From A Duke Alum | Syracusefan.com

From A Duke Alum

hallcity

Walk On
I'm a Duke alum -- better say that since you'll seem to have better opinions of Duke fans if they're alums. I've been reading this board for a few weeks now. It has to be one of the most mature and sophisticated college BB message boards around. I want to say how happy I am to have Syracuse in the ACC. You're a great addition. Duke fans will continue to consider our "friends" from 8 miles down the road our greatest rivals but our games with Syracuse are going to be epic. Apart from your games with Duke, I wish you luck. Hope to see a lot of Syracuse fans at the ACC Tournament and again at the Final Four.

By the way, please beat up on Maryland and don't ever schedule them again after this season -- in any sport.

By the way, please beat up on Maryland and don't ever schedule them again after this season -- in any sport.

We already have them on the football schedule. Nice to have winnable OOC games vs B1G teams.

Congrats on your football success this year as well.

I'm a Duke alum -- better say that since you'll seem to have better opinions of Duke fans if they're alums. I've been reading this board for a few weeks now. It has to be one of the most mature and sophisticated college BB message boards around. I want to say how happy I am to have Syracuse in the ACC. You're a great addition. Duke fans will continue to consider our "friends" from 8 miles down the road our greatest rivals but our games with Syracuse are going to be epic. Apart from your games with Duke, I wish you luck. Hope to see a lot of Syracuse fans at the ACC Tournament and again at the Final Four.

Go F yourself!!! Just kidding.

Thank you kindly, sir! I know that the DBR board is quite good as well, although I've never been to it. This event may be less a game, and more a HAPPENING! It is crackers up here.

Come back in a couple hours. I'm working on a song.

We'll see if a rivalry of any sort develops. Anyone with a brain knows we won't become the new UNC anytime soon.

There's almost no history between SU and Duke. More in lacrosse than any other sport. And the two schools aren't natural enemies based on geographic proximity either. So, any additional "heat" that is generated will have to be based on a significant number of important, hard-fought and even "dramatic" games.

Syracuse doesn't form "rivalries" all that quickly.

Our rivalry with Georgetown was driven by the huge games in the 1980's, the behavior of Hoya players on the court (They introduced fist-fighting as part of the game) and the antics of John Thompson, Jr. ("The Carrier Dome is officially closed").

Since I live in DC, I am very familiar with Maryland. Selfishly, I'd like to see SU play them. But I am also aware of the behavior of the Maryland crowds, especially the student body. It's the worst in college sports by reputation.

But the "Not Your Rival" chant was one of the most brutal ever. It cut them to the quick.

You might want to brief the Cameron Crazy crowd to think about the signs and chants for SU because I can assure you the payback in the Dome will be a bitch. No Southern gentility here.

Promise not to schedule UConn and we'll see what we can do.

I assure you that Duke isn't going to schedule U.Conn in anything other than women's basketball and that will end after Geno retires. U.Conn's litigation and general obnoxiousness at the time BC and Va.Tech joined the ACC left lasting memories. U.Conn might be in the ACC now but for that.

I assure you that Duke isn't going to schedule U.Conn in anything other than women's basketball and that will end after Geno retires. U.Conn's litigation and general obnoxiousness at the time BC and Va.Tech joined the ACC left lasting memories. U.Conn might be in the ACC now but for that.
you are trying to be rational- don't you know the ACC was afraid that would dominate ALL ACC sports and THATS why they weren't invited, that and coach K is afraid of Kevin Ollie ( he played with Lebron you know)

Our rivalry with Georgetown was driven by the huge games in the 1980's, the behavior of Hoya players on the court (They introduced fist-fighting as part of the game) and the antics of John Thompson, Jr. ("The Carrier Dome is officially closed").
I think you meant Manley Field House.

I think you meant Manley Field House.

Thanks.

Of course.

I often thought he regretted saying those words. He was trying to be funny.

But being on the floor of the Dome when his team came on to the floor and meeting that tsunami of boos couldn't have been any fun

Unfortunately, scheduling Maryland is a smart move in recruiting. I think their movement to the Big10 is enough punishment for them.

Unfortunately, scheduling Maryland is a smart move in recruiting. I think their movement to the Big10 is enough punishment for them.

and we have a ton of local alumni, to boot.

From a Duke fan(I declined my admission to Duke, don't let anybody tell you otherwise), I thought I'd piggyback on the OP and wish you guys the best of luck tomorrow. I can't wait for the game, I know the atmosphere is going to be fantastic, and I'm as ecstatic for the future meetings as I am tomorrow.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this could be the start of a great "friendly" rivalry, with Jimmy B and K being good friends and all that, and I get the feeling it goes beyond those two, and there is a lot of mutual respect between the programs. So, good luck!

The Cuse will hate Dook, like the rest of your ACC brethren, soon enough. The calls (and no calls) in the game will be interesting.

From a Duke fan(I declined my admission to Duke, don't let anybody tell you otherwise), I thought I'd piggyback on the OP and wish you guys the best of luck tomorrow. I can't wait for the game, I know the atmosphere is going to be fantastic, and I'm as ecstatic for the future meetings as I am tomorrow.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this could be the start of a great "friendly" rivalry, with Jimmy B and K being good friends and all that, and I get the feeling it goes beyond those two, and there is a lot of mutual respect between the programs. So, good luck!

A "friendly" rivalry would be a first. But anything is possible.

I don't think any thinking SU fan doesn't respect the Duke basketball program. How could you not.

At the same time, I don't think you are going to find a lot of Duke fans among us. Except in the past when you played Georgetown. We aren't immune from the "Duke gets all the breaks" sense that infects so many.

Why Dick Vitale alone (aka "Dukie V") creates a who new group of Duke haters everytime he opens his mouth with the predictable and effusive praise.

Ha, trust me, I don't expect anyone to "like" Duke, other than Duke fans, of course. I was just speaking in broad terms between the programs. Fans, that's a different story. :)

Although, ftr, as I've mentioned here before, I do always pull for Syracuse when they aren't playing a rooting interest.

The Cuse will hate Dook, like the rest of your ACC brethren, soon enough. The calls (and no calls) in the game will be interesting.

I have never believed that refs weren't sub-conciously affected by their surroundings and some biases.

So I'd be shocked if Duke got any calls tomorrow let alone multiple calls in a game with 33,000 fans screaming at them.

This is a crowd of stone basketball fans, not football fans with nothing else to do on Saturday night. If they even suspect the ref s are tipping the scales towards Duke, they'll blow the teflon roof off the dome.

In other words, that ain't gonna happen.

Nobody has a choice of whether it will or won't be a rivalry. It could start as soon as tomorrow or not. That's the beautiful thing about rivalries, there are no guidelines and they just happen. They dictate themselves. We will inevitably be involved in a new maybe even bitter rivalry IMO. May as well be dook. Let's see what happens...

a duke fan with a 21:2 like to post ratio, whoduthunkit

30-2 now.

tumblr_mch3jsAaUq1r5f0tb.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors