Frank | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank

Frank made a huge bucket when we were down 7 to cut it to 49-44 with 6:30 to play. And he had the great hustle play/block just before that (which unfortunately turned into a made 3 when ASU got the rebound).

He was quiet for a good stretch of the game, for sure... but the dude has strep. I’m willing to cut him a break.

I'm convinced that I watch a different Frank than the board. Dude had strep, played 40 minutes with a defender in his grill all game and still managed to hit some big shots and put us in a position to win as much as anyone not named Oshae Brissett.

I also hate how we play our zone and some of you think it's incredible so maybe my contrarian takes from the OT Board are seeping into how I view the basketball team.

Looked like he just didn't have enough fuel in the tank. I'm sure we've all had some sort of illness we thought we were over but weren't. The difference is we weren't asked to play 40 minutes in a win or go home division 1 basketball game.

He can't sag at the top of the zone. Dying inside or not, that's the thing that bothered me most with his performance, but his play at the beginning of the game (after the first 3 sloppy possessions) got us the win as much as Oshae's play at the end of the game.

Frank had to pace himself...give the kid a break he played 40 minutes after coming down with strep a few days ago. I’m sure his legs feel like jello right now.

Instead of questioning his integrity, we should be praising him for playing as hard as he did!

I’m not always a Frank fan — he’s not a PG but they’re asking him to play point, so fine, that’s on JB.

As others have said, he’s sick.

Not sure the last time any of you had strep, but it’s not fun. I had it two years ago, and was hurting for a full week.

Now I’m not 20 and a P5 athlete, but still.

Give the kid a break tonight.

Hughes isn't a pt guard. He won't play pt guard. It will be Frank and Carey with Hughes at the 2. Frank will probably play off the ball when Carey is in with him.
Good to know, thanks.

Regardless, add HoWash and Buddy to the fold and it will be good to have some interchangeable guard depth next year. I’m guessing Howard will still play a ton but flip between the 1 and 2 depending on who’s in the game.

Frank had to pace himself...give the kid a break he played 40 minutes after coming down with strep a few days ago. I’m sure his legs feel like jello right now.

Instead of questioning his integrity, we should be praising him for playing as hard as he did!
Questioning his integrity? Good lord. I was trying to gather insight on his rather off game.

I can understand the kid was sick but that doesn't mean he needs to dribble for 15 seconds, not even think about passing and then toss up a 20 footer that almost inevitably hits the front of the rim. The guy has shot 37% from the field all year and he should be looking to pass first or at the very least take most of his shots when driving in the lane.

I’m not always a Frank fan — he’s not a PG but they’re asking him to play point, so fine, that’s on JB.

As others have said, he’s sick.

Not sure the last time any of you had strep, but it’s not fun. I had it two years ago, and was hurting for a full week.

Now I’m not 20 and a P5 athlete, but still.

Give the kid a break tonight.

Were you Hungry during that time?

I get both sides of the "sick" thing here. He may have been mildly heroic, but nothing like the father of Scoop Jardine's girlfriend, when he had the flu. Im not knocking the kid, but some of those line drives were bizarre. Speaking of Scoop, I bit my tongue on some of my boy's free throws this season, even the 4 in a row he missed one game fairly recently, but dang the dude just looks stange at times. He also did some good things on occasion tonight, so without re-watching anything, I dont feel right critiquing the young lad.

Frank made a huge bucket when we were down 7 to cut it to 49-44 with 6:30 to play. And he had the great hustle play/block just before that (which unfortunately turned into a made 3 when ASU got the rebound).

He was quiet for a good stretch of the game, for sure... but the dude has strep. I’m willing to cut him a break.
The bucket down 7 was big. Kudos to Frank for gutting it out.

That said, on the block, the fast break never shoukd have happened. When one guard driives, the other has to rotate back to top of key to prevent. Frank did not rotate so had to come from behind. Did it toward the end of another game late in the season as well. Maybe Clemson or BC

This kind of thread reminds me of the Eagles fans criticizing McNabb for not caring because he was always smiling.

I think Frank's personality and demeanor are such that oftentimes he looks disengaged. I don't think that is truly the case. I think it's one of those things you can't really judge from the stands (or your couch) most of the time.

No doubt that Frank was feeling the effects of his illness but significant portions of his play last night strongly resembled what we've seen quite often from him this year. He's turnover prone (really slow to react when trapped), not all that active on D and shoots 38% from the floor and 33% from beyond the arc. If he played < 35 minutes every night and if SU had any inside scoring presence then I'm sure he'd be more productive. He is what he is.

I can understand the kid was sick but that doesn't mean he needs to dribble for 15 seconds, not even think about passing and then toss up a 20 footer that almost inevitably hits the front of the rim. The guy has shot 37% from the field all year and he should be looking to pass first or at the very least take most of his shots when driving in the lane.
Like he's got lots of options.

Strep is brutal...everybody's lucky that Frank was able to play 40 and make some good contributions, including icing it with two free throws that didn't even move the net. So that's a real reason for nearly all the inconsistent play, including those weird line drives into the bottom of the rim.

That said, it's an uphill battle when the point guard needs to back the ball up the court to protect his dribble from the defender. We'll struggle against that kind of play, and I have a hunch that Dixon's got a guard or two who will pose the same problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom