the backup center should not be crushing.

Last edited:
Really wish he would stay. 3 years left to play and a lot of upside. We can’t continue to recruit low 4 and 3 star players and expect to win unless we can get them to stay and develop.

Carey is no where near ready for major back up minutes at this point. Anselem had 2 years learning the zone defensively, that's an enormous advantage. Honestly it's not even close.
Carey is so much more versatile with the ability to play the wing. His footspeed and coordination is so far in ahead of Anselem already.

We will need a good backup here. Twitter experts commenting on needing Ballard. Unless Ballard was hiding something great no one saw, he is a long ways from bringing what Frank could.

Also need to hope Jesse is ready for 30 mins a game both physically and mentally (foul issues).

We will need a good backup here. Twitter experts commenting on needing Ballard. Unless Ballard was hiding something great no one saw, he is a long ways from bringing what Frank could.

Also need to hope Jesse is ready for 30 mins a game both physically and mentally (foul issues).
Based on the discussion and skill set I expect Maliq Brown to be our backup center next year.

Carey is so much more versatile with the ability to play the wing. His footspeed and coordination is so far in ahead of Anselem already.

Where is this analysis coming from. He didn't play at all this past year and just showed progress in a short window leading up to that. Those highlight videos are nice but if that is the source this is a massive stretch.

Based on the discussion and skill set I expect Maliq Brown to be our backup center next year.

Yep. Which wouldn't be as bad ( I hope) as our undersized guys in previous years but still who knows how that would go.

I agree -- he has intriguing upside.

However, Frank is older, more physical mature, and after last year is battle-tested. He's started games, been in pressure situations [such as when he had to hit two key free throws in OT against Indiana], and delivered.

IMO, Carey is going to far outshoot his ranking -- in time. But the question is: next year, would we be better off with Frank as the backup or Carey. I'd say the former. That might be a different story in 2-3 years.

Where is this analysis coming from. He didn't play at all this past year and just showed progress in a short window leading up to that. Those highlight videos are nice but if that is the source this is a massive stretch.
No kidding. As far as I can tell he's missed all (or almost all) of this year with injury, and his prep school didn't play at all the year before that. I agree that he looked pretty good at AAU but he's missed a ton of developmental time. Never mind the risk that he's still not healthy by next season. Never mind the fact that JB doesn't seem to trust young centers in the first place.

I think Carey could be a really good player for us if he sticks around, but it seems nuts to rely on him for real minutes next year.

Kid we had re-classify as a condition of his offer, that was trashed in the media by his coach, is now leaving.

We need some good news from elsewhere today, but the whole story here is just a bad one for us as it pertains to Frank.

Hope he does well wherever he lands and appreciate his classy comments as he's looking for another spot.

All I know is he can dunk really well and has been injured. He has potential, but will be shocked if he's ready to give any good minutes next year.

If he had waited he would start for his Junior and Senior year. He has to find a place where he is an absolute starter or else this decision is a bad one. What sucks is we develop these players and they bail.

Every school is saying that right now. There’s over 1000 kids in the portal. Some are highly rated and were starters.

I agree -- he has intriguing upside.

However, Frank is older, more physical mature, and after last year is battle-tested. He's started games, been in pressure situations [such as when he had to hit two key free throws in OT against Indiana], and delivered.

IMO, Carey is going to far outshoot his ranking -- in time. But the question is: next year, would we be better off with Frank as the backup or Carey. I'd say the former. That might be a different story in 2-3 years.

Carey looked to have massive upside to me. That said we needed him to play this past year and get experience against better talent for him to be ready to help. Not a knock on Carey at all- just bad luck. Lots to like in what he could become in a couple years.

CBB teams need two bonafide centers these days. You cannot go into battle in the ACC night after night with just one. We haven’t had a center play an entire season injury free for 15 years? When is the last time?

I wish Frank well. I’m sure he doesn’t want to sit behind Jesse next year. But things can change rapidly in CBB, and at the center position especially. I think he was getting it, and he was earning JB’s confidence. It’s a shame he’s going to leave now. Oh well.

Unfortunate and terribly use of him by Boeheim. He should've played a lot more than he did and could've spelled time at PF to. Kid was a rebounding monster playing on a rebounding challenged team that finished with a losing record. A losing team could easily have found him 20 mpg at C and PF.

His advanced statistics from a rebounding standpoint would put in him the best Syracuse rebounders ever and pound for pound was the the biggest kid on the team.

Kid is an ACC starter just not at Syracuse because we have so much depth and talent.

Unfortunate and terribly use of him by Boeheim. He should've played a lot more than he did and could've spelled time at PF to. Kid was a rebounding monster playing on a rebounding challenged team that finished with a losing record. A losing team could easily have found him 20 mpg at C and PF.

His advanced statistics from a rebounding standpoint would put in him the best Syracuse rebounders ever and pound for pound was the the biggest kid on the team.

Kid is an ACC starter just not at Syracuse because we have so much depth and talent.
Also thought he should have gotten some time at the 4. Especially when we had 3 shooters out there anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom