Frank at the 4 and 3-2 zone next year | Syracusefan.com

Frank at the 4 and 3-2 zone next year

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Ok, we’re married to the zone as long as Boeheim is coach. But he has shown that he will make adjustments to the initial alignment of the zone.

So start two bigs and go 3-2 or 1-2-2 zone next year. I assume we’ll be back to caring about if we get stops or not.

Frank’s offense is limited but he has great strong hands as a rebounder, can jump well and keeps the ball high above his head after securing the rebound.
If he could just learn a half hook shot over the off-season and a few dropstep moves he could be a very serviceable center.

Frank has great potential as a 5 man if he can get stronger and develop some inside moves. But he currently has zero offense skills to play a forward position. I suppose if we had 3 great scorers at the 1-2-3 we could carry a zero scorer at the 4. Unlikely to have that.

Frank’s offense is limited but he has great strong hands as a rebounder, can jump well and keeps the ball high above his head after securing the rebound.
If he could just learn a half hook shot over the off-season and a few dropstep moves he could be a very serviceable center.

He is close to having a little post game in his toolbox. Big thing is the rebounding. If he could move well enough on defense at the 4 he could the perfect complement to Jesse as being an elite rebounder, rim protector and elite athlete. Given Benny's struggles, that was somewhat what we bad hoped he could give us at a minimum.

Frank's big game tonight confirmed to me that we should make a change after this year and hire the best coach available.
Yes, I’m quite sure that’s the plan.

We did play AO and Rick Jackson together for stretches in 2009.
So it’s not ridiculous.
I would play Frank at 4 if we had Jesse then with JE, BB, JG, CS would have had enough offense.

But we all know that wouldn’t happen.

He is close to having a little post game in his toolbox. Big thing is the rebounding. If he could move well enough on defense at the 4 he could the perfect complement to Jesse as being an elite rebounder, rim protector and elite athlete. Given Benny's struggles, that was somewhat what we bad hoped he could give us at a minimum.
Frank has DC rebounding potential

Ok, we’re married to the zone as long as Boeheim is coach. But he has shown that he will make adjustments to the initial alignment of the zone.

So start two bigs and go 3-2 or 1-2-2 zone next year. I assume we’ll be back to caring about if we get stops or not.
I would think a lot of us thought the same thing.

Frank’s a 5 all day. Jesse could develop as a traditional big 4 with 15’ range.

Yup and in 2012 we spent 10 mins a game with 2 non shooter PF/C on the court together with some combo of Fab/BMK/XMas playing together
In 2018-19 we had Tyus Battle and 4….other guys on the court.

Now all of a sudden we can’t play a 4 man that doesn’t shoot the 3?

Of course Frank and Jesse could play alongside at the 4 and 5. Syracuse plays best when it favors the defensive side.

We are not going to win most games strategizing around a shoot out. Some of our shooters haven’t displayed the consistency for that this year.

I’d be fine with this lineup.

Joe
Buddy
Cole
Jesse
Frank

Symir comes in when the other team begins raining threes

Imagine we would have scored at least 59 last night with a healthy Jesse taking all of Jimmy's minutes and then allowed less than 71 as well.

Of course Frank and Jesse could play alongside at the 4 and 5. Syracuse plays best when it favors the defensive side.

We are not going to win most games strategizing around a shoot out. Some of our shooters haven’t displayed the consistency for that this year.

I’d be fine with this lineup.

Joe
Buddy
Cole
Jesse
Frank

Symir comes in when the other team begins raining threes
We don’t run an offense that gets shooters good shots anyway. 40% shooters become 35% shooters at Syracuse because they are always taking tough, contested shots.

Our offense is great when we have an otherworldly talent that it doesn’t restrict(Pearl, Owens, Melo, etc.)

We don’t run an offense that gets shooters good shots anyway. 40% shooters become 35% shooters at Syracuse because they are always taking tough, contested shots.

Our offense is great when we have an otherworldly talent that it doesn’t restrict(Pearl, Owens, Melo, etc.)
I dream of a world with a real point guard that can run a pick and roll and be able to hit the roll man or find a shooter in the corner if a double comes. You know like what every single possession of good basketball looks like. And good lord, if the roll man can catch the ball and pass out of the double on top of that, my head might explode. May be a bit too sophisticated though.

I dream of a world with a real point guard that can run a pick and roll and be able to hit the roll man or find a shooter in the corner if a double comes. You know like what every single possession of good basketball looks like. And good lord, if the roll man can catch the ball and pass out of the double on top of that, my head might explode. May be a bit too sophisticated though.
We had that with the roll guy, but he got injured on Tuesday.

The corners open and the extra guard on the perimeter collapses when you utilize the baseline (Cole) and have someone who can create from the free throw line in (possible Jesse).

CJ and Grant absolutely mastered this. That team could’ve been even better had JB given Rak any sort of freedom.

AO and Rick were both 5’s too, and they played together for two years.
Didn’t say they didn’t, just that Frank can’t play the 4, especially when we have Jesse, who can.

Frank has great potential as a 5 man if he can get stronger and develop some inside moves. But he currently has zero offense skills to play a forward position. I suppose if we had 3 great scorers at the 1-2-3 we could carry a zero scorer at the 4. Unlikely to have that.
T-Rob

Frank’s a 5 all day. Jesse could develop as a traditional big 4 with 15’ range.
I think it's the opposite... Well maybe not out to 15'.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom